Next Album

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Top2Bottom, Jun 30, 2012.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ This. I'm pretty sure deadlines are always a bitch.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I also think that Depeche Mode sound would be awesome. Listen to Mike's remix of Enjoy The Silence, and you'll see how good they can sound in that style.. Anyway, more electro = better album.

I like that 80s idea, something like Depeche Mode, Gary Numan. I'd also like them to gain an industrial edge like NIN...

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

I don't remember hearing that stuff, what songs are you thinking of? Anyway, I'm not *too* crazy about the idea of going more electro (I'd rather keep it to the level they're already at). I do however have a list of things I'd like for them to try:

1. I'm craving a good, long instrumental. Tinfoil was nice, but I felt like it was just an interlude and I need an instrumental that is entirely its own song, one where they can really show their musical chops. And speaking of which...

2. I mentioned this after ATS was released: I'd love to see the instrumental members improve their craft and start trying some more complex instrumentation. Rob is already a pretty skilled (and more importantly creative) player (I don't know much about guitar chops, so I can't comment on Brad or Phoenix), and as such has plenty of room to improve as well. I'm not saying I want the band to become as virtuostic as Dream Theater, but the better they're able to play the more they can experiment with their sound.

3. Longer songs. I wanna see them dare to write a song longer than five minutes. Heck, even Green Day did it.

4. More acoustic songs, of the more folkish variety (I maintain that COG and RU weren't really, although they were thinking along the right lines imo). An EP of rearranged songs from their back catalogue would satisfy me, but I do want to see them do some more original acoustic guitar songs.

5. I'd love for them to give grunge/post-grunge a try, a la Pearl Jam or Foo Fighters.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I wouln't mind them going full on screamo haha, although that would never happen.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I really don't know where you got that.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Here's what I'd like to hear.

1. They should definitely stick with their style of MTM, ATS and LT. I'd like to hear a mix of those albums. LT was a good try, and it's a great album, but I feel like they could do much better.

2. I agree with SuperDude526, each band member should focus more on their instrumental parts. Example: Brendan's Death Song by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I'd definitely like to hear more guitars, but not in the Hybrid Theory or Meteora style, the MTM style was good.

3. Mike's raps on LT didn't live up to his standard.
    LITE: Mediocre rap,poor rhyming until the breakdown. The breakdown rap is awesome.
    BID: Mike's rap's used to be very quiet, example: Papercut, a great rap which scares you, and just blends with the background. Here, it's almost like he's yelling.
    LGM: This was a rap over a completely Skrillex style beat, and I like it, but Linkin Park isn't Eminem, and I loved how Mike's raps had metaphores, example APFMH.
    VICTIMIZED: Great rap, nothing to complain about here. His best one in years, IMO.
    UIB: I like the track, I like the rap, but it's just saying words on this one, nothing to really listen.

4. Mike singing=Always good. They should use that more often, like on Castle of Glass. Him and Chester singing together = epic.

5. The more electronics, the better. I love Skin To Bone, but I'd like this really high energy electro track, like Mike's remix of Enjoy The Silence or The Catalyst, which is one of my favourite tracks ever.

6. A couple of HT songs wont hurt. They just make it better.

7. Instrumentals. Session is the best instrumental ever. Tinfoil is not. Sometimes, I have a feeling I can do better than Tinfoil. I know it's an interlude to Powerless, but it annoys me when I think this is an LP instrumental.

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

Call me crazy, but LIVING THINGS seems to be a label-driven album, to me. You've got a lot of radio-friendly songs on that album, and they made a concerted effort to integrate stuff from their roots to please Hybrid Theory fans IMO.

Linkin Park has never given a fuck about what people think, but I wonder if Warner Brothers demanded that their new content would be more appealing to the masses after the poor success of A Thousand Suns (I love that album, but the popular opinion among consumers was that the album was wack).

