New Dragonball Z animated movie to be released March 2013

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Brandon, Jul 11, 2012.

ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

Here was the problem: Putting Gohan as the main character after the Cell arc = better storytelling. But does not do so much for ratings and profit since DBZ was literally the "greatest action show of all time". The majority of people watching the show were kids who just liked seeing people beat the tar out of each other.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Fuck the anime. We're talking about the original medium here.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It would have been incredibly easy to make Gohan into the main character. The entire series they'd been building him up into being some freak of nature. So what happens is that Goku dies because Gohan isn't A)strong enough, and/or B)a disciplined fighter. Gohan sees himself as the reason his father died.

So instead of making the most logical progression of Gohan training 24/7 and becoming the new protector of Earth because he doesn't want to let anyone die because of his weaknesses anymore, they turn him into a cream puff. Instead of Gohan evolving into a badass that thrives on his past failures, he starts liking girls and playing baseball and loses all motivation.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

They did. To a short lived extent.

And he went on to become the strongest character in DBZ.

That would not be the most logical progression of Gohan's character. His passion is arguably two-fold; becoming a scholar, and training. He has no motive to seek out a killer instinct.

Additionally, Future Gohan's resulting skill, or lack of, is a clear sign as to how far his self-discipline would take him. 'Present-day' Gohan would have been the same character with the exception of being relatively stronger.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

Aww come on, it's not like Gohan was a player or anything, he barely even dated :lol: .. I don't see him liking a girl as an obstacle, Goku and Vegeta both had a family themselves, although I have to admit they weren't as "passionate" with their significant others lol :lol:. If anything, I could say his studies were what strayed him away from fighting, he studied his entire life (firstly by Milk's -Chichi, in english- pressure) and opted to continue doing so as he liked it, Goku and Vegeta never studied properly as they focused on being warriors.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    Snail

Milk.....?

I see what you did tharrr..

Andreina

What's the name of Goku's wife in english? In spanish she's called Milk and I assumed it was the same name :lol: .. Now I know it's Chichi.

Note: The names in english/japanese are pretty much the same in spanish with only slight variations on some of them (Piccolo > Piccoro for example), Chichi's name was changed for Milk because the former is actually a slang world in latinamerica (for breasts), so that's why I didn't know until now, and it's right, lol.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Yup, that's right. I know in some places Mr. Satan was changed to Hercule to avoid religious backslash.

Ironically, Chichi's father name (Gyoumaou) was changed to Ox Satan in the Latin American dub :lol:

EDIT: This wasn't directed towards Ed, it's obvious she watched the same version I did.

Minus

Chichi is slang for breasts in the US as well, although we got it from you guys.

I mean for crying out loud, look at Bulma's family. "Bulma" is "Buruma", or literally "bloomers." Her last name is Briefs. Her son's name is Trunks. Her daughter's name is Bulla or Bura, or literally "bra".

Then of course the full-blooded Saiyans have their little naming conventions. Kakarrot (Carrot), Raditz (Radish), Vegeta (Vegetable, later confirmed in the OVA where his younger brother, Tarble is introduced. Vegeta Tarble. Seriously?), Broly (Broccoli), Nappa (Napa Cabbage)...

Mr. Satan? Videl (rearranged letters of Devil)?

And don't get me started on the Androids. 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20? C'mon now.

Andreina

I was well aware of that but since all of the other characters names didn't collide with the language they were left the same. Milk was the only "issue" .. Bulma is one that comes close but even just by shifting two letters it was fixed..

And actually, Bulma's daughter IS called Bra in the latinamerican dub :lol: .. Yeah odd character names there xD

Minus

Oh, I wasn't trying to like, "teach" you or anything. I just went on a tangent.

Andreina

No it's fine I received your comment very well! Sorry if what I wrote came across as a bit abrasive, totally the opposite! I don't know as much of the series as you do, don't wanna sound like a know-it-all, I'm certainly not :lol:

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

I'm just waiting until they milk DBZ for the rest of what it's worth.

I mean it's fine they want to continue the franchise, but it's being milked to death like Star Wars.

Then again, Star Wars has plenty of games I like, while I only liked Budochi Techaichi 3.

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

Do you mean "Budokai Tenkaichi 3"? ^^
    Well 1 & 2 are pretty similar to 3.
    Loved them. But sold them and my PS2 :,/

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Well, I can't wait for this movie!

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

You seem to be remembering DBZ wrong. Gohan NEVER wanted to be a scholar. Chi-Chi wanted him to be, but Gohan was always flying off to train. He only did it because his mom screamed at him and threw a fit. studying was never his passion, even when he got to high school he would rather fly off and fuck around in a superhero costume.

On the flip-side, Gohan really liked training. Even when Goku would want to stop in the Time Chamber, Gohan would try with everything he had to keep going, in order to become as strong as his dad, so that he could protect the ones he loved.

I'm really not sure where you're getting that Gohan wanted to be a scholar as much as he wanted to train, but it's really just not true.

rundown228

rundown228 Banned

I don't speak Otaku! I speak Nazi and English! -.-

Snail

Keyword: Arguably. Moreover, take a look at episode 289 or a page out of chapter 323. Gohan's attire, demeanor, and actions implicates otherwise; his house is home to a collection of books. Furthermore, he sits out as a spectator for the tournament. No fuckin' around there.

To clarify as to what I'm trying to get at? Gohan trains his ass off and will go to lengths only when shit gets serious. He trains to aid his loved ones and the innocents, not exactly for the thrill of the fight. Hell, he tried to talk Cell out of fighting despite having full knowledge of the pain and terror the creature had subjected the populace to.

Ain't remembering DBZ wrong brotha.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's what I've been saying all along though, they CHANGED (ruined) the character after the Cell saga. Episode 289 is pretty much at the end of DBZ. Up until the end of the Cell saga, Gohan had absolutely no wish to stay at home and study, and they reminded us of that every chance they got via Chi-Chi's comic relief. They ruined his character by spending most of the series setting him up as a passionate-about-training-with-untapped-powers badass, and then quickly pulling a 180 and turning him into the Buu saga Gohan.

Exactly. Gohan is very kind, and one of the best plot points of DBZ was the moral dilemma Gohan had to face between killing in order to save lives when he was still very young.

Unfortunately, as I've been saying, they completely squandered one of the most interesting plots/characters in the series in the Buu saga. But before that, he was never portrayed as wanting anything to do with being a scholar.

Dekar

Dekar swimmingsmoke LPA VIP

?