Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I've got some thoughts about Age of Ultron (which, funny enough, I've still yet to see)... just some speculation and whatnot, so, spoilers:

It seems to me as though no one's happy that Quicksilver's dead. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he's staying dead, according to Kevin Feige. But it seems as though it was a huge mistake on Marvel's part. A lot of people are pointing out that it seems to have been Marvel's way of sort of conceding Quicksilver to Fox, since Fox didn't use Scarlet Witch; therefore, Fox gets to keep Quicksilver and make tertiary references to Scarlet Witch, like they did, and Marvel gets to keep Scarlet Witch and make tertiary references to Quicksilver, which is inevitable at this point. But I'd agree with most fans' thinking that Marvel made a mistake in killing off Quicksilver, at least so quickly.

It was always in my head that Thor would die in Age of Ultron to set up the events of Ragnarok. Then, once I saw that War Machine in Falcon were in the film, I figured that one of them was going to die, to sort of sow the seeds for Civil War – which would've made perfect sense, given War Machine's alliance with Iron Man and Falcon's with Captain America. I could've also seen Black Widow or Hawkeye being killed off, and a lot of people seemed to have thought that it was going to be Hawkeye who died in Age of Ultron, especially after all the interviews in which his character was hyped up as the best character in the film and the scenes involving his family. The thing is, we've all got some sort of emotional connection to all of these characters. Aside from Falcon, and to a lesser extent Hawkeye (because we'd only seen him in The Avengers up until this point, not counting his quick cameo in Thor), we got to follow these characters through more than one movie, connecting with them and learning to thoroughly enjoy them. Quicksilver, on the other hand, was introduced only to be killed an hour later.

I'd read somewhere that Aaron Taylor-Johnson was signed on for four films, but I don't remember where I'd read that. Since Kevin Feige has stated that Quicksilver is absolutely dead and never coming back, it seems like these contracts are more of a "just in case" policy rather than a "you'll definitely be in four films" policy. Rumor has it Lizzie Olsen is only signed on for two films; Civil War would be her second, and fans are already predicting that it's going to be her death in Civil War, and not Ant-Man/Giant-Man, that finally causes Captain America to realize that he must surrender. Then again, it could also be as simple as them not knowing where they want to go with the character, but it seems odd to sign an actor to a four-film contract when you knew during the filming of The Avengers that the character wouldn't make it out of Age of Ultron alive, and then sign on that character's sister, who you probably knew was going to make it out alive, to a far shorter contract.

Anyway, I'll probably have a more concrete opinion once I see the film, but for now, I'm going to stick with my own opinion that it should've been Thor, War Machine or Falcon who died in Age of Ultron – Thor to set up Ragnarok and, to a lesser extent, Civil War; and War Machine or Falcon to definitely set up Civil War (although, were that the case, it should've been War Machine who died).

2. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Age of Ultron was completely underwhelming. Everything was worse than I thought it'd be.

3. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Very fucking true. It's what made the first 'Avengers' utterly unbearable to watch for me. Not to mention the cinematography in that flick was completely god-awful. Granted, I'm excited to see 'Age of Ultron' and am positive that I'll thoroughly enjoy it far more than 'Avengers'.

4. Will

Ant-Man director Peyton Reed, in a new interview with Empire magazine, has hinted that a couple of the Avengers, including Falcon, may have cameo appearances in the movie.

5. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

That wouldn't suprise me in the slightest, since Paul Rudd is going to be in Civil War. The post-credits scene of Ant-Man will no doubt be him being recruited into The Avengers.

6. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

[thumb]https://scontent-nrt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11137108_1161668483860290_6842676720204474029_n.jpg?oh=3187ad76e8e66181113245669e8b2ec6&oe=560BA4AD[/thumb]

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Marvel being a good sport

[thumb]http://i2.wp.com/bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/CHo0m8yWcAERieO.jpg-large.jpeg[/thumb]

8. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

9. The Joesen One

10. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

That thread kinda fizzled out, didn't it? Looking at the last page or so, that thread's existence hasn't hindered Phase III discussion, even from the person who created the thread in the first place.

11. The Joesen One

:lol:

[thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/06/23/ant-man-poster-01.jpg[/thumb] [thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/06/23/ant-man-poster-02.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/06/23/ant-man-poster-03.jpg[/thumb] [thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/06/23/ant-man-poster-04.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/06/23/ant-man-poster-05.jpg[/thumb] [thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/06/23/ant-man-poster-06.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2015/06/23/ant-man-poster-07.jpg[/thumb]

12. The Joesen One

13. The Joesen One

14. Gibs

One thing worth noting though is that all though critic websites like RT are giving the film a fairly low positive rating, sites like Variety and IGN have been giving the film pretty great reviews.

15. Will

Yeah. I haven't read a bad review yet. I can't wait to go see it. I'm more excited for it than I was for Age of Ultron.

16. Gibs

SPOILERS FOR ANT-MAN:

Did anyone else find it a bit odd that Janet van Dyne was never given an actual face in the film? In both the Nuclear Missle flashback were she "died," and in the picture of Hank Pym's family, we were never given a proper look at her. This signals to me that they plan on casting her eventually, since she it still alive. Maybe she found a way out of the sub-atomic realm, just as Scott Lang did. Or in a future film, they'll be able to go and save her.

17. MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I would actually be OK with Catherine Zeta Jones doing it, like Michael Douglas wants.

18. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

https://twitter.com/NatalieAbrams/status/626056650168926208

So this year

April - Daredevil
    October (guessing) Jessica Jones.

Later guesses.

Luke Cage
    DareDevil S2*

Iron Fist
    The Punisher* (Daredevil spin-off if he's popular and doesn't die.)

Daredevil S3
    The Defenders.

Maybe they'll do Blade in 2019. :/

19. Will

I'd rather see season three of Daredevil and season two of Iron Fist premiere together in 2018, rather than have The Defenders premiere right after a solo series. Daredevil and Iron Fist are going to be the most important shows to The Defenders overall, so I'd be surprised if Iron Fist doesn't have a second season prior to The Defenders. They can push back The Defenders to 2019 if it means I'll get a second season of Iron Fist first.

I'm holding out hope Marvel does a Midnight Sons series (they can rework the overall storyline for it) run for the second phase featuring the Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, and Moon Knight, with the other characters continuing on their respective shows at the same time, culminating in an even larger series in which the Defenders team up with the Midnight Sons against some threat, which would most likely occur during the fourth phase of the MCU.

20. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

You pretty much read my mind here.