What Is "Castle Of Glass" Trying To Say ?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by mlg556, Jun 19, 2012.

mlg556

mlg556 Member

Castle Of Glass is my favorite song in the album so far,and I memorized the lyrics.But,the problem is,I couldnt actually understand them :D And I was wondering you guys' thoughts about the lyrics and what they're trying to say :D

SkullDevil217

SkullDevil217 Dork Of Ages

I think it represents a person who has done so much wrong in his/her life, and wants a chance at redemption. That's the way I see it, anyway.

_Depression

_Depression Well-Known Member

I agree there's a redemption story in there somewhere, but I think it's more a song of someone who has done so much wrong realizing that they've been so terrible and - at least from what I see - are wishing and praying for something to change.

To be honest, "I'm only a crack in this castle of glass" is a little unclear of a line for me because it can have a couple meanings. On the one hand, a single crack on a huge castle is barely noticeable, but on the other hand, a crack in a piece of glass is a huge threat to it's integrity. So either the speaker in the song is realizing that he's not as pure as the rest of the "glass", or he realizes that his evils have actually threatened the integrity of the rest of the "glass" (I interpret the glass to be humanity or society in these cases).

ragsta

ragsta Well-Known Member

In multiple interviews Mike and Chester have said that this song had different meanings to each of them.
    So I guess you have to interpetate it yourself what you think the meaning of the song is.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

This is my favourite track too, and I love it because it's a great song with a great melody, and for the deep lyrics.
    In this case ''crack in this castle of glass'' tells we're all just one person in seven billion, which is why we're forgettable, and we mean nothing to like 6,99 billion people: ''hardly anything else for you to see''. I think it describes how most people feel at least once, and some always feel like that. I love it ^_^

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

:ditto: I actually agree with everything you have said. That's exactly what I thought. The ling "I'm only a crack on this castle of glass" makes me think of the person is not pure and realizes this and their is a possibility this person has effected the rest of the "glass"

Dragondust

Dragondust Lingering distortion LPA VIP

I believe it's about a soldier's point of view how they are just a small piece of the big picture

mastae

mastae Some Honky

The key to understanding this song is in the changed line when Chester sings alone.

"Hardly anything else I need to be"

It's actually a very uplifting song.

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

Just some quick thoughts, thinking while typing. This some is definitely about redemption. This person starts out asking to have all the bad washed from him, as the "fighting end" comes. He then wants to be shown how to be whole again, like maybe he's only been a damaging crack of his former self, that being a fragile castle of glass.

Chester bridge line "Hardly anything else I need to be" kind of throws me, based on my interpretation of the rest of the song though. At that point though, it seems he's happy with who he is. Like maybe, he is accepting that he is who he is, because of his past doings and what not, and he only needs to be who he has become. Because ultimately, he's happy with what he has become, despite some things in the past he'd rather forget.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

It's about dealing and accepting one's mortality, finiteness, and ultimately unimportance in the grand scheme of the universe.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

I like this interpretation. A lot.

The way I interpret it is how little mistakes in things like relationships can suddenly escalate to chaotic break-ups. Like a snowball effect. While someone may only be "a crack in this castle of glass" it's still a crack, and it's going to develop further and further until the castle breaks. These pointless little mishaps are taken to extremes that are completely unnecessary. It may even be a tiny flaw in an otherwise wonderful human being, but the person is considered not worthy of another.

...my brain is flooding with ideas right now, but I'm not really getting them written down so well :p this may be edited into something more cohesive later on.

ronin232

ronin232 New Member

I believe it is a song about someone who feels that is out of place in the moment and in the pleace he is at, bring me back, thinking as a war veteran. Missing the action.

Take me down to the river bend means "take me to the edge"
    Take me down to the fighting end means "where ever it is"
    Wash the poison from off my skin
    Show me how to be whole again means "to the place i feel usefull"

Cause I'm only a crack in this castle of glass "i dont belong here"
    Bring me home in a blinding dream,
    Through the secrets that I have seen "i see to much to be normal again"

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

^ This. On the flipside, it can also be about feeling part of a greater whole.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

It's about being an "insignificant significance." What I mean by that is that you can take the meaning of the song as something that may not be that important to a bigger picture, but on a smaller, more intimate scale, you might be everything. For example, someone dying is devastating to their family or co-workers, but in the bigger picture, the fragile glass castle of life still stands. Also, it can be interpreted as someone who is overlooked as being just one person, but that one person, that one little oversight, might be enough to set a motion for change that could rearrange everything. I interpret the song in many different ways and that is absolutely amazing to me. These were the two off the top of my head.

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

The song is clearly about donuts and aliens :trollface:

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

My eyes have been opened!

TVTV

TVTV Active Member

I think the song tells a story of personal suffering through the negligence of politics and social issues. It's not in an arrogant way but in a sorrowful way. Someone is asking for the powers above to at least recognize their suffering before it starts to ruin other people. The crack symbolizing this one person and the castle of glass symbolizing everyone else suffering the same. The song is also interesting because I see a spiritual message (it doesn't matter what belief) combined with the social message. Asking a savior if they can see their pain when others can't.

wakadoodle

wakadoodle Banned

I think that every song on LIVING THINGS is about love :lol:

LPChris

LPChris LP Fan Since 8/2001

...and sex.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Mostly death...