Alien Ant Farm- News

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Tim2, Jun 6, 2003.

Tim2

Tim2 Ambient

Alien Ant Farm Wrap "truANT"

Band bounces back after last year's bus accident

Dryden Mitchell

Add to Favorites!

Email this story
    Printer friendly version

Alien Ant Farm have completed work on truANT, the follow-up to 2001's breakthrough ANThology, set for an August 19th release on Dreamworks.
    Guitarist Terry Corso, bassist Tye Zamora and drummer Mike Cosgrove visited Atlanta last week to do the final mixes with engineer Brendan O'Brien at his studio. The final mix was done on May 21st, one year to the day after the band was involved in a bus accident while on tour in Europe. The crash killed the driver and injured all members of the band. Mitchell suffered a fractured C-2 vertebra and required surgery to fuse two vertebrae and a halo device that required screws to be drilled into his skull. Mitchell still has nerve damage that he likens to "a bad sunburn all the time, but at least now it's tolerable. Before it was just painful."

If a silver lining can be found in the tragedy, Mitchell says the downtime for surgery and physical therapy allowed the band to take a break from the success of its cover of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal," which treaded close to novelty. "Having this time away was the best thing for us," he says. "I don't wanna be known as that band, and at the same time, I don't wanna not be known as that band. Every once in awhile, if I hear that song on the radio, I'll think, 'Wow that's a pretty punchy song.' But I think that whole Ant Farm thing got pushed in everyone's face in a Weird Al kind of way. At the same time, I respect Weird Al more than just about any freakin' rock act out there right now. He's a pretty gnarly musician too."

Unable to perform, Mitchell spent much of his convalescence writing new material. Earlier this year, the band tapped the then-untested Dean and Robert DeLeo of the Stone Temple Pilots to produce the record. With the songs already written, the DeLeos "added insight" and helped the band shape what Mitchell calls "a progressive rock album." "I think Ant Farm has enough of a handle on itself that I'm confident that we could've produced this album ourselves," he says. "But you need that outside source to tell you when you're getting a little silly. They did a great job. I know they're gonna have a great career doing this."

Among the new set of songs is leading single contender "1,000 Days" and the Latin excursion "Tia Lupe," recorded in seven time, complete with Spanish lyrics, brass and acoustic guitars.

"It's pretty eclectic," Mitchell says of the record. "There might be kids that won't like that stuff, but I want a record that in ten, fifteen, twenty years I don't put on and get embarrassed about it. There's nothing worse than doing something that you're not gonna like later on. I'd have a hard time playing rap-rock and later showing it to my kids and having them tell me how gay I am."

Even though the accident isn't directly referenced on the album, Mitchell says it still permeates the sound. "I feel a lot older," he says. "It was just so much time to think. Everything that seemed important to me fell apart, but in a good way, I guess. It was such a tragedy, but at the same time I'm kinda glad I went through it. There's bands that have nothing tragic happen and it takes them two years to make a record. I can guarantee I won't be as proud of any record for the rest of my life as I am about this one."

ANDREW DANSBY
    (May 30, 2003)

Great to see that these guys are ok and in the studio recording music. I'll be sure to get their new album coming out in August.

LPxchicaxMKS

LPxchicaxMKS Well-Known Member

Wow..i didnt even know they were in a bus accidient no wonder they werent coming out with any new music..any ways i will be SURE to get there new album because ANThology is soo frekkin amazing (w00t) i love that CD it is one of my favorite CDs. :D

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

It'll be great! :D

Was that the interview from RollingStone.com?

Tim2

Tim2 Ambient

Yep, it's also up at alienantfarm.com as well. ^_^

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

their last album sucked so bad

i didnt like anything on it cept from a couple of songs

i hope this one is better

White Pony(turntables)

White Pony(turntables) Ambient

their last album was so freaking great

i liked all the songs

I BET THIS ONE IS GONNA BE FREAKING AMAZING

CinnamonSpider

CinnamonSpider Well-Known Member

Hey Pony, i haven't seen around lately! :angry: :lol: Howdy!
    ^^^ yep i agree, the album kicked ass!
    hopefully the next album rocks harder
    btw, thanks for the news dude.

Can't wait