Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    One by One Bam!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    44

    Chester's Rapping

    A couple of months ago I noticed something that has really started to bother me. While recording ATS Chester has been putting some rap vocals in with Mike's. (For example WFTE and WaK) I remember an interview where Mike said that the band members can't really have a title of instrument that they play because it could have been anyone. I think that is cool and a good thing for the band, but if you have a singer and a rapper, let the rapper rap, and the singer sing! In live shows now Chester is sometimes rapping with Mike or helping him out kinda. I personally can not stand Chester as a rapper. I think he is the best singer in the world but not a rapper. Does anyone know if there is a reason why Chester is rapping now? What do you think about him rapping?
    “When we started the band, it was because we were waiting for a sound that never happened. We got tired of waiting, and we decided to just do it ourselves.” -Mike Shinoda

  2. #2
    No control, no surprise.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,164
    He's not really rapping so much as he is providing layering for Mike's raps. Only on "Blackout" does he really 'rap'. I don't mind it.

  3. #3
    Steve Perry, you gotta get the fuck out of here Pidgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    9,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    He's not really rapping so much as he is providing layering for Mike's raps. Only on "Blackout" does he really 'rap'. I don't mind it.
    This, he never really raps except for layering live.

  4. #4
    Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. minuteforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    8,285
    Chester's been doing the accents behind Shinoda's rapping during LP's live shows since he joined. :" Shinoda would probably do it himself were there two of him ...


    What if I never even see you 'cause we're both on a stage?



  5. #5
    DROWN Filip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    7,206
    I love when he starts screaming while Mike raps, it's so awesome...

  6. #6
    No control, no surprise.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    8,164
    I suppose, he also rapped during their "Sabotage" cover, but that was really neat and he has the voice for it.

  7. #7
    @TheReeknd Ree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dubai, India
    Posts
    7,714
    I love Chester's rap style vocals in Blackout and Sabotage. I don't mind him layering Mike's vocals live but I remember watching a live video of WFTE and Chester's voice completely overshadowed Mike's voice during Mike's rap. That sounded a little "off" to me but most of the time I think it works great.

  8. #8
    Extremely H! Vltg3 Alexrednex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    570
    Everything that is said so far is true.

  9. #9
    DROWN Filip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexrednex View Post
    Everything that is said so far is true.
    Ghosts exist. Now it isn't.

  10. #10
    Did somebody order some cheese? ChuckCheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmarks View Post
    Ghosts exist. Now it isn't.
    One could argue that though.


    And yeah, I agree with what everyone has said haha. Sometimes it sounds pretty bad though, haha. Like him backing Mike on WFTE live.
    Charlotte, NC 8/08/07
    Charlotte, NC 7/31/08
    New York City, NY 2/04/11
    Bristow, VA 8/10/12
    West Palm Beach, FL 8/08/14
    Tampa, FL 8/09/14
    Charlotte, NC 8/12/14
    Bristow, VA 8/13/14
    Camden, NJ 8/15/14
    Mansfield, MA 8/16/14
    Holmdel, NJ 8/18/14
    Wantagh, NY 8/19/14
    Buffalo, NY 8/21/14

    Formerly known as Cookie Monster

  11. #11
    LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
    Posts
    39,441
    Chester raps on Blackout because that's his song, and he raps sabotage because Mike's voice is far too low to do Adrock's vocals.

    As for everything else, yeah...Chester's been doing vocal layering live since 2000. This aint new.
    The LPA is self funded. We support our hosting costs out of pocket and through ads, and although we do not expect our users to donate...any monetary contribution helps.
    To donate towards hosting costs and help support the site, please click on the Donate button below.



    Check Out AltWire - My Latest Project

  12. #12
    DROWN Filip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    7,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    One could argue that though.
    Nah, they don't exist.

    The layering is sometimes good, sometimes not. For example, when Mike raps on POA, Chester screams a couple of lyrics and it's freaking awesome. I agree that it isn't really good on WFTE.

  13. #13
    >.<
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,408
    I find this thread hypocritical. You say it's cool that the band members can do anything, then you say Mike should rap and Chester should sing. You don't want Chester to rap, but you don't mind if Mike sings. Weird. I used to state that I hated when Mike sung because Chester is 1000 times better at singing and people got mad. Hmm.

  14. #14
    when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory Melis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,512
    I like Chester 'rapping' in Blackout. But I don't like it in the live shows. In my view is the rapping Mikes part and the singing is Chesters part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ree
    I love you too, Melis
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    "Hey Melly, I'm nak... OH SHIT, SORRY, MRS. MELIS!"


  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    115
    oh this made me laugh, you really think that's rapping?

  16. #16
    when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory Melis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by RiseFromTheAshez View Post
    oh this made me laugh, you really think that's rapping?
    No, I don't. That is why I made ' 'rapping' '. I know what rapping is.

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Melis View Post
    No, I don't. That is why I made ' 'rapping' '. I know what rapping is.
    yea but I wasnt talking to you I guess I should've quoted the OP

  18. #18
    when you're feeling empty, keep me in your memory Melis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,512
    Oh sorry

  19. #19
    What's a 'Grey Daze'?
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    32
    I don't see it as rapping on "Blackout". More like classic punk scatting, but to each their own.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •