Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I'm a little confused about the Hiddleston thing too. I'm expecting him, Idris Elba and Hayley Atwell to only show up in Scarlet Witch's hallucinations, but maybe there's a bigger presence to be made.

Also if you noticed Chris Hemsworth is now second in the billing compared to the first movie (it used to be Downey, Evans, Ruffalo, Hemsworth), although this is a good thing, because I hope Thor has a bigger presence in the movie and I've always liked Thor a lot more than Captain America, even though Cap's movies are superior to Thor's movies.

I wouldn't look too much into Downey's "ego" or something like that. He's known to be nice to everyone behind the scenes, and although he comes across as arrogant in his social media pages, I heard it's his way of not falling back into his heavy drug addiction.

2. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I keep forgetting about the Scarlet Witch's hallucinations. That's a good point. Although it's been heavily rumored Thor returns to Asgard at some point during the film, especially when you consider Hemsworth's stated in interviews how Thor "sees the bigger picture," so encountering Heimdall and Loki makes sense. I think it's obvious from watching the trailers Thor's got a much bigger and important presence in this film than the first, which is another reason I think it's going to be Thor who "dies" at the end of the film (if any characters die), which will set up the events of Ragnarok, like I said. All I know is I can't wait for this fucking movie. :lol:

And that makes sense. Like I said, it's nothing really against him as a person. It just bothers me how he comes across as thinking he's more important than the other actors when it comes to the ensemble films. Like, I'll be super mad if he's listed before Chris Evans in the credits for Civil War. :lol:

3. The Joesen One

From this link: http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/tv/prowling-the-set-of-netflixs-daredevil (it's a new BTS look in Daredevil)

[​IMG]

4. Will

:lol:

Well, at least we know the Netflix series are going to be more graphic than the network shows and the films. :lol:

5. Will

It's been revealed and confirmed that Julie Delpy (Before trilogy) will appear in Avengers: Age of Ultron. There's also a strong possibility that Linda Cardellini (Freaks and Geeks, Scooby Doo) will appear in the film, although there's some sort of discrepancy over which list she appears on – the cast list or the guest list – for the film's premiere in Los Angeles.

Naturally, a shit-ton of people are assuming that one of them has to be Carol Danvers, but I don't think either of them are playing Captain Marvel. First of all, Delpy's 45 years old, which seems far too old to be playing Captain Marvel. Hand-in-hand with that, Cardellini's 39 years old, which also seems far too old. I don't know what characters they could be playing, but based on their ages, like I said, I don't think either of them are playing Captain Marvel. And, fuck, there isn't even any proof that Captain Marvel will be in Age of Ultron in a cameo-capacity or otherwise anyway.

Anyway, I've also seen a lot of fan-pining for Katheryn Winnick (Vikings) to play Captain Marvel. I've got two issues with this. The first issue's that she's not that great of an actress, and Marvel's hit home runs with all of their casting choices so far; Winnick would be a huge strike-out. The second issue I've got with Winnick's her age as well. She's 37 years old, which, again, seems to be too old to me.

I think Marvel's going to cast Captain Marvel young enough to feature her in more than one or two films. (I'm not saying the other actresses couldn't do it, mind, but it's very unlikely.) There's every possibility that Captain Marvel's going to be one of the New Avengers following the Infinity War, so it makes sense for her to be played by a young actress.

Personally, I think Yvonne Strahovski (my personal choice) or Emily Blunt would be perfect as Captain Marvel. They're both gorgeous and they've both got experience playing kick-ass bad-ass women. Casting either of them as Captain Marvel would be the home run Marvel's known for hitting. They're both 32, which means they're young enough at this point that you could see either of them in the role for the next ten years. They'd be in their early 40s, which isn't a stretch. The others would be 55 (Delpy) and pushing 50 (Cardellini, Winnick). It just doesn't seem plausible or feasible.

I know some of the other actors are "advanced-age" (like Robert Downey Jr. and Don Cheadle and others) but I'm of the opinion that they were cast before Marvel's grand plan really came together. I don't think they realized they were going to be able to make 482 movies before people got sick of them, so casting younger actors didn't even cross their minds at the time. A lot of their casting choices now have been very young actors, presumably to keep them around for a lot longer than maybe an older actor would like. (I know Bananadonkey Calculatorbonanza is 38 at the moment, but Doctor Strange has always been an older man in the comics, since he was a long-established surgeon for many years before he ever got his powers; casting a young actor in the role wouldn't have made any sense.)