Very hard to tell if WB got their nose in Linkin Park's business, or if Linkin Park made the decision on their own.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

That's an interesting observation and point, and I'd say a fair one. I don't think Geki's viewpoint is wrong either though. It is the worst we've ever really gotten to see. "The Making of Meteora" was nothing but absolute fun, it appeared. "Minutes to Midnight" was more like, "Here's how we developed our new way of writing," and then "Meeting of A Thousand Suns" was probably very much directed like you said - with the intention to show the frustration as time went on to try and meet deadlines and be happy with what they were making.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Quite simply I want them to tackle a more progressive sound made from a fusion of electronic and instrumental with all of the energetic vibes of Living Things.

In other words, songs like The Catalyst, but with the power of something like Lost In The Echo.

Geki

Geki >.

Mike said MTM was the funnest they have ever done; he never said that about ATS.

Also, to Superdude526, LP has written a song longer than 5 minutes long. Have you heard The Little Things Give You Away? It's 6 and a half minutes long, and it's fucking epic. I hate how all these LP fansites shit on MTM all the time. It deserves way more respect.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    Blake

I agree i deserves more respect. MtM is most underrated LP album among fan sites. It's such a good album and deserves some love.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Bypassing the terseness, I am well aware of my least favorite song of all time. And I think it hardly counts as a long song anyway; now this is a long (and good) song:

[video=youtube;fxiLuoWgi34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxiLuoWgi34[/video]

Louis

Thank you for the irrelevant video.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

That would be horrible and nothing would ever make me like an album with just screamo.

Also I want them to do longer songs more like A Thousand Suns. Average length of 4:30 minutes and some 5 minute+ songs. More experimentation is always welcome :D They need to become more complex and less repetitive.

Louis

I agree with this. I think Linkin Park thrives in these situations of discomfort, and I really liked where they were going with the experimentation on A Thousand Suns.

LeoMPhillyFan

LeoMPhillyFan Well-Known Member

Really love this idea, if they did this; their next album might even beat HT for me.

JasonMarks quote:
    3. Mike's raps on LT didn't live up to his standard.
    LITE: Mediocre rap,poor rhyming until the breakdown. The breakdown rap is awesome.
    BID: Mike's rap's used to be very quiet, example: Papercut, a great rap which scares you, and just blends with the background. Here, it's almost like he's yelling.
    LGM: This was a rap over a completely Skrillex style beat, and I like it, but Linkin Park isn't Eminem, and I loved how Mike's raps had metaphores, example APFMH.
    VICTIMIZED: Great rap, nothing to complain about here. His best one in years, IMO.
    UIB: I like the track, I like the rap, but it's just saying words on this one, nothing to really listen.

I agree with almost everything here. Mike's peak was on Hybrid Theory EP and Hybrid Theory. He's really been lacking since then, even on Meteora where his raps felt forced despite having the same aggression as HT. The only raps since that are on par with HT are Bleed It Out, When They Come For Me (Lyrically, his best), Waiting For The End, Lost In The Echo (especially the breakdown), and Victimized.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I think that the reason ATS had only 9 full songs, was that they had to meet the deadlines, so that they left a bunch of unfinished demos... Ruck Rubin was talking about this on MOATS.

I believe that we won't get the next album as soon as we got LT (21 months after ATS)...

Blake

I still fell Mike was the best he's ever been on LT> His singing is miles above what it used to be and his rapping was amazing,

and I for one hope we get the next album just as quick as the last one but I doubt it.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

I Disagree that Mike's rapping was weak on LT. After FM and since MTM his rapping (specifically his lyrics) has improved drastically.

Compare Hit The Floor/Figure 09's lyrics to either Hands held High or When they come for me. Then compare those to Until it Breaks & Victimized. His creativity & imagination is still there, instead of resorting back to the angsty "i hate me/you" lyrics on Meteora.

If anything hes gone back to the style of the Xero demos. Until it breaks is strong example of this with his use of metaphors. If anything it sounds like "I have not Begun" from LPUX

Maybe not every single rap on LT is perfection, but at least he's still got the swagger and passion.