New Dragonball Z animated movie to be released March 2013

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Brandon, Jul 11, 2012.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-07-10/toei-toriyama-work-on-march-2013-dragon-ball-z-film

I'm glad Akira Toriyama is playing such a big role in this. The recent DBZ specials that have been released have been mostly disappointing.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Excuse me while I react...

[youtube]Bc7cpTBi3_I[/youtube]

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I dunno. There are a ton of DBZ movies and a lot of them were pretty meh.

I think they should have let Toriyama rest the series after the Frieza saga.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

I haven't liked any DBZ movie. None matched up to the epicness of the series.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I couldn't care less. Sorry if I'm the only one.

Snail

Really? Ok.

[​IMG]

I jest...I jest.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Aaaah, now it's something amazing!

I have not been a fan of all DBZ movies, but seeing Toriyama working on DBZ again is a very good surprise. Can't wait :)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Now I hope he does the right thing and either a) stops the series after the Cell Games or b) goes with his original plan of making Gohan the main character after the Cell Games.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Am I the only one who enjoyed all of the DBZ sagas? :lol: I am watching Majin Boo saga right now and having a blast. What I didn't like was DBGT but that's another thing.

Let's see how this turns out, I think I've only watched 1 movie and can't remember much of it.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

This is pretty exciting. Can't lie and say I wasn't obsessed with this as a kid.

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

No ahah I enjoyed all of them too (well, as you said, DBGT is another story...).

In fact, for the last couple of months, my little bother (7 years old) has been watching DBZ, he's still discovering the thing and he is like in the middle of the Buu arc right now. I've watched some episodes with him, and the truth is I'm still enjoying them as much as back in the days :lol:

Minus

There's nothing wrong with the Buu saga, really. But I can't help but feel it isn't canon due to the original intentions of Akira Toriyama. His original plan, as evident with the end of Cell Saga, was to have Gohan take over as the main character of the series. There's a REASON why he is the strongest character after defeating Cell. The problem is, the fans gave such horrible backlash at the idea that Toriyama dropped that idea and decided to make Gohan a horribly pale shadow of what he should have been. Which is not something I enjoy reading. I'd rather have the unadulterated original vision of how the series would've played out. Just imagine how exciting the series would've been had it taken a different path.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

This.

As a side note, my nickname was "Joebuu." Got it while my friend and I were watching Major League... Yes, THAT Major League with Charlie Sheen. Anyways, Soriano's god in the movie is "Jobu." So, I took liberties and added and E and a U. I did this because of my name and because I am fan of Buu as a character.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Really? That's disappointing to hear. Gohan was one of my Top 3 characters. Goku and Vegeta weren't in my top 5. What he became after the Cell Saga was mighty annoying. Even without training he was still pretty strong later on. And the movies sucked??? Well some of them did but Bardock - Father of Goku was awesome. The History of Trunks was awesome. Broly's movie wasn't too bad but a lot of the movies suffered from terrible endings.

I'm excited to hear more about this new movie. DBZ was one of the first animes I got into back when Toonami was huge.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Here's to hoping this one's longer than 40 minutes...

Snail

The franchise was supposed to end on three different occasions.

- Dragonball was intended to be a gag short, with it's completion after the first few chapters.

- The Freeza arc

- As mentioned, the Cell arc.

I wouldn't say Toriyama dropped the idea completely. Excluding the fusion characters, Gohan was the strongest member of the heroes by the end of Dragonball Z.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

This is true. Mystic Gohan was stronger than Super Saiyan 3 Goku / Gotenks.

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Good point. At the end of Dragon Ball Z Mystic Gohan was by far the strongest character. As someone put it, "Mystic Gohan is the strongest non-fused, non absorption using, non GT character."

The only other stronger characters in DBZ were either fused or had absorbed someone (Vegitto, Gotenks, Buu etc).

GT was .... *quivers in corner*

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Although this may technically be true, his character was still ruined, which I think was more of the point Minus was going for.

After building him up as the next great hero with untapped potential literally throughout the ENTIRE DBZ series, Gohan became more of a secondary/comic relief character in the Buu saga. Then they randomly threw a plot device (Old Kai) at him to "unlock his powers." Wasn't this already done with Guru? Yes. Wasn't this supposed to be what happened when Gohan lost control after Android 16's speech to him/death? Yes. But fuck it, they had to use that same plot point about "unlocking potential" because they needed a way to magically make Gohan important again.

And I realize that if you're looking for solid writing and character development, DBZ probably isn't the best place to look in the first place, but still. To screw it up that bad, simply making him "the strongest" off of a weak plot twist was really disappointing in hindsight.

Minus

This is true.

This however, isn't true. While Toriyama would've been happy ending the series after Freeza, it wasn't his initial plan. Sure, he wasn't a fan of the weekly serialization schedule given by Jump magazine. But he wasn't dead set on ending the series while writing during this time. So there were THOUGHTS of ending it after this arc, but it wasn't SUPPOSED to end as you're claiming.

Definitely not true. The end of the Cell arc in Jump magazine was followed by the Buu arc exactly 2 weeks later. Toriyama has never stated anything of the sort.

As an aside though, Toriyama HAS confirmed that 17, 18 and Cell weren't originally going to be in the Android saga at all. See here: http://www.kanzentai.com/intended_end.php?id=06

But not the main character, which was what I spoke of. Yes he was the strongest, but character-wise he was pretty lackluster.