Living Things vs Hybrid Theory

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by HybridBharath, Jun 16, 2012.

?

Which Album do you enjoy more?

1. Living Things

73.6%
  2. Hybrid Theory

26.4%
    HybridBharath

HybridBharath Well-Known Member

Which album do you enjoy more?

Gravity_LP

Gravity_LP Well-Known Member

finally someone make this poll :D Living Things for me

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

lol is this seriously a question? LIVING THINGS hands down! All I can say about Hybrid Theory is that it was their first piece of work making it an original (for their Nu-Metal music) and asides from that, LIVING THINGS is constructed of the best elements of all four albums

Avo

Avo Don't Stop Running

Living Things is far superior.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Living Things by a good chunk

Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

I will be the only one on this, but Hybrid Theory.

I don't know if it's because of nostalgia or whatever, but I still find HT better. HT is more close to my kind of music. That and the fact it is my favorite album ever. I doubt LP will ever beat that record for me.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    bfoley4685

bfoley4685 Member

Hybrid Theory in my opinion is one of the greatest albums of all time! Every song is great. You don't have to hit skip once. The thing with Hybrid Theory is they created a sound. The rapping,record skipping,beat boxing,singing,screaming,guitars,keyboards exct...it had such a energy and edge to it without being too metal or heavy. It's never been duplicated by another band. I love the evolution of the band but I miss that sound they invented. I guarantee most of the people who say Living Things is better are under the age of 27

Clever Name

Clever Name Well-Known Member

Living Things for me. Yes, Hybrid Theory is closer to my music tastes and I love that album so much, but there's something I like about Living Things that make it such a special record.

For me it goes like this; Living Things > Hybrid Theory > Meteora > Minutes To Midnight > ATS.

emptyspaces0

emptyspaces0 Hunter Eats Hunter

Hybrid Theory is an amazing album but I'm going to say Living Things. Living Things is the most diverse album that they have ever released.

LeoMPhillyFan

LeoMPhillyFan Well-Known Member

Where's the Hybrid Theory love? :( It's easily my favorite album of all time, by any artist, and I think it's the perfect mix of rap and rock with a tinge of pop and electronica. Although, I do love Living Things and it actually exceeded my expectations; especially after LGM and BID brought my excitement down. I need a few more listens to see if it beats Meteora for 2nd place on my LP list.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

That makes no sense at all whatsoever. Especially considering how many Hybrid Theory/nu-metal diehards exist in the fanbase.

The reason why I, in my mind, find Living Things superior is because it's more of a melding of genres than any album before it. I consider myself widely versed in music. My favorite artist is a folk artist. I grew up on Jane's Addiction, the Beatles, Death Row Record artists, and Classical. I don't have any preconceived notions of what music SHOULD be, but you have to admit that Linkin Park didn't really break new ground with Hybrid Theory. Was it the best of the bunch in the nu-metal era? Probably. But the melding of rock and rap can be seen in Limp Bizkit, Rage Against The Machine, Run DMC and Aerosmith collaborating, even back to the origins of hip-hop itself. The instrumentals themselve came from rock albums. Why do you think they're called breaks? Because they were originally instrumental breaks.

What LP did was merely internalize the lyrics. Introspective lyrics themselves were new to the nu-metal genre (unless you consider KoRn in some songs). But it wasn't really groundbreaking. LP just came out at the exact peak of the era and benefitted the most.

Living Things, however, shows a better mix of "this has never been done before." As has been stated in interviews, there are elements of death metal, folk music, some heavy electronics, rock, hip-hop, even some lounge here and there. And on top of that, the songs THEMSELVES are good.

Take a look at the songs on Hybrid Theory. They were really polished, great material, but in terms of actual songwriting, weren't all that great. The melodies were kinda meh. They could make a song SOUND good, but it didn't make the song ITSELF good. Their songwriting skills have GREATLY improved since their first album. These are honest-to-God BETTER songs as a whole.

Would you like to know more?

Qwerty19

I will say that I agree with most of your post, you made some valid points. But what I quoted....NO WAY.

Minus

Oh really?

Look at Runaway's chorus:

G G G G# G, F F F G# G, G G G G G# G, F F F G F E

Pushing Me Away chorus:

C D D C C D D, C D D C C D D, C D D, C C D D, E E E E F E

Compared to The Messenger chorus:

C F E C D C, A Bb A F

Compared to the chorus of WTCFM:

C D D# F G F G, G F D# D C Bb C

A lot of the choruses in Hybrid Theory were very easy, simple, boring melodies. To which you say, "You didn't use In The End as an example!" To which I reply, "I also didn't use With You as an example. And for that, you're welcome."

Qwerty19

I think you've misunderstood my point.

Honestly, I have always find musical theory very boring. At the end of the day, I just let the music speak. If a really simple melody turns out to sound great to my ears, then I consider it good. I'm not talking about musicianship, I'm talking about how enjoyable a sound is. And to my ears, some of the HT melodies are some of their most enjoyable. And no way you'll make me change my mind. I still reckon the musicianship into LT is way more developped than in HT. But I appreciate more HT.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
    lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This reminds me of a song called Step Up.

bfoley4685

bfoley4685 Member

You made some valid points. I myself am like you . I love music not genres but all music. When I judge an album I could care less if it's groundbreaking or similar to past material and or other artist. All I care about is the overall songs. A good song is a good song. In my opinion Hybrid theory has 11 great songs. All with Excellent melodies. Those songs sound better to me then these. It's really that simple and just a matter of opinion. In regards to my age comment ask people,I'll bet I'm close to right if people are honest.

Minus

I don't think age has anything to do with it. And with LP, it's slightly unfair. Think of the type of people LP attracted with the ANGST-filled album in 2001. Of course they'd be in their 20s now. Your point is true in that the greater percentage of LP's fans are in their early 20s, but that has nothing to do with their taste in music.

As a musician, I find the band's newer work to be superior and more enjoyable to listen to. That has nothing to do with age. Age shouldn't matter in a music discussion like this. Does my age make me unable to properly enjoy certain kinds of music? Does the fact that I'm under 27 automatically mean that I'll like this or that more?

Based on your argument, then there would be a higher percentage of people that liked A Thousand Suns more than Hybrid Theory, and I can assure you that this is false. The forum here isn't a good representation of the LP fanbase; the forum-goers here (for the most part) are more intelligent than the average LP fan. If you were to do a poll of the complete LP fanbase, I guarantee you more under-27s would agree with you and not me about albums like ATS and LT compared to HT and Meteora.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

To be honest, I'm kind of afraid to play Hybrid Theory ever again now. To me it felt archaic and past it's prime after A Thousand Suns... And after listening to Living Things the past two days nonstop, I would say it is superior to A Thousand Suns. So IMO:

Living Things>>A Thousand Suns>>>>Hybrid Theory.

Yeah um, I have to disagree with you there, Minus.
    It's quite obvious that the Hybrid Theory melodies are simpler. But that doesn't mean the melodies are worse. It's quite subjective actually, because some people like certain melodies and others don't. :p

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

ATS>LT>Reanimation/M2M>HT/Everything else>Meteora.

So, LIVING THINGS.