Time for a more organic sound?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Cure4TheItch, Jul 19, 2012.

Cure4TheItch

Cure4TheItch I fuck up everything I see, fighting in futility.

After many listens to Living Things, and many thoughts of why this album hasn't resonated with me as much as albums in the past, I think I finally have the main reason.

I'll start by saying that I love electronic elements. Linkin Park's ability to weave them into songs with ease is something that I love about the band. BUT, I think using those "tools" to convey a heavy emotion like they have been doing is beginning to take away from a lot of the passion in the songs. And the songs on LT were passionate, you could tell by the vocals. I just feel like the guitar does need a little bit of a comeback to really back up the words. What I'm concerned about is that maybe they've grown a little too comfortable with their style as it stands now, and that it will get in the way of them practicing on the pure musicianship of their music. Mike makes things easy for them. He comes up with a great sample, an epic backbeat, and then half the song is already completed. I would like more creativity in Rob's drumming. More intricate and complicated guitar parts and basslines. More scratches from Joe. I know they're capable of it.

The portability of their equipment, and the fact that Mike is such a tireless worker helps their creative process. But at the same time, I'm beginning to think it might hurt them as well if they go into the studio thinking "oh, well Mike came up with all of this great stuff on the road. Let's just roll with it and add a few things here and there" And then BAM, another good-but-not-great album.

Hybrid Theory was great. Meteora (although I personally love it) was a let down because it was HT 2. Minutes to Midnight was great because they spent so much time wondering how they could be innovative. A Thousand Suns took the same premise from Minutes to Midnight, and they made one of the best albums you could ever dream of listening to. There was tension in the studio that made them become perfectionists. And then on LT, they were so comfortable with what they had, they took it, ran with it, made commercial sellers, but something that lacked the emotions that I felt on the four previous releases.

I think if they took the time to come up with something that feels organic, and then add in the processed sounds later, it would be a solid step in the right direction for everyone: the band and their fans.

I probably contradict myself a lot here, but it's a feeling that's hard to explain. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
    TLC

TLC Well-Known Member

I see your point. I really like this album, but it is not a great, innovative album. Every song starts with a electro/synthesizer, i think it is to much. I really hope they will concentrate a little bit more on Chesters incredible voice and real instruments on the next album (like The Messenger was), just Chester, a guitar, drums, maybe a piano, and please some longer songs.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I love Living Things, but it's not an album I'd want them to make every time. I'd love to see a more structured, professional, and creative Minutes To Midnight. I think that would be ideal. Linkin Park can make the hits, and it's awesome that they show that from time to time, but I also love their creative and experimental sides, so I'd love them to go with, as you said, a more organic sound (or at least on the more experimental side) next album.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I wouldn't be against that idea.. Though I've loved every album of the band so far, if you ask me I wouldn't think that going to a more organic sound would necessarily be a step back, as many people fear, they can take their creativity and experimentation into working with more tangible elements, who knows, it will all depend on how the band is feeling creatively at the moment and the time they want to dedicate into creating a new album.

They've stated a couple of times that they want to make music "faster", so who knows if there could be another album where they can really challenge themselves again, not trying to say they didn't this time, but challenge in the sense of like, deconstructing their sound and putting it back together again and that takes time, I don't know if I'm explaining myself well here but I think you get my point :lol:.

Not asking in any way for LP to go back to their old sound, but to see them experimenting the same way they have in the past few years, with more organic elements. Would be cool I guess.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

I think you're confusing "organic" with "personal taste and preference" there.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I'm with you, OP. As much as I like a synth/electronic oriented LP, I'd like it more if it was an occasional sprinkle of it as opposed to being a/the main component.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

LIVING THINGS was made from building up and broken down of all 4 previous records from the past and smash them altogether on one package, one listen experience.. But talking about experimentation side, LIVING THINGS can not be par with A Thousand Suns, because ATS was very risky and above all on experimentation aspect... If they can focus on the next record about mixing HT Style + MTM instrumentation + ATS atmosphere.. that would be an organic record since MTM is very organic particularly on instrumentation..

Geki

Geki >.

The album is way too digitally and perfected for my liking. The album contains good songs, but they don't have much of a replay value for me. MTM is my favorite LP album, I've been listening to it everyday since the leak in early May of 2007, along with all the b-sides and demos and stuff like that. I love it the most because it represents a special time in my life, it's the only LP album NOT to be recorded at NRG which makes it awesome, and it also is very organic sounding. The music is amazing because it's organic sounding, everything about it. That's just my two cents. I don't think LP will ever make music like MTM ever again, so I can only hope and pray for more demos on LPU releases. It sucks but I don't expect the band to make organic sounding music anymore, they're way too into the electronic/digital scene now, replacing guitars and real drums with drum machine and big beats now. I hate that, but oh well.

jare0674

jare0674 There's a seat here along side me...

I want an album of piano driven songs with prominent string arrangements on most/every song, some guitar but nothing to heavy, some atmospheric electronics, Chester and Mike both singing on every track (no screaming), and a lot of harmony and gang vocals.

Cure4TheItch

Cure4TheItch I fuck up everything I see, fighting in futility.

I'm not. I'm talking about organic in the sense of the songs still being ambitious while still feeling natural.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

I rather more pianos then guitars :D

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

No guitars, strings, or piano. Just bongos.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

As long as the return to guitar in the forefront isn't like the application of guitar on I'll Be Gone. Jesus christ, that guitar is annoying.

Quack

Quack Well-Known Member

For the most part I really didn't like the guitar work on the first half of Living Things. Especially on I'll Be Gone and In My Remains. I don't know, its just so....dull and unimaginative. If the guitars have a greater presence on the next record I'd like to see more creative stuff. Kind of like Castle of Glass.

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

IN MY REMAINS & I'LL BE GONE has generic formula used, dull & it hurts to ears.. and its too DDS-ish for me...

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Organic does not equal guitars. Organic doesn't equal elements from "Old linkin park" brought back to the forefront.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. There are ways of feeling "Organic" without going "Back to der rootz", in a sense. Look at Powerless ((Especially leading from Tinfoil)). Feels incredibly organic to my ears.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    lpxerotheoryfan

lpxerotheoryfan Can you do it like this?

I don't know...sometimes I wish they'd go back to their Hybrid Theory EP era sound. I liked the more hip hop sound they had, it just seemed to flow together a lot better. Not to mention Mike had some of the best raps. I mean they're still good, but he uses the same lines sometimes that he used in ATS, in LT. I like Living Things, but it gets old fast. Unlike Hybrid Theory I can listen to that cd everyday all day and never get tired of it. But I guess it's just everyones personal preference. I think they need to get rid of the heavy use of electronics and focus on making music like they used to. Not saying it has to be another Hybrid Theory, but it'd be nice to use that same writing process I guess. Maybe a combination of HT+M2M. Now that would be a good album.

Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

You're thinking of it wrong. The "stripped down" sound (a la MtM) is what he means. He'd rather they sound like a raw band while still keeping their sound

Geki

Geki >.

Which is why Powerless is my second favorite song on the album. I swear that track must have originated from the MTM sessions because of that.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

If they would mix Minutes To Midnight, A Thousand Suns and Living Things they would have a perfect album. An album with a couple of guitar tracks, a couple of electro tracks and to mix it on the others. In other words, an album with mainly ATS influences, where songs would be like Powerless, a little electronics, some piano and guitar. That would be awesome.