Naturally, casting actors age-appropriately (like I pointed out with Companybakesale and Doctor Strange) is absolutely going to have to happen in some cases. But for other characters where the age doesn't really matter, casting younger actors absolutely makes perfect sense (such as casting Spider-Man super-young now, since he's also probably going to be a major character after Infinity War).

Who do you guys want to see as Captain Marvel? Like I said, my preference is Yvonne Strahovski. Swoon.

6. The Joesen One

Andy Serkis is confirmed to be Ulysses Klaue and Claudia Kim's character is Dr. Helen Cho, who in the comics, is the mother of Amadeus Cho, a supporting superhero of the Avengers.

Just thought some people want to know.

7. Will

I find it odd they changed the spelling of Ulysses Klaw's name.

8. The Joesen One

New EW cover is out, with a nod to Jim Lee's X-Men #1

[​IMG]

9. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

10. The Joesen One

11. Gibs

None of the characters on the show are strong enough to stand on their own, especially Deathlok. :lol:

12. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks like shit.

13. Will

This makes no sense. I love Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but a spinoff series makes no sense. Yes, season two's been great so far, but there's no guarantee season three will be any good (I mean, I hope it's fantastic, obviously). I'm worried making a spinoff will weaken the main series.

Unless, of course, their plan's a little more cunning that what the article lets on. I've been saying all along I think Talbot's going to be setting up the Thunderbolts. I could see the spinoff series being based on the Thunderbolts, reintroducing General Ross in the MCU, and tying in closely with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which would be fucking amazing, especially considering Baron Zemo's going to be in Civil War and he's a major player with the Thunderbolts post-Civil War.

14. Gibs

I could definitely see this being Agents of S.W.O.R.D., considering the current plot-line in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

15. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

[​IMG]

16. Will

Feige has confirmed that Peter Parker will be Spider-Man and that he'll be 15-16 years old, but there will be no origin story as they seem to be taking it on faith that viewers understand where he got his powers.

He said this kid running around in a Spider-Man costume has been operating for a while (probably since the Battle of New York) and my guess is that S.H.I.E.L.D./Tony Stark/Nick Fury/whoever is already aware of him.

17. The Joesen One

18. Gibs

[video=youtube;pWdKf3MneyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdKf3MneyI[/video]

Meh.

19. The Joesen One

It's better than the first trailer, to be honest. :lol:

And that last part was quite funny. :lol:

20. Will

Huh.

As it turns out, the reason that Marvel Studios didn't produce a solo Hulk film during Phase Two or announce a solo Hulk film as a part of Phase Three is because Universal Studios still owns the distribution rights for solo Hulk films. Marvel's allowed to feature Hulk as a part of their Cinematic Universe because they're not solo films; this is similar to how Marvel's been able to feature Glenn Talbot in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. because it's not a solo television series.

I guess Kevin Feige clarified all of this last summer, but I'd missed it.

He also said the same thing is true about Namor, the Sub-Mariner: Marvel's allowed to produce films featuring Namor, but if they were to produce a solo Namor film, Universal would be the studio distributing the film and, ultimately, taking a final cut of the profits, which Disney and Marvel have been trying to avoid. (Although, to be fair, this doesn't quite explain why references to Namor haven't been made yet, considering they can feature him in an MCU film without giving him a solo film. It would've made perfect sense for him to be in a post-credits scene in The First Avenger, finding Steve's body after the plane had gone down. Then they could've featured him in The Winter Soldier some how.)

(This is why, after Disney bought out Marvel, there's still a Paramount logo on several Phase One films, because Disney had bought out the rights to all the characters that Paramount had owned, including Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor.)

Anyway, it seems to me like Marvel's going to be content with waiting to produce a solo Hulk film until the rights to the Hulk revert back to them completely, which could be any time between now and a million years from now, based on the deal they'd made with Universal. Universal has no rights to make their own solo Hulk film, so it's going to be on Marvel to wait long enough to let the rights revert back to them (which I can also see them doing with Namor).

(This means that my ideas for a Thunderbolts TV series are shot in the foot until the complete rights to the Hulk revert back to Marvel.)

As far as characters like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider, Blade, and the Punisher are concerned, their full rights have reverted back to Marvel over the past couple of years. They're not affected by deals such as this one. Marvel owns the full rights to those characters.

One other tidbit:

Kevin Feige has stated that Spider-Man isn't going to have a post-credits scene in Avengers: Age of Ultron (and, indeed, I think he said there isn't any post-credits scene at all; there's a mid-credits scene, but not post-credits). He also said Spider-Man won't be mentioned at all, based on the timing of the Sony/Marvel deal and the filming of Age of Ultron in general. Of course, he could be saying that simply so if there is a reference in the film, it isn't spoiled.

[​IMG]