Marvel Movie Universe: Phase 2

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by ChuckCheese, Jul 15, 2012.

1. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

2. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

3. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

OK, so – I had an idea.

Spoilers:

Alright, so, we all know there's every possibility Cap's going to "die" at the end of Civil War like he does in the comics. It's pretty much an inevitability at this point. I was talking to someone about this, and we're both pretty sure Chris Evans' Marvel contract runs out once Civil War is done filming. If that's the case, I can see Bucky replacing Steve Rogers as Cap, just like he does in the comics. But here's how I think they're going to do it: The end-credits scene for Civil War is going to be Bucky standing near Steve's grave (or near a memorial, or whatever), and Fury walks on-screen and asks Bucky to be Cap, handing him the shield, and says it's the way Steve would've wanted it. That'd give me crazy goosebumps. I'd be willing to bet Chris Evans will sign on to do at least one more film—Infinity War 2. Then we'd have Bucky-Cap in the first part of Infinity War, and Steve will come back in part two.

Also:

I found out Marvel recently regained the rights to Namor the Sub-Mariner. I really, really hope Namor's going to be introduced some time soon—especially with Aquaman coming out in the next couple years. If they bury Steve at sea like they do in the comics, I could see them (Iron Man and Fury, at least) meeting Namor there, with Namor telling them about how he witnessed Red Skull's plane going down and blah-blah-blah. That'd set up an as-yet-unannounced Namor movie.

Anyway.

4. Gibs

I was under the impression that Chris Evans' contract expired with Infinity War Part 1.

And ya. I've figured for a long time that Bucky would eventually assume the mantle of Captain America once Steve's inevitable death occurs.

5. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I'm pretty sure Bucky is going to replace Steve during or after Infinity War 2 to kick off the next phase of Marvel.

6. Will

I've never seen an official report on when any of the actors' contracts expire; it's all conjecture, based on the storylines. His contract doesn't have to expire with the first Infinity War; it could just as easily expire with the second, which I think is much more likely, given how the Civil War storyline plays out in the comics. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I'd have thought it would expire with Civil War—because, logically, it follows that he'd have been signed on for three standalone Cap films and three Avengers films, since it's already been stated he had a six-film contract.

I don't think they'll wait that long to have Bucky become Cap. Like I said, I think it's going to happen at the end of Civil War, and when Steve does "return" (like he does in the comics), it'll be as Cap again for Infinity War 2 and then he'll retire as Cap, passing the mantle on to Bucky, and he'll become the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (or at least hold a similar title, since Coulson's the Director at the moment). That's just how I see it, anyway.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  7. The Joesen One

His fate isn't impossible, since Frank Grillo confirmed he'll be back as Crossbones. Also, I remember seeing this in an interview:

8. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

The interesting thing about replacing Cap is that both Bucky AND Falcon have taken over the shield. In fact, Falcon is the incumbent Captain America.

9. Will

I had another idea in the interim:

We all know Red Skull disappears through a time/space rift at the end of The First Avenger. What if Thanos somehow manages to bring him back? He's certainly powerful enough, and depending on how many Infinity Stones he's gotten a hold of at that point (including the Tessaract—the Space Stone), he could bring Red Skull back. I could see Red Skull being the "main secondary" villain in the first Infinity War (Thanos being the "main main" villain – lol) and the Avengers, with Bucky as Cap, finding out that Red Skull has Steve's body, just like in the comics. Red Skull could've even been brought back early enough by Thanos to influence Agent 13, like in the comics. Once they find out Red Skull has Steve's body, and that he's not dead, they storm his compound (or whatever) and kill Red Skull for good, then retrieving Steve's body. Steve becomes Cap again (with Bucky becoming the Winter Soldier again) for Infinity War 2. Then, once Thanos is dealt with, I could see Steve retiring as Cap and "officially" asking Bucky to be Cap (or even having Falcon take over as Cap if Bucky wants to remain the Winter Soldier). Then I can see Steve becoming Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Coulson above him as Alexander Pierce was above Fury in The Winter Soldier.

Then Chris Evans could continue to appear in the MCU, he just wouldn't have to dedicate so much time to the role.

Just an idea.

10. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Evans original contract was for 6 films, but a few days ago he was quoted as saying he "thinks there's 3 more".

Kevin Feige has also said flat out that once the current casts contracts are up they'll "James Bond it", as in recast the roles.

I'm really baffled by the amount of people who want to kill these characters off. "It happened in the comics!" - 1) yeah, after like 70 years of stories, 2) This isn't the comics, Civil War won't be a panel-for-panel recreation of the story, it'll be adapted to fit the MCU, as the writers have said.

Marvel have an ongoing Universe here, killing off major characters will bottleneck the hell out of it. And killing characters off to bring them back later (especially when you know they're coming back later) is lame.

I could see Steve giving up the Shield at the end of Civil War and going Nomad for a while, but no, no "killing" him. And no Bucky-Cap, (nor Falcon-Cap).

Red Skull needs to come back though, I agree. That's an unfinished thread that needs to be tied up. Being one of Thanos' Generals would be badass.

11. The Joesen One

Hugo Weaving, however, said that he doesn't want to return as Red Skull.

12. Will

Bucky becoming Captain America brought his redemption story full-circle. Bucky needs to become Captain America in the MCU. If they're going to "James Bond it," what better way to recast Captain America than to have Bucky or Falcon become Cap? It makes absolutely perfect sense.

I'd read somewhere that it's not so much that he doesn't want to come back so much as he's not even been involved in any conversations regarding whether or not he'd want to come back if Red Skull's brought back.

Also, I thought Hugo Weaving was horrible as Red Skull; his accent was absolutely atrocious, and the character as it was written for the movie wasn't compelling at all. Recasting him might be better in the long run anyway.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  13. The Joesen One

14. Gibs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still no pics of Vision.

15. Will

I'm not going to lie, I'd hoped they'd cast Zemo in Civil War. This paves the way for a Thunderbolts movie, if they ever bring back General Ross.

edit —

Joss Whedon doubtful to return as director for Infinity War

David Tennant cast as The Purple Man, Doctor Zebediah Kilgrave, in A.K.A. Jessica Jones

[​IMG]

DAVID TENNANT IS IN THE MCU AHHHHH

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  16. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

That's 3 Doctor Who alumni in the MCU. Fantastic!

17. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Who are those last two to the left in the mag cover? They weren't in the first movie.

18. Gibs

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. They are siblings. Quicksilver is basically Marvel's Flash, and Scarlet Witch can manipulate probablity through hexs (or controls chaos magic, depending on which version you read). In the comics, they are offspring of Magneto (and therefore Mutants), but since Fox holds the rights to most things X-Men, they will probably be Inhumans.

19. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I think it's Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl.

20. Will

I hope they don't make them Inhumans. That'll cheapen the Inhumans, I think, by simply making everyone with an unexplainable power an Inhuman.

Strucker was seen experimenting on/with the Twins at the end of The Winter Soldier, so I think they're going to explain that they got their powers from experiments involving the Chitauri scepter Loki used during The Avengers.

Also, has anyone else noticed that it sounds weird to refer to the Twins as "the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver"? It's always "Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch." :lol:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015