CASTLE OF GLASS Meaning

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Malvar, Aug 3, 2012.

Malvar

Malvar Well-Known Member

To make it clear, I didn't write this. I saw it and found it would be cool to share with you guys. It's really interesting.

Here is what he said:

This is my favourite song of the album. The imagery was quite moving.

The title: Castle of Glass. Glass breaks easy. Castles are supposed to be strong, to defend the people. This reminds me of illusions; they shatter like brittle glass (also i was watching index(anime) and touma's ability came to mind). Our delusions may be the very things we hold close and took refuge in; our raison d'etre may turn out to be lies.

I guess it is this feeling of trying to separate truth from lies that relate to people: how we have to fight, even against the 'currents' in our mind, to heal our wounds (ironically sometimes from the fray itself).

may i suggest word choices that are not accidental:
    'flying' could be along the lines of having a higher purpose/ on a higher plane
    'silver wing' refers to planes, eh?
    'sirens' from greek mythology, pretty & music lured sailors to rocky shores. again lies.
    After flying so high, we feel 'warmth' from the skies and 'drop' from our high and mighty places? We realise 'twas all but a 'dream' (reminds me of the dream masters in don miguel ruiz self-help books about toltec culture lol)
    'Home' like our dysfunctional families? (reminds me of "Dreams are private myths, myths are public dreams" from The power of myth by campbell, moyers)
    Also, there's this point about attachment theory (rmbed from johnathan haidt's: the happiness hypothesis) ie.negligent parents and 'avoidant' attachment the kids grow up with.
    'sorrow' is what ppl who grow up in shitty homes feel like.

___CHORUS.___
    what's with the 'cracks' in the glass castle eh?
    we're all just 'broken' inside, but it's ok. cos it's who we are: 'incomplete'
    That is the 'truth', of us.
    When people understand 'others'(psycholgy too). That is what they 'see'. Themselves.

"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."
    Leonard cohen

Text by tableforcson

Shmoanator

Shmoanator Guest

To quote Chester: You just kicked my mind in the balls.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

That's a pretty good insight. I'll have to post mine one of these days...

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Or, you know, it's just about mans finiteness.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Honestly.

I think the band just writes a song like this. They don't look too deep into the lyrics.

Although that's probably not true, I'm very skeptical about every word having its meaning. It's impossible to genuinely write a song like that.

Because these days people can find meaning in some really smelly bullshit.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

And then there's official word from the band themselves the other day saying Castle Of Glass is "inspired by the stories of soldiers returning from combat and trying to find their place in society."

I do like the amount of depth you went into though!

Rohit LP

Rohit LP The Silent Red

similar thoughts had come but in a bit diff way..i'll put my whole interpretation shortly .

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Taken into the interpretation from a "Medal Of Honor" point of view, this song can be looked at as soldiers who are behind enemy lines convincing the enemy that they are not there.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

I'm usually all for "make up your own interpretations," but the song is pretty damn straight forward...

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I agree. Not completely, but I do.