Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I disagree. I think having Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch as Inhumans would be a great way to begin to introduce the Inhumans in the MCU that isn't just Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I don't think it will cheapen the Inhumans at all. If anything, it'll cheapen the mutants, which have comics-wise slowly been dismantled as a sort of petty (but smart) play against Fox.

It'll make the Inhuman stable stronger, I feel. And give strong support for the upcoming Inhumans movie as we'll already be familiar with 2.

I have a feeling the Chitauri scepter was used not to give the Maximov siblings their powers, but to try to control them. The scepter has never been used to give someone abilities, but as a weapon or to change allegiances as shown in Avengers 1.

3. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Let me explain what I mean.

The only way an Inhuman can have superpowers is if they undergo terrigenesis via exposure to the Terrigen Mist. Otherwise, a character like Skye/Daisy is never going to have powers manifested.

I find it highly unlikely that the Twins underwent terrigenesis, and I posit that they received their powers through Strucker's experiments, or from the scepter somehow. The scepter is capable of not only mind control (which is where the now-disproven theory that it contained the Mind Stone came from) but also astral and energy projection. The Twins very likely got their powers from it.

Having a powered character with no explanation as to where their powers came from and to call them Inhuman automatically cheapens the Inhumans as a whole, I think. They purposefully undergo terrigenesis; randomly finding a set of Twins on Earth who underwent Terrigenesis seems ridiculously unlikely, even for HYDRA.

Back in the day, when the X-Men were being invented as mutants and whatnot, Stan Lee opposed the idea because he saw it as a cop out. "This person didn't get their powers from an external source so they must be a mutant." He hated that. He gave in eventually, obviously, but it's still a cop-out, I think, and that's half the reason I dislike the X-Men (of course, that's just my opinion, naturally). It's the same thing if the MCU makes every nonexplainable superpowered character an Inhuman. It'd cheapen actual Inhuman society, I think.

I think I explained that clear enough. I hope.

4. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

They already confirmed Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver got their powers because they were experimented by Baron Strucker with Loki's sceptre, and they were the only "survivors". Hence the Cap 2 cameo.

5. Will

I wasn't aware there was any confirmation. That's fantastic, then. Like I said, I just felt having them be Inhumans would cheapen the Inhumans when they're finally introduced properly (and not just on AoS). Inhumans are, in a way, created via terrigenesis, and randomly finding two Inhumans, like I said, just seems extremely implausible, even for HYDRA and their vast network.

6. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

I know its not a movie that's part of this universe, but being a Marvel film, seems to make sense to share this here.
    Initial thoughts: mehh.

[video=youtube;mI2J9ixAZdw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI2J9ixAZdw[/video]

7. Gibs

I rather like the trailer and the tone, though that might be because I was expecting it to look like utter shit.

Either way, Kate Mara is always a wonder to look at. :awesome:

8. Will

I don't think it looks half-bad. But I think that's because I, too, thought it was going to look like garbage. I doubt I'll watch it before it comes out on Blu-ray/DVD, though.

9. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I found out some plot details about Civil War

[​IMG]

10. Gibs

11. Will

I'm absolutely stoked for Daredevil. I'm hoping, since he's not wearing his "traditional" costume, that his traditional costume will come later, once he's joined up with the other Defenders.

12. Will

Well, it looks like the Twins, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, are indeed going to be Inhumans, and that the Chitauri scepter was indeed used to unlock their powers.

13. Gibs

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  14. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

^ So stoked.

15. Will

Oh my gods does that look amazing. FUCK. I'm so jacked for this now. I think I'm more excited to see Daredevil than I am to see Age of Ultron.

This is how the original movie should've been.

16. Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

As someone who enjoyed Daredevil, the film, I'm absolutely blown away by how much better the trailer is looking. I'll chalk this up along with all the DC shows I'm watching. Pumped!

17. Will

Also, after watching the most recent episode of Agent Carter, I really, really want to see a series based around the Howling Commandos.

18. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Daredevil looks awesome.

There are other ways to do that. And Bucky trying to fill Steve's shoes will only serve to underscore the fact that he isn't Steve, nor fit to carry the Shield. Steve Rogers is what makes Captain America Captain America, same goes for Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bucky taking up the mantle have an aspect of "keeping up appearances" so the public wouldn't realise Steve was dead? Because their ID's were secret in the comics, but that's not the case in the MCU.

