Wasn't Living Things supposed to be more political?

Living Things is probably one of my favorite albums to date. But I'm confused about something. Didn't Linkin Park say their music would be a lot more political and controversial, unlike their older music which is more personal? I expected the meanings of the songs to be similar to A Thousand Suns but LT sounded more personal like Minutes to Midnight

I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter. Xero21's Avatar
    Chester at one point said the album was going to be polarizing. That was in the middle of 2011 though, and at that point they were probably still buzzing off of A Thousand Suns. They obviously didn't end up continuing in that direction, at least for this album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    - Xero the twenty-first
    3/29/12 - Was the groom in the first ever LPA marriage!

Formerly known as Xero21 Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by IISUPERXEROI View Post
    Mike is having the midlife crisis

Steve Perry, you gotta get the fuck out of here Pidgeon's Avatar
    lol take everything the band says before the release with a grain of salt. They do this quite often.

I don't recall that at all.

I don't recall that either. I just remember them saying this album will be more personal compared to ATS, hence the name "LIVING THINGS". Do you have a link for the interview you're talking about? The band members say all sorts of cryptic things in the lead up to an album release.

I remember them saying it was going to be more personal, less political.

I remember a comment about POLARIZING music. The band does this all of the time. Albums evolve as they are writing and that is why they don't like to disclose much information until the album is pretty much done. If they start describing it early then it tends to be wrong.
    In the land of TH3 bliind, the one eyed troll is Queen ♏ ⊙◡⊛
    The LPA has a wiki

One must lead in the dance, who's leading you? Robert's Avatar
    So, you're people are saying the album isn't polarizing?

Considering people's reactions to the record, that's weird.

I remember a comment Chester made about the album including lyrics commenting on religion without being preachy hahahaha but that was in 2011 so they obviously chose to go in another direction.

po·lar·i·za·tion   [poh-ler-uh-zey-shuhn] Show IPA
    noun
    a sharp division, as of a population or group, into opposing factions.
    Optics . a state, or the production of a state, in which rays of light or similar radiation exhibit different properties in different directions. Compare circular polarization, elliptical polarization, plane polarization.
    Electricity .
    a.
    the deposit of gases, produced during electrolysis, on the electrodes of a cell, increasing the resistance of the cell.
    b.
    a vector quantity indicating the electric dipole moment per unit of volume of a dielectric.
    c.
    the induction of polarity in a ferromagnetic substance.
    the production or acquisition of polarity.

I'd say it fits definition 1 of polarizing. and polarizing does not = political necessarily
    2013 Concerts:
    February 8th- VoxNora, Atlas Genius, and Imagine Dragons. (Marquee Theatre, Tempe, AZ)
    April 18th- The Postal Service. (Comerica Theatre, Phoenix, AZ)
    June 6th- Hillsong United. (ShoWare Center, Kent, WA)
    September 7th- Chivalry is Dead, Always Right, Monhagans Dixon, Straight Til Morning, Visions of the Martyr, To Each His Own, and Romance Mechanics. (Pub Rock, Scottsdale, AZ)
    December 3rd- Get Dead, Masked Intruder, Anti-Flag, and Less Than Jake. (The Nile, Mesa, AZ)

2014 Concerts:
    February 17th- Imagine Dragons, The Naked and Famous, and Nico Vega. (US Airways Center, Phoenix, AZ)
    August 31st- Ed Sheeran (Jobbing.com Arena, Glendale, AZ)
    September 5th- Blake Shelton, The Band Perry, Dan+Shay, and Neal McCoy (Ak-Chin Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ)
    September 10th- Linkin Park, 30 Seconds to Mars, and AFI (US Airways Center, Phoenix, AZ)
    October 13th- Empire! Empire!, Free Throw, Cave Sounds and Glencove. (The Underground, Mesa, AZ)
    November 26th- Modern Baseball, Knuckle Puck, Crying, Somos, Sundressed (Club Red, Mesa, AZ)
    Formerly known as Bliss / Dementia

Proud Venezuelan LP fan. With adorable feet. Andreina's Avatar
    Wait, what? They've said kazillion times that this album would be more personal and the lyrics more about "you and me" ..

I don't know where you got that from

They did recently, but there WAS an interview with Chester WAAAAAAAAAY back. He didn't say political, but he said they were going to be attacking more "social" issues, if I remembered correctly.

I got that information from the NME interview I saw a while back. But I just read over the interview and I guess my mind twisted some of the words around. Weird.

It's a shame though, in my opinion. I would've loved to see more political/controversial stuff like A Thousand Suns. I dunno, the personal stuff is kinda played out already, it's getting a bit tiring. But that's just me. I still love the album though

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous Nightmare View Post
    It's a shame though, in my opinion. I would've loved to see more political/controversial stuff like A Thousand Suns. I dunno, the personal stuff is kinda played out already, it's getting a bit tiring. But that's just me. I still love the album though
    I completely agree. Although LP switched it up enough on tracks like Castle Of Glass, Victimized, and Roads Untraveled for me. COG is so poetic and Roads Untraveled is very heartfelt. If LP could write more "personal" lyrics like that I'd be for them.

Also I still think it'd be interesting to hear an LP song about social issues such as religion. Would be cool for LP to be polarizing lyrically instead of just musically.

LIVING THINGS actually lived up to the band's claims for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Snail View Post
    LIVING THINGS actually lived up to the band's claims for once.
    TBH, thus

Thread Information