Living Things vs A Thousand Suns

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Money Maker Mike, Jun 16, 2012.

?

Living Things or A Thousand Suns?

1. Living Things

68.7%
  2. A Thousand Suns

31.3%
  1. Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lying is not a good word to use in an argument FYI.

Just because something is melismatic doesn't mean it can't be aggressive. Also, Chester never sings it live as aggressive as it sounds on record. If power chords = bad, you must not be a fan of HT, huh? It's not used here nearly as much and almost none at all in some songs, but what matters is that the songwriting is better than before. Plus, there's greater variation on bass here than previous records. Also, if you think they're all the same structure, Victimized, RU, UIB would like a word. Yes, ATS had greater scope and ambition as I've said, but coming from MTM, it was hard not to sound much better; LT also brings many new sounds to the table for the band.

2. hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

Just because a song has unconventional structures doesn't make it good. Albums are usually thematically, sonically, or in some way similar within their individual pieces. Or else all albums would sound like the cluster-fuck which is MTM. An album that sounds like a collection of disjointed thoughts.

So, Hybrid Theory must suck too eh?

3. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

If someone told you to write a bluegrass song and you decided to use 808s, piano, and a tuba for the whole thing, it would be a terrible bluegrass song no matter how your song sounds because those instruments aren't used for bluegrass.

If someone told you that they were a rapper, but all of their flows were off-beat, they would be a bad rapper because you need rhythm to rap.

If I told you "Hey, I made this 20 minute epic pop song!", I'd be stupid as shit because that isn't a pop song.

Last but not least, everybody has heard someone royally fuck up a classical piano piece before. You know when it happens because it sounds horrible to everyone in the room who isn't tone deaf.

These things are not subjective and they are musical.

4. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

"I see your point, but I disagree."

5. Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Not true. Memento is one of my favorite movies, and while great, I know for fact it is not the best movie of all time. I love the fuzzy little stuffing out of Alien vs. Predator with all my shameless heart, but I'll be the first to stand up and tell you the movie sucks Transformers 2's Devastator's testicles.

Just because you like something doesn't mean you can't look at it from a standpoint based on a set of criteria and theories that have worked. Masterpieces come from bending the rules, not waving your middle finger and breaking the rules.

6. Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

The shine has worn off LT real fast for me. Not enough good stuff to keep me coming back, I'm getting bored of it already. ATS>>>>LT.

7. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

How encouraging

8. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Yeah. I feel like I'm tiring of LT for the moment which has nevr happened at all For ATS. Still listen to it in its entirety atleast once a week.

9. A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

After listening to Living Things for quite awhile now, I'm disappointed. I think it's a solid release from the band but it has nothing that makes me keep coming back for more. It's just a "oh, cool" type of album. There's just nothing that really impresses me or blows me away. ATS was so out there and organic sounding, it was like "whoa". LT is more typical sounding hard rock music which doesn't amuse me anymore, especially from LP. I hope this album was just a quick "jammer" and they'll go off and really make something unique again like they did with ATS. Mike has some sick rapping going on, though, in Until It Breaks but it would have been 100x better without Brad's part. I skip to the next song whenever Brad starts to sing. Too bland and lifeless. It borderline ruins the song, in my opinion. Robot Boy stomps on and shatters Castle of Glass, and The Catalyst was a much better first single than Burn It Down. It challenged the listener and brought a new attitude to the band. Another thing, the "making of" video for LT had nothing on the making of ATS video.

Coming in, I thought LP would really have to outdo themselves to make a record better (or even as good) as ATS, so I wasn't expecting a lot, especially after only 2 years. I'm hoping LP will go "bonkers" again in the future.

10. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Living Things doesn't really have anything interesting in it. It's all, kinda, middle of the road and not taking any chances to be interesting. Sure, I actually liked it in the first couple listens but I'm old enough now to recognize my own listening habits and I know I will tire of this record very very fast (besides the parts that I am already tired of). There's nothing really that makes me wanna hit repeat. Nothing that I am enthusiastic over.

ATS remains a classic for me. It is the only album in my discography where I listen to the ENTIRE album in a go. And If I hit one song, I can't stop there, I have to keep listening to the end.

If you notice, all the mistakes you listed are novice mistakes. I think the part where a musician goes from amateur to professional is when the objective critiques give away to subjective critiques. Since we're talking about LP here, we're obviously out of league of novice mistakes like that. We're in a subjective realm now.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  11. lilj4425

lilj4425 Well-Known Member

Let's just say my ATS CD is collecting dust somewhere in the back corner of my room. Still can't get enough of LT.

12. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

Masterpieces come from what you think. Let's take Attack the Block and Warrior for example. To me they are a masterpiece, I loved them to death. AMAZING movies to me. Someone else may not say so. That doesn't change the fact that I think they are masterpieces.

13. KiAllen

KiAllen Well-Known Member

I much prefer LT to ATS. I find it difficult to sit down and listen to any song from ATS unless I listen to the whole album. Waiting for the End, Iridescent and Blackout are the only songs I listen to from ATS these days.

Already prefer the majority of songs on LT in comparison. As someone said on another thread, LT is what I wanted ATS to be.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  14. lepetitpote

lepetitpote my presence is a present kiss my ass

Well, I guess I'm the minority in this. I can still listen to Living Things and remain enjoyed and satisfied after about 100 listens yet ATS is another story. At least 20 listens and I couldn't take it no more.

15. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

When LT leaked, everyone loved it so much, and to everyone it was their favourite LP album, but now suddenly this much hate?

16. Peeper

Peeper Well-Known Member

Just getting deeper into it. I also changed some of my judgements during last few days.

17. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Don't worry, you're not the only one. I'm not bored of LT or anything. On the other side I haven't listened to ATS for some months and I don't think I'm gonna listen to it soon.

18. Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Because people start calling it the "BEST ALBUM EVER" after listening to it only once.

19. Peeper

Peeper Well-Known Member

This.

20. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I love every song on Living Things, but ATS has my favorite Linkin Park songs to date: WTCFM, BITS, Blackout and The Catalyst. For that reason, I'm leaning more towards ATS.

I feel like A Thousand Suns is my loving husband but I'm currently having a hot, steamy affair with Living Things. :kappa: