Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Didn't read that wall of nonsense, but isn't taking a huge departure from the sound that got you more than 20 million album sales the exact opposite of selling out? The band had perfected the formula on radio-friendly nu-metal. They could have continued cashing in on that check for the better part of the decade.

Evolving as a band and pushing creative boundaries has come at the expense of airplay (slightly) and fans (majorly). Seems to me like the band just wants to continue challenging themselves creatively instead of worrying about album sales or popularity.

People are stupid.

It's Like I'm Paranoid... Adam.'s Avatar
    1) Are you seriously enlisting this forum to help you sound smarter in an argument with this guy? I'm just curious how much of our responses you're reposting.

2) Any band worth their salt in the public world has sold out dozens of times. The Beatles were the very definition of sell outs and that unleashed their creative genius on the world. Linkin Park absolutely avoided going down with the Nu Metal ship, if they'd stayed with it they'd be in the same place as Korn and Limp Bizkit—where are their tracks on the billboard ratings now? Any objective listener of Linkin Park's music today will admit it is of a wholly different quality than their earlier work and anyone who's giving them shit for not being nu-metal is experiencing some sort of early mid-life crisis.

I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter. Xero21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    People have no idea what the fuck "selling out" is. Just like the word "epic", that word has been bandied about with such flagrant disregard to its actual definition that it's completely meaningless. See, this is exactly why I look down on nu-metal fans. They like crappy music and don't use their tiny brains to accurately pinpoint why they don't like anything else. So they do anything to feed into their little persecution complexes. "Well, electronic music's popular now, that must mean the band's a bunch of sell-outs for putting synths in their songs!" For Christ's sakes, they recorded a trip-hop song before they were even famous. Just because it doesn't use guitar distortion to fulfill your arbitrary definition of "heavy" doesn't mean it's not good music.

This is honestly why most I've completely shut out most bands heavier than Deftones. Aside from the fact that metal is now boring to me, the fans are the fucking worst. They only seem to be concerned with flying the metal flag and being condescending towards anyone with tastes more broad than Pantera or Burzum or some other nonsense like that.
    I love all your posts.

As for the guy on the other forum, Hybrid Theory sold 10 million units in the U.S. alone. Linkin Park has been a mainstream band since day one. Mike Shinoda loves electronic music, you'd know that if you bothered keeping up with his personal blog. He makes music like that because he enjoys it, regardless of current mainstream appeal. Is the timing maybe not the best? Sure, I'll give you that. But don't mistake his intentions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
    - Xero the twenty-first
    3/29/12 - Was the groom in the first ever LPA marriage!

Formerly known as Xero21 Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by IISUPERXEROI View Post
    Mike is having the midlife crisis

I had all their underground stuff, even when they were Xero when their old manager (Mark) was the vocalist before they discovered Chester. Super Xero and all those old songs
    Implying liking their Xero material is something to be proud of.

I'm Not Obsessed!!!
    Almost TEN years later and idiots like this still can't get over the fact LP changed their sound? This makes me question the future success of the human race. I'm willing to bet the squirrel I saw in my backyard earlier today is smarter than at least half of the human population that currently inhabits Earth.
    Last edited by lilj4425; 06-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.

My perversion power is accumulating Pugnacious Baby Timmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Didn't read that wall of nonsense, but isn't taking a huge departure from the sound that got you more than 20 million album sales the exact opposite of selling out? The band had perfected the formula on radio-friendly nu-metal. They could have continued cashing in on that check for the better part of the decade.

Evolving as a band and pushing creative boundaries has come at the expense of airplay (slightly) and fans (majorly). Seems to me like the band just wants to continue challenging themselves creatively instead of worrying about album sales or popularity.

People are stupid.
    This. So hard.

And their change in sound wasn't that drastic. The band has had some growing pains, but their evolution has been smooth for the most part. Some of you guys act like they went from playing death metal to polka.

Master of Ceremonies Cookie Monster's Avatar
    Lol at "techno", and saying that the music they make now is like what's popular now. Only time I have heard an LP song along with pop artists was when WFTE was a single. And that song isn't exactly pop. Sounds like an angry 14 year old.

