The REAL reason we are boycotting Chik-Fil-A

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Dizzy Slay, Aug 2, 2012.

Dizzy Slay

Dizzy Slay Well-Known Member

I've read several comments on various sites that say things like "What?! just because he doesn't agree with gay marriage?!" or "All this cause his opinion isn't libral?!"

Those choosing to boycott Chik-fil-a, we're not doing it because he believes in traditional marriage. If he were JUST some dude who didnt like gay people getting married, no one would care or at least I wouldn't. If that were the case I would still eat at Chik-fil-a.

The reason were boycotting it is because he uses our money to support his views. I don't want someone using my hard earned cash to promote an idea I disagree with. Yes, I know that that is the American way at the moment but I can't boycott the entire government. Sadly, we need the government. But a culinary establishment that uses my money for evil, THAT we can boycott.

Anyway, my point is, no one cares that he doesn't agree with gay marriage. It's that he uses our money to support a cause we dont believe in against our will.

Feel free to correct me if any of my statements are false.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

It's no longer "your" money once you buy his product. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

What happened to boycotting them because everything they make is disgusting, pickle flavored heart attack globs?

But also this;

Also also, remember when the right was flipping their shit about the "gay oreo" thing, and how everyone made fun of them for boycotting food stuffs? Yeah.

Dizzy Slay

I belive you own what you earn. So to me it IS my money. But you make a great point none the less. I guess its just a matter of perspective

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
    Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I support gay marriage and delicious chickenstuffs.

If you feel so piss-moan about it, just donate to an opposite cause.

Just don't get in the way of me and my scrumptious noms.

Dizzy Slay

Feel free to have all the noms you like Baby Minus :)

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

... but didn't Anti-Gay Gus Fring earn the money by cooking and then trading fried animal for it? I'm not really sure how you're coming to this conclusion.

Dizzy Slay

Im not out to attack a guy who is just making a living. I'm just saying I disagree with him.

Hybrid

Politely speaking, you shouldn't have any say with what anyone does with their money. Just like the consumers of your employer shouldn't tell you how to spend your money, since it is your money now, and no longer theirs. Also, if we want to get into the semantics of how evil big corporations are, I have the perfect link that will make Chick Fil A and this whole fiasco seem like hog wash.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

The Owner of Chick-Fil-A is using his profits in a very legal way. He is absolutely free to do what he wants with his own money. Gay Marriage supporters are almost hypocritical, trying to prevent him from spending money in a way they disagree with. It's his freedom to do so and they shouldn't try to stop him.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

The point (s)he's trying to make is that (s)he doesn't want to fund, directly or indirectly, a campaign against something (s)he believes in.

Battling these semantics is like a dog chasing its tail. It ultimately gets this conversation nowhere.

Hybrid

Cool, so why even bring it up? If you don't want to shop(eat) there because you disagree with the owner's beliefs and views, then don't go There. Problem solved. I shouldn't feel victimized and cast out if I decide to go somewhere and buy something and no one else should either. I'm going to do it because they have a product that I want. They sold me a product. I never donated money, they did. That doesn't make me a bad guy. As far as my stance on marriage equality goes, I support it. If two people of the same sex or a different race love each other, their not hurting me any by being with each other.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

It certainly does not. This entire thing has been blown so out of proportion that it's ridiculous. Chick-Fil-A is getting so much free publicity, and a lot of new business from the religious right who wish to support their views.

It's sad that the conversation of marriage equality in the U.S. is centered around the actions of a fried chicken restaurant chain.

Hybrid

I whole heartedly agree with you.

Dizzy Slay

^exactly. and i never said that what he does with the money was wrong or illegal. I'm not arguing right or wrong. I'm just saying the boycott isnt about a man with an opposing opinion. Its about refusing to contribute to a movement I disagree with. He's perfectly entitled to do whatever he wants within the relm of legality. And its fine that he believes in tradional marriage and wants to express that and even fund it. Thats all fine. I'm just saying i dont in any way want to be a part of it.

^Yup. And it is sad. We all would like to have this centered around the White House, but were not rich enough to fight the issue there. so instead we have little childish squables around restaurants.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Ya know, I know how to make some kill meals. Yeah, better than Chick-Fil-A. Speaking of, God, I'm hungry.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Ya know, the initial thing about chick fil a didn't bug me. Its the supporters. I'm not really going to get into it because there's no way I can voice my opinion with offending. but I will say some people really don't deserve the freedom speech. When your speaking such hypocritical bullshit in my mind you should lose your right.

Hybrid

I hope with everything I've said, I haven't been hypocritical or offensive.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

No no, this is nothing to do with anything you've said. I'm talking about these religious zealots who are going out of their way to support chick fil a. I completely understand where you're coming from. I may not totally agree but I understand what you're saying.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't really think people are upset about the idea that their money is going towards a business that opposed same-sex marriage. I think people are upset that there are still people out there who hold a value (albeit religious) that due to someone's sexual orientation, they should be deprived of the same right to marriage that others have with no argument. I think it's getting to the point, for a lot of people, that the religious holding of that sort of belief really just cannot stand anymore because we should be beyond the point as a country where people are deprived of certain rights based on something they can't help. It becomes more discomforting when a popular business goes outright forward and states this belief, because as entitled as they are to state their views, the view itself is very discomforting.

And now what's becoming particularly upsetting is that Chick-Fil-a is now a medium of expressing this view for a lot of people, and if people are not going to use the medium, then they're going to see it as one for others. What's a shame now is that you have people who are going to Chick-Fil-a for the very purpose of voicing their opposition to same-sex marriage, and people not going (or going and kissing their same-sex partner) for the very purpose of voicing their support. And on top of that, you have bystanders who now see everyone who goes as some sort of gay-hater and those who don't as gay-lovers (to be very simple, I don't mean those in a negative way). Chick-Fil-a did that to itself, but it's disturbing. Now I feel uncomfortable going to Chick-Fil-a because for now, that's what everyone has on their minds.

Truthfully, I think this is a very scary feeling because now we may get to the point where other businesses are going to start making stands for particular views - and as such we're going to see some major indirect customer selection at this point. Businesses could now become the microphone for populations, and as if it isn't scary enough that businesses and corporations can donate their money to whomever since under Citizens United that's an arm of free speech. We're going to see a big change in the dynamic of what it means to shop or eat at a certain place, and what discourse surrounds the customer who chooses to go here or there. I think that's the bigger problem we're facing, even though I also really hate that there are people who can't see beyond what I feel is the narrow scope of their religion and stop discriminating the LGBT community in this fashion.