I'll Be Gone

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by ragsta, Jun 16, 2012.

Cure4thItch

Cure4thItch BEST IN THE WORLD

Same. Good call.

Calvin

Calvin The rhythm projects 'round the next sound... LPA VIP

Rick Rubin technically. :)

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

Now that I no longer listen to the album on constant repeat, objectively speaking this song is an utter dissapointment. Not only has it been badly mixed, rendering the strings fucking useless, but it's not pushing a single aspect of their music forward, other than some lyrics. The bridge is awful: "Tell me I am the only one and there's nothing left to stop me" doesn't even make sense. The percussion bit during the second verse is quite good, though. It follows the extremely overused VCVCBC. As I said before, the only thing redeeming this song and giving it any sort of quality over the shit any other generic rock band can write are the lyrics and only those in the verses.
    In all brutal, honest opinion, I'd rather listen to Burn It Down over I'll Be Gone any day.

StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

Yes! THIS! I agree with everything here...also that fucking chorus is awful!

dafne513

dafne513 New Member

in my opinion "i'll be gone" is about the last night of a man suffering from a terminal cancer, he 's gonna die .

"Like shining oil, this night is dripping down* Stars are slipping down, glistening" I imagine him lying on the sand enjoying last moments of his life, watching the stars and reflecting.

"And I'm trying not to think what I'm leaving now" : He's thinking about what he's going to live on earth, maybe his wife, his kids, his friends , even his job.

"No deceiving now, it's time you let me know.* Let me know" : he's going to face the truth, he doesn't want to deny his fate anymore, he wants to accept that he's going to die , he wants people to tell him that he's dying

[Chorus]
    " When the lights go out and we open our eyes,*
    out there in the silence, I'll be gone, I'll be gone.*
    Let the sun fade out and another one rise
    Climbing through tomorrow, I'll be gone, I'll be gone.*" : the next day, when the sun will rise, and all his friends and relatives will wake up, he won't, cause he'll be gone, he'll be dead.
    I find the use of the verb "climbing" very striking, as if we had to focus on how hard is to fight against a cancer, how strenuous and miserable is to try to stay alive the next day, I imagine 'tomorrow' is the top of a mountain, and a man fighting cancer has to climb this mountain every day, trying to get to the top of it, struggling with pain and ache.

"This in between us is getting thinner now
    into winter now, bitter sweet
    across that horizon this sun is setting down
    You're forgetting now, its time you let me go, let me go": as we know, people suffering from a cancer, become weak, thin, in winter is even harder for them, because of the cold.
    he's talking to someone, in my opinion to his wife, and he 's telling her that it's time for her to let him go, we know , friends and relatives often fight more than the sufferer, because they don't want them to die at all. and often the sufferer is sick of fighting, they just would die and stop suffering and bearing all that pain, and ask people who love him to let him go finally.

" And tell them I couldn't help myself
    And tell them I was alone
    Oh, tell me I am the only one*
    and there's nothing left to stop me."
    he's telling his wife (or whoever he's talking to) to tell his friends that there was anything he could do to heal himself, he was alone with the cancer, nothing could change his fate, nothing could stop death.
    It's like he's trying to justify himself for stopping fighting, he wants people to understand that it's not his decision, it's just how life goes . The end has come for him and he can't do anything anymore, so he doesn't want them to be angry with him.

This is how I interpreted this song, what do you think about it?

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Definitely the worst song in the album.

LPFreak64

LPFreak64 BACON!!!

Hm. I would say "Skin To Bone". I can't get over the amateur lyrics.

I really enjoy "I'll Be Gone" except for the bridge. Everything else on it is perfect.

Geki

Geki >.

I have no idea why everyone says this song sounds like DBS. I have asked 5 different people and no one thinks it sounds like DBS. Maybe it's because Mike was not featured in the song, just like when people said The Messenger sounded like DBS. It doesn't sound like DBS, it sounds like LP, maybe even a little MTMish. And whats with all the DBS hate? DBS is amazing.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

DBS is alright, but sounds like cookie cutter rock. Nothing special.

And I don't remember anyone saying The Messenger sounded like DBS lol The Messenger is 1000x better than any DBS song.

Also yeh IMR and IBG sound like DBS because again, there's not much to those tracks. They just sound like cookie cutter radio rock songs. Not even an enjoyable, signature riff or something. Nothing.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Fixed ;)

mastae

mastae Some Honky

It's cute how you like to slap your opinion on every single forum post when someone disagrees with you, usually ending your arguments in "well, it's my opinion, man." I really wouldn't mind that much if you offered some substantial arguments, but you will literally make posts like, "Well I like this song and I disagree," everywhere, and you'll probably reply to this post with something about how it's your god given right to make whatever kind of posts you want, and you're right, but they do get annoying when they do little to further discussion.

On the comment of Messenger vs. DBS, I will say I do like DBS, and I do like a few of their songs, however, none of them get close to the naked vulnerability of Chester's vocals in Messenger. I compare this to Dave Gahan's vocals in Depeche Mode's "Condemnation." The reason why that song is so good is because the vocals are so imperfect BECAUSE the lead singer isn't holding anything back. The voice cracks because it is strained which adds to the emotional aspect of the track. While Messenger is not complex, it's lyrics sure as hell beat shit "I don't want to be like them, I want to crawl back in."

The only DBS track I think I really like is In The Darkness. A couple have some interesting things going on that never get actualized while the vast majority are just really boring because they sound like everything circling the rock radio stations for the past two decades.

Blake

I was just having fun. You were't spouse to take a post like that seriously. I do that all the time on another forum and it's just a fun thing.

I didn't mean to make you mad, It was just a fun little comment. Don't take something like that seriously from now on, okay.

But on another note, I do see where you are coming from. I just found the messenger a weak ending to ATS. I used to like it a lot more than I do now, and it is not a bad song but I feel like its out of place on the album and doesn't belong. It's very personal and the way he sings is different and emotional but it just doesn't really fit in my opinion

HybridBharath

HybridBharath Well-Known Member

I actually consider the catalyst to be the final track and the messenger as an epilogue.

Blake

that's actually a very interesting theory and a unique way to view it.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I think the album should and with one last big bang, which makes you want to listen to the album all over again. Hybrid Theory and Meteora had those (Pushing Me Away, and Numb) and I liked The Little Things give you away on Minutes to Midnight. I think that The Messenger should be an introduction to The Catalyst, which would end the album perfectly and make you like the album more.

BACK TO THE TOPIC: I'll Be Gone is a good song, but I wouldn't like it to be the second single.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Yes, thought police.

And I feel like all of ATS "doesn't really fit." You could honestly argue any song as "out of place" and you'd have a viable argument since the style of the album is everywhere.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

This is one of my favorite one the album.

I do not like In My Remains much, though.

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

That is the biggest load of bullshit I;ve heard all day

Blake

:lol: I don't agree with him at all. I was just saying that is interesting, as it is because I never heard anything quite like that before.

NateXY

NateXY I was by your side, powerless.

Anyone agree with me when I say it kinda starts abruptly? :/