What's a 'Grey Daze'?
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.posey View Post
    1) Are you seriously enlisting this forum to help you sound smarter in an argument with this guy? I'm just curious how much of our responses you're reposting.
    No, just wanted to show you guys this guys post. I could really care less.
    The Hunting Party > A Thousand Suns > LIVING THINGS > Hybrid Theory > Minutes to Midnight > Meteora

I don't know what to say, everything has been said, so, just:

Never Forget. Never Surrender. KillerUndies's Avatar
    Staying with their original sound would be selling out.
    And as we walk out through the cords, into the webs
    Our blood thrashing to a different cask
    We will see a square to hold us all, that carries out all eagerness
    In light and in pastures, in sound and space
    In perspiration and in ache, in coil and blaze
    In respect and in futility, in peace and quality
    Everyone will claim their place, together.
    Eternally.

I will personally poop on any person's face if they say that Linkin Park has sold out. Linkin Park has done the exact opposite.

Not A Born Leader, I'm A Tough Act To Follow...

DISCLAIMER: Most of my posts are meant to be sarcastic.

Never Forget. Never Surrender. KillerUndies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LPChris View Post
    I will personally poop on any person's face if they say that Linkin Park has sold out. Linkin Park has done the exact opposite.
    Way off topic here, but if that's you in your sig I'd let you poop on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
    Yarp. You can add "amazing" to that list, too.
    Add "I love you" and "Fuck you" to that list then, as well.

This goes out to everybody still hatin' Bennington_Hahn's Avatar
    is this guy the ultimate troll or what? If it wasn't bad enough him calling QWERTY "Behind your lies", he had to go on to say that burn it down - the most mainstream song off LT - is the only redeeming feature on the albums. Jeeze, when will these people just disaper? Either like it or GTFO

It's Like I'm Paranoid... arbiter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shwcobb View Post
    I agree with most of what he said, except LP being a sell-out. They're loosing fans much faster than gaining them, and they're aware of it. That is by no definition a sell-out. I understand why MTM had to happen, and I see why they did ATS (which is perfection), but I simply do not like LT. It's fine. That's it.

I don't want my favorite band to be doing fine, when I know they're able to blow people's heads off with their melodies and sound. LT is a let-down in that way and they really should take it easy, because constantly changing the vibe will eventually steer away even the hardest of fans. Simple math. But no, they haven't sold out.
    There is nothing mathematical about that statement. And there is no such thing as the "hardest of fans". And changing their style here and there and mixing things up will cause them to loose some fans but they also attract new fans with each new release because an album may not work for one person, but it will be another person's favourite album.

Quote Originally Posted by Vdalem View Post
    No they didn't sell out! I always believe that they may change their music style and do lose some fans but those "fans" always get replaced by new fans!
    This is more of actual reality than anything written by that sad person.

Quote Originally Posted by shwcobb View Post
    I listen to NIN and they're not to be compared with LP's 'evolution'.

If you love whatever they do (not to be mistaken with 'if you love all their albums thus far), you're idolizing. And don't take me the wrong way, like I said, they're #1 in my book. But I just listened to HT, Meteora, ATS and Underground8 in a row and that just owns LT and its vibe. For me at least. But we're off topic.
    Condescending much? I could say the same thing about you in terms of their first two albums and that genre with a dose of nostalgia. It is very possible to like every single album Linkin Park makes without it having to do with idolizing. It's not the end of the world if Living Things doesn't hit that spot for you. It doesn't make you better than the person who every album does hit the spot for them.

Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. minuteforce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
    Guy loves HT & Meteora, claims LP went mainstream with Living Things, except Burn It Down, the most obviously-aimed-at-radio song on the album, is good.
    In the context of everything they've said, the fact this person considers "Burn It Down" to be the new album's "saving grace" is, like,

Hold onto what is there ... and count the saints

The One They Call Elaine. Elaine's Avatar
    I smell a troll.

Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. minuteforce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
    I smell a troll.
    Go and take a shower, then.

If you want to talk about "selling out," which, in my mind, is compromising the music for moneys sake, then Meteora is the only album LP "sold out" on.

Waiting for the OTHER end to come The Joesen One's Avatar
    Sellout = Hybrid Theory Part III.
    ALL YOU NEED IS KILL

FORMERLY KNOWN AS PHILSFAN

Thread Information