Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar

AUDIO: Previously Unreleased Hybrid Theory 6-Track Internal Demo CD (May 8th, 2000)

Today we have exclusive audio for you of a rare and previously unheard demo CD dated from May 8th, 2000. Appearing by surprise recently on an obscure online eBay auction, the existence of this CD was previously unknown to Linkin Park collectors, and we are excited to be able to present these demos to you for the very first time.

Given to LPA by our own forum member Ginger, this CD contains the earliest known versions of Papercut, Plaster and With You as well as new mixes of pre-existing demos. While none of the demos have different lyrics (apart from a few added words in Papercut and the "talk show" intro for POA), many tracks contain completely different vocal takes from their finished counterparts, and even in some cases have different transitions, samples, effects or outros from what is found on the final release of Hybrid Theory.

Some notable differences include:

• "Plaster": Different mix to the David Kahne remix. Camera shutter is almost completely muted, and it does not include the 'remixed' Shut Up intro found in the previously released Plaster. Very similar to the album version, with a different vocal take for Chester's 'just like before'. Some scratches are missing.
    • "Papercut": Earliest version of Papercut now known to exist. Drum intro from album version is missing, and the vocal take is totally different from the final version. Outro is also different, ending on a different lyric than the final.

Track 5 on the CD; titled "Dust Brothers" (a homage to the group who provided drum samples for the final song) is a previously unheard demo of With You, that is different to the "Now I See" demo released for free to the Linkin Park Street Team back in early 2000. While similar in many ways to the final version, this demo features a noticeable lack of Joe's scratches in the intro and bridge, a slightly different vocal take as well as a different outro idea than what was used on the album itself.

"Crawling" features a partially different mix and vocal take, while "Points of Authority" and "Untitled" are already released demos that were heard prior to the release of this album, albeit now in FLAC format.

As for the facts: We know this to be done after the band was signed to Warner, and done in-between the release of the 9-Track demo and the internal Plaster WBR Acetate. The 9-track was created February 2000, and the HT WBR internal in August 2000 and the plaster WBR internal in June. The Plaster on this CD is a different mix than the David Kahne version which makes this version of One Step Closer (then known as "Plaster") officially the oldest known to currently exist.

We hope you enjoy these previously unseen glimpses into Linkin Park's recording history, and we would love to know your thoughts in the comments! A huge thanks must go to LPA member Ginger for giving these tracks to us exclusively. Thanks Ginger!

The LPA is self funded. We support our hosting costs out of pocket and through ads, and although we do not expect our users to donate...any monetary contribution helps.
    To donate towards hosting costs and help support the site, please click on the Donate button below.

Check Out AltWire - My Latest Project

These are awesome! LOVE Dust Brothers so much. Papercut is so refreshing too. Crawling is also great.

It's Like I'm Paranoid... m_macdonald's Avatar
    Thank you very much LPA and Ginger - awesome!
    BundleOfNerves: Mike just comes out of the gates swinging, though.
    Thanks LPA for selecting me as 'Monthly Mix-Up' Winner for:
    October '11 (Dance-Pop), November '11 (Mash-Ups), March '12 (Hip Hop) and November '12 (Castle Of Glass)
    and as a Runner-Up for: July '12 (Burn It Down) and October '12 (I'll Be Gone/Victimized/In My Remains).

Check out a whole host of awesome winners and runners-up right here: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35375
    To follow more of my music, check out: http://soundcloud.com/m_macdonald

Very good! Thank you very much!

Thank you LPA and Ginger! you will never truly know just how important you guys are to the Linkin Park community. Legends!

Mike's absence in the chorus of these demos stands out so much! I don't know if he's mixed really low or just not in some of the tracks in certain spots.

And for those asking, Yes.. it does say Hybrid Theory under that tape on the disc, and under the whiteout on the top of the cover.

Great find!

Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer. LPSTer. YoMarques's Avatar
    Thanks so much, guys!
    "Dream big, work hard and don't be an asshole." - Mike Shinoda

Extremely H! Vltg3 danielpsoad-09's Avatar
    Great find! Thanks for sharing

Shows attended:
    ✓ 09.10.2010 Club Hpico, Santiago, Chile - Maquinaria Festival (LPU M&G)
    ✓ 28.02.2011 US Airways Center, Phoenix, AZ - North American Tour (Backstage Tour & LPU M&G)
    ✓ 05.10.2012 Estadio G.E.B.A., Buenos Aires, Argentina - South American Tour
    ✓ 12.08.2014 PNC Music Pavillion, Charlotte, NC - Carnivores Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    These are awesome! LOVE Dust Brothers so much. Papercut is so refreshing too. Crawling is also great.
    The new ending to Papercut fucked me in the face the first time I heard it. Totally surprising.

It's Like I'm Paranoid... m_macdonald's Avatar
    Highlights: Papercut final chorus, Dust Brothers final chorus, plus other general badassery.

Ahh so this is the "something big" you were hinting at, Ginger! Thanks heaps, this is awesome!
    [✔] Firing Squad

[] Line Up

Nish: I've seen enough Shoutbox to know where this is going

What's a 'Grey Daze'? ABaudelaire's Avatar
    Thanks!

Listened to the entire thing now, here's what I think:

Plaster: DAMN, thats some good stuff,
    Papercut: Mindfucked
    Crawling: Also a mindfuck. Needs Mike, though.
    Dust Brothers: Intro needs more scratching...; No Mr. Hahn solo ; Lack of Mike; AMAZING Outro (Liked this a lot regardless of my thoughts, lol)

Sierra Hotel India Echo Lima Delta Hybrid's Avatar
    Downloading now...

Take it how you take it, I'm the opposite of vacancy

Amazing how even with 12 year old songs this band can still find ways to surprise us.

Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer. LPSTer. YoMarques's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek The Infamous View Post
    Amazing how even with 12 year old songs this band can still find ways to surprise us.
    My exact thoughts These are amazing!

I fucking love Dust Brothers. The outro is great and completely refreshing to hear. The absence of Mike in the chorus really makes this version stand out. Great to hear a different version of With You after so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I fucking love Dust Brothers. The outro is great and completely refreshing to hear. The absence of Mike in the chorus really makes this version stand out. Great to hear a different version of With You after so long.
    Yeah I never thought I'd miss backing vocals so much. Without Mike doubling Chester the chorus just feels so empty.

Thread Information