AUDIO: Previously Unreleased Hybrid Theory 6-Track Internal Demo CD (May 8th, 2000)

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Sep 15, 2012.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Today we have exclusive audio for you of a rare and previously unheard demo CD dated from May 8th, 2000. Appearing by surprise recently on an obscure online eBay auction, the existence of this CD was previously unknown to Linkin Park collectors, and we are excited to be able to present these demos to you for the very first time.

Given to LPA by our own forum member Ginger, this CD contains the earliest known versions of Papercut, Plaster and With You as well as new mixes of pre-existing demos. While none of the demos have different lyrics (apart from a few added words in Papercut and the "talk show" intro for POA), many tracks contain completely different vocal takes from their finished counterparts, and even in some cases have different transitions, samples, effects or outros from what is found on the final release of Hybrid Theory.

Some notable differences include:

• "Plaster": Different mix to the David Kahne remix. Camera shutter is almost completely muted, and it does not include the 'remixed' Shut Up intro found in the previously released Plaster. Very similar to the album version, with a different vocal take for Chester's 'just like before'. Some scratches are missing.
    • "Papercut": Earliest version of Papercut now known to exist. Drum intro from album version is missing, and the vocal take is totally different from the final version. Outro is also different, ending on a different lyric than the final.

Track 5 on the CD; titled "Dust Brothers" (a homage to the group who provided drum samples for the final song) is a previously unheard demo of With You, that is different to the "Now I See" demo released for free to the Linkin Park Street Team back in early 2000. While similar in many ways to the final version, this demo features a noticeable lack of Joe's scratches in the intro and bridge, a slightly different vocal take as well as a different outro idea than what was used on the album itself.

"Crawling" features a partially different mix and vocal take, while "Points of Authority" and "Untitled" are already released demos that were heard prior to the release of this album, albeit now in FLAC format.

As for the facts: We know this to be done after the band was signed to Warner, and done in-between the release of the 9-Track demo and the internal Plaster WBR Acetate. The 9-track was created February 2000, and the HT WBR internal in August 2000 and the plaster WBR internal in June. The Plaster on this CD is a different mix than the David Kahne version which makes this version of One Step Closer (then known as "Plaster") officially the oldest known to currently exist.

We hope you enjoy these previously unseen glimpses into Linkin Park's recording history, and we would love to know your thoughts in the comments! A huge thanks must go to LPA member Ginger for giving these tracks to us exclusively. Thanks Ginger!

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

These are awesome! LOVE Dust Brothers so much. Papercut is so refreshing too. Crawling is also great.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Thank you very much LPA and Ginger - awesome!

VictorLPWE

VictorLPWE Well-Known Member

Very good! Thank you very much!

2xPutt

2xPutt Well-Known Member

Thank you LPA and Ginger! you will never truly know just how important you guys are to the Linkin Park community. Legends!

Joe

Mike's absence in the chorus of these demos stands out so much! I don't know if he's mixed really low or just not in some of the tracks in certain spots.

Ginger

Ginger Orangutan LPA VIP

And for those asking, Yes.. it does say Hybrid Theory under that tape on the disc, and under the whiteout on the top of the cover.

Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

Great find!

YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

Thanks so much, guys! :D

danielpsoad-09

danielpsoad-09 Well-Known Member

Great find! Thanks for sharing :)

Derek

The new ending to Papercut fucked me in the face the first time I heard it. Totally surprising.

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Highlights: Papercut final chorus, Dust Brothers final chorus, plus other general badassery.

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Ahh so this is the "something big" you were hinting at, Ginger! Thanks heaps, this is awesome! :)

ABaudelaire

ABaudelaire Active Member

Thanks! :D

Søuł

Søuł As rogue as they come

Listened to the entire thing now, here's what I think:

Plaster: DAMN, thats some good stuff,
    Papercut: Mindfucked
    Crawling: Also a mindfuck. Needs Mike, though.
    Dust Brothers: Intro needs more scratching...; No Mr. Hahn solo :(; Lack of Mike; AMAZING Outro (Liked this a lot regardless of my thoughts, lol)

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Downloading now...

Derek

Amazing how even with 12 year old songs this band can still find ways to surprise us. :lol:

YoMarques

YoMarques Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer.

My exact thoughts :p These are amazing!

Joe

I fucking love Dust Brothers. The outro is great and completely refreshing to hear. The absence of Mike in the chorus really makes this version stand out. Great to hear a different version of With You after so long.

Derek

Yeah I never thought I'd miss backing vocals so much. Without Mike doubling Chester the chorus just feels so empty.