LPA Monthly Mix-Up August 2012: WINNER

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, Sep 7, 2012.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Finally, the results are in! The quality of entries this month stirred up much debate amongst our staff jury, making this an incredibly difficult month to determine a winner and runner-ups. After much deliberation, this is how our LOST IN THE ECHO Free-For-All MMU for August 2012 shaped up:

WINNER: zwieR.Z
    CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

We really liked the approach zwieR.Z took this month, whose LOST IN THE ECHO remix possesses real emotional intensity. Through the use of synths and orchestra, zwieR.Z created an atmospheric and memorable reinterpretation of LITE that we felt was very polished and professional-grade.

It should be reiterated this was an incredibly close race. We had to choose three runner-ups this month as opposed to our customary two, just to highlight the remixing talent of our community members. Here are your (alphabetical) runners up!

RUNNER-UP: DJIntensity
    CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

DJIntensity's up-tempo remix had an almost Numb-esque style to its synths. We really liked how he manipulated Mike and Chester's vocal parts to provide a fresh take on the song. We respect the degree of difficulty this involved without an official vocals track. Be sure to stick around for the outro!

RUNNER-UP: minuteforce
    CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

Minuteforce's take on LOST IN THE ECHO starts off as an airy, lower-tempo remix but steadily builds into a great bridge and conclusion that is only fully appreciated when you listen to it via headphones.

RUNNER-UP: Xefuzion (Xefuzion is Ded Remix)
    CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

Xefuzion did a great job remixing and extending LOST IN THE ECHO into an electro-rock epic. We especially enjoyed how he layered so many musical parts yet managed to still retain the remix's cohesiveness. Keep an ear out for the subtle piano in the background during the verses.

We would be remissed if we didn't thank our community for their hard work this month. This month was challenging due to the lack of an official acapella for LOST IN THE ECHO, meaning remixers were limited in what they could do with vocals. Let's see what you can do in September's Ambient/Dark Ambient Free-For-All!

Synx

Synx Member

Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

Congrats to zwier.Z and all the runners-up!

Nish

Nish Well-Known Member

Awesome quality yet again. Like I told Zane, legal issues aside, I wouldn't mind a yearly compilation of the 12 MMU winners+standout tracks. I would exchange my currency for that. haha

P.S. Congrats Tony on getting runner up :awesome:

Serenity

I second this. It'd be nice to have it all organized in a certain order with a cool cover artwork so it doesn't look like a mess in my library. :rolleyes: 'Course, I could just do that myself, I suppose.

DJIntensity

DJIntensity Well-Known Member

YESSSS

Love you guys <3

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Congrats winners/finalists! I'm bummed to not see my name up there, but what can you do? May I ask what the general opinion of my mix was among the judges? I am just curious...

Serenity

I hope you can keep submitting remixes for subsequent mix-ups. I enjoyed your mix and I think it's only a small matter of time 'til your name is up there!

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I thought your transitions were great, but I didn't feel the songs really matched up well to be put together. I wasn't feeling the slowed down LITE. I think you executed it well, and you score major points for creativity, but as an overall song it just sounded off to me. Very good effort, though. :)

6161 Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the DJIntensity's remix version :)

zwieR.Z.

zwieR.Z. Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you guys! To be honest, I wasn't even sure if I should enter this month's competition because the level was really high! But it looks like it was worth it ;) Congrats to the runner-ups!

farisimo96

farisimo96 Active Member

congrats to all! :) this was my first entry so was not expecting much but til next time haha

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Oh, dear God - thank-you, guys! :sorcerer:

MajiksMonster

MajiksMonster Producer/Musician

Damn. I really thought I was gonna make it up there this time. Oh well. Everyone who's up there really deserves it. Maybe next time. Congratulations everyone.

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

Well, of course i want to say congratz to all in the list.
    But hm...i really don't know if it sounds egoistic but i am actually disappointed.
    That doesn't mean that i don't like the zwier.Z., xefuzion DJIntensity or minuteforce entry, but here is the thing.
    (i dont know that about DJIntensity or minuteforce) People like zwieR.Z. and xefuzion have a lot more material and experience to win.
    AND ACTUALLY we never had an acapella - so it was just a bonus and i thought it would be more fair to dont use it.
    I know everyone is allowed to enter but for those guys who doesnt have experience, a really old computer or they dont have the best music program its kind of hard to win against those people.
    I really love the MMUs, they improve me and push me to make music in general. - Just wanted to say i dont want to change the results or so, i am fine with it, but its just really disappointing.
    Yeah, maybe it sounds very very egoistic but i worked hard and expected more than that. Nevermind - i love all entries and want to give a statement to that.

zwieR.Z.

This, this is a very good remix, the background fits in perfectly and you put in the vocals in a good way. I am very impressed. Otherwise i need to say this is not the best remix you did.
    We all know, its just my opinion but maybe it could be a bit faster. Nevermind, this remix is awesome. Good job, i like it!

DJIntensity:
    What the hell, sick intro! SICK VOCALS! Damn this is awesome! The electro-ish stuff is nice aswell! :D I don't know what to say more besides that i really like it.

minuteforce: Yeah this is awesome! This is my favorite of this list for sure. I like the electronic plucks. They fit in so well! The drums are badass! :D Big Like!

Xefuzion: We all know Xefuzions works are awesome. So i don't need to explain that after all but here is a favorite thing i liked about this remix.
    Vocal Chopping and the electronic strings. Piano is good too. Love it!

So that is my opinion :) Good job guys

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

All of you guys got some sick remixes. Congrats!

zwieR.Z.

ThePrototype - you need to be more patient. It's not a matter of computer or music program - it's about experience. This is actually the first time that I won a remix contest and I've been making mixes for 7 years now. You just have to accept the fact that it takes time to achieve something ;)

Pat

Pat LPA VIP LPA VIP

of course i know that time and experience is everything, that is true, i am not mad or so, i only expected something different this month AND
    that you won the first time a contest is only kind of true :p
    you were 1st in the leaderboard of The Catalyst even if you didnt win for the judges :bradwink:

zwieR.Z.

Oh, so someone did notice that :p Yeah, it was a big success for me but it doesn't really count as a win ;)

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ This.

Some of us don't have as much as a "professional producer" would when it comes to resources; we don't have the best tools, often, nor the best facilities to use them in. What we do have, though, are ideas, and we learn with whatever we've got in order to put those ideas down.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012