Vinyl Vs CDs Vs Cassettes Vs Downloading

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by rundown228, Jul 16, 2012.

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

Which of the 4 do you prefer in your methods of listening to music

Vinyl records
    Compact Discs
    Cassette Tapes
    Downloading/mp3'ing.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Ah, now an interesting topic!

Well for me, I download alot of music. But that said I own over 100+ CD's that's still growing.

When It comes to a band I really love (e.g. LP) I have to own each one of their albums. Not only just to have it physically, but as for a backup, the artwork, CD quality audio - that I can rip, re-rip for an unlimited amount of time. that i can transfer to my phone & multiple hard-drives etc. Now to me that's worth the money when its a band you really love.

But I'd NEVER buy music off iTunes, or any other digital music store just because your buying something that with a few clicks could be deleted forever. & buying something that you don't have physically just doesn't seem value for money. So when i get into something new, I either download it (via utorrent), or listen to them on spotify.

And if it turns out I love the music, I buy the CD's. :D

As for Vinyl & cassettes, they where a little out of my era, But that said, I love listening to my dad's vinyls. There's something about putting them on the deck and placing the needle on the record. I for see myself getting into vinyl collecting when i'm older, judging by how popular its becoming again.

I love the warm organic sound of Vinyls. Nothing can beat Vinyls; they're simply amazing. CDs are a close second though. Sometimes CDs are better than Vinyls.
    Mp3s are a third ,and I hate cassettes. The sound is horrible.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I've always loved listening to music straight off of CDs instead of an MP3 download. It just feels better.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Download the album. If I like it, buy the CD. If I REALLY like it, buy the vinyl. If they don't have vinyl, buy the CD and get it in FLAC. Well, really, get it in FLAC either way.

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Pretty much what Minus said, though I only like buying/playing vinyl if the record came out before CDs were even out.

Minus

There's just something about vinyl that makes the music feel that much more real. Like I own most of NIN's records on vinyl. It's definitely not a decision I regret.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

There's just something more intimate with having the CD. It's just a fuller experience. . . And last year I lost $1300 worth of music that wasn't backed up. But since I've realized that having the CD is better anyways.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

:facepalm:

What's wrong with Vinyls? There's nothing wrong with them. Some people will like the warm analog sound of Vinyls and others will tend to favour the crisp and more digital sound of CDs. I like both, and they have their strengths and weaknesses, especially with different styles of music.

Minus

Vinyls kick ass. There's something about the medium that makes the music sound so much more whole.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

320kbps mp3

FLAC only if I want a lossless, perfect copy that I can save in my music archives till the end of time. The human ear can't tell the difference between FLAC and 320kbps, so unless I really love the album and want to have FLAC so I can compress it to whatever I want later down the road, I just get 320kbps and save a ton of space. The only bad thing is you can't do any compressing with an mp3 file without audibly lowering the quality. That's why a lossless copy can be really nice to have.

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

CD for special occasions. 320 kbps MP3 otherwise.

FLAC is a pointless waste of space considering that a MP3 of high enough quality is barely distinguishable from it. It's incompatible with a lot of software and a collection of FLAC will take up more size. Annnnnnnnd trav beat me to that point but I don't care.

Minus

I always feel like I can hear the difference between a high enough bitrate MP3 and a FLAC. Maybe I'm just a picky motherfucker, but it sounds better. Definitely so when the FLAC is taken from a vinyl.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

The plural of 'vinyl' is 'vinyl'. Not 'vinyls'.

320 and FLAC sound the same unless you have some ridiculous sound system. Most DJs use 320. I like to have my music in V2, but I don't have what.cd download rights anymore so I just stick with whatever I find.

Maemi

Maemi Well-Known Member

I always prefer CDs. I don´t care so much when it comes to other artists, but I want to enjoy LP music on CDs, because the sound is just the best. Well, the last time I heard a vinyl was when I was little and I remember that the sound was amazing, but now I don´t have an opportunity to use it.
    I don´t think that it is worth to buy a digital version not only because of the sound, but also because I can´t touch it...
    I guess that cassete tapes are not preffered nowadays, especially among younger people, because the sound is not good at all. They are nostalgic for me, though, as I used to listen to them when I was a kid.

Minus

I guess that applies to me then. Go sick sound system go!