Harmonies on Living Things

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Ben, Jun 22, 2012.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Like most bands do, and as Linkin Park used to do in the early days, the main singer would harmonize with themselves on the studio versions of the songs. However, since Mike has developed significantly as a singer, both Chester and Mike harmonize together very frequently. But I'm wondering...how frequently? There are some spots on the album I can't tell if it's Mike/Mike and Chester/Chester or if it's a split with one doing lead and the other harmonizing. Couple instances:

-After the first chorus on Castle of Glass, Mike is obviously taking lead, but who's harmonizing? Is it Chester?

-"It's the worst kind of pain I've known" lyric from Roads Untraveled. It doesn't sound like Chester harmonizing, but it very well could be.

-Third verse in Roads Untraveled with Chester singing the lead "May your love never end". Is Mike harmonizing there?

As for Skin To Bone, I'm pretty positive the other guy is always doing the harmonies for whoever is doing lead.

Anyways, just wanted a little clarification. Harmonies have gotten to be some of the best parts of Linkin Park's songs. I always like to know whose voices they are in the background.

Nick Hart

Nick Hart Well-Known Member

On Roads Untravelled im pretty sure Chester harmonizes Mike and Mike harmonizes Chester

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

I absolutely love how the Mike harmonizes with Chester and vice versa nowadays. I loved when they did it live back in the day (Runaway on LIT comes to mind).

Plus, I think Mike's singing voice is great so I am biased.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

- It's Chester.
    - It's Chester.
    - It's Mike.
    - Yes.

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Thanks man. I've seen how musically inclined you are so I'm going to say it's safe to take your word on that.

Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

On IN MY REMAINS Chester harmonizes with himself and Mike in the second verse

kazekyou

kazekyou 持ち上げて、解放して

I've always thought that the rest of the members provided the harmonies when Chester and Mike are already singing. I forget where, but I remember seeing Joe and Brad listed as backing vocals in some M2M, ATS and LT tracks.

Surely all of them can contribute vocally though? Perhaps they might not have the distinct vocal sounds of Chester, Mike (and Brad!), but as musicians I'm sure they all can sing in tune...

Geki

Geki >.

Well the band did do gang vocals on Iridescent, The Catalyst, Hands Held High and I think possibly Bleed It Out. I know for a fact they did for Iridescent and The Catalyst because there is video footage, and Mike also said at the LP in theaters thing back in 2007 that the whole band sang the chorus for Hands Held High. I think he also said that about Bleed It Out too, but I could be wrong.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

The only time the rest of the band is doing vocals is when it's incredibly obvious like Iridescent, Hands Held High, or Brad on Until It Breaks. Otherwise, it's just Mike or Chester, sometimes with multiple layers of their voices.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I love how they harmonize in Skin To Bone.