Bucky should find redemption as his own person, not by trying to imitate someone else.

He really doesn't.

That isn't what recasting means. When the time comes Marvel will recast the characters of Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor, etc., like they already have done with Banner, Rhodey & Fandral.

Bucky & Falcon should be well rounded characters in their own right, not pretenders to Steve's throne while he's temporarily unavailable (because lets face it, no matter who takes up the mantle in the comics, it always comes back to Steve.)

19. Will

The public knew Steve was dead. He's "buried" in Arlington National Cemetary in a public funeral kind of thing (although Tony Stark takes him back to the Arctic where he was originally found, and Namor swears to guard his body). Bucky didn't become Captain America because they wanted to hide the fact Steve was dead. Bucky became Captain America because Steve wanted Bucky to become Captain America. That's why, if Steve's killed in Civil War, Bucky has to become Captain America. (Well, assuming they keep that aspect from the comics, which, as far as I'm concerned, I don't see why they wouldn't.) Bucky never pretended to be Steve when he was Captain America. He did things his own way. Bucky becoming Captain America was extremely important to Bucky's storyline. Like I said, it brought his redemption story full-circle, which I'm 99% sure the writers intended Steve to realize, which is why Steve wanted Bucky to become Captain America.

And I know what "recasting" means, thanks. I didn't mean literal recasting. My point was if they're going to recast Captain America because Chris Evans' contract runs out, the best way to "recast" Captain America would be to just have Sebastian Stan, as Bucky/Winter Soldier, or Anthony Mackie, as Falcon, become Captain America. That'd leave open the possibility of Chris Evans returning as Steve Rogers, just like he does in the comics, to become head of S.H.I.E.L.D., leaving the Captain America title to someone else.

edit —

I'm not saying that's how Marvel's going to tackle this, because obviously, I don't know. I'm just saying that would be the most logical way to go around it. Those were very major points in the storyline, as far as Cap himself and Bucky are concerned, and to change those things would be to undermine those characters and what they stand for. Cap eventually goes back to being Cap again, and Bucky goes back to being the Winter Soldier, which I can see happening if we learn Cap's not really dead (just as in the comics) and he returns in time for Infinity War 2. Then Bucky would go back to being Winter Soldier (for that film, anyway) and Steve would go back to being Cap, before giving the title of Cap to Bucky permanently at the end of the film, launching Phase 4 with Bucky as Cap and the leader of the New Avengers. That's just how I see it playing out, anyway.

I can see the main characters being recast, but I can also see Marvel going about it in such a way that their "superhero titles" aren't recast, just the characters who become those superheros. For example, I can see Iron Man being recast, but not Tony Stark. Things like that would leave open the possibility for those actors, like RDJ, to come back in later movies as their original characters in cameos or even actual roles, without screwing up the continuity. Eventually, depending on how many phases Marvel wants to go through, it'd become unrealistic to have a spry 30-year-old Steve Rogers 20 years from now. Simply recasting the title of Captain America as opposed to Steve Rogers makes the most sense to me.

Like if Marvel got Spider-Man's rights back, and made a film, and that actor's contract was up at the end of, say, four films... At the end of the fourth film, Peter Parker would give the mantle of Spider-Man to Miles Morales. Then the role of Spider-Man would be recast, but not the character of Peter Parker, which would allow Marvel to bring the actor who played Peter back later if they wanted to, keeping up with the continuity.

Of course that's probably not how they're going to do it, but it's how they should do it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  20. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

DareDevil is going to be rated TV-MA

[​IMG]

Says the same when you load up the DareDevil page on Netflix.

For reference, that's the same as Game of Thrones, The Leftovers and Elfien Lied.

So, it'll actually be a mature adult comic book TV series. Based Netflix.

I assume all the other Marvel TV series on Netflix will be TV-MA as well.

AKA Jessica Jones as TV-MA is going to rock hard. A mature, female led, series that doesn't throw any punches is gonna be so awesome. If it's just as brutal as DareDevil seems to be, my god, Netflix wins the generation.

Speaking of AKA Jessica Jones, here is the first look Krysten Ritter Filming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015