Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Artist Direct: Linkin Park Make a Landmark Rock Record With LIVING THINGS

ArtistDirect.com editor in cheif Rick Florino got the chance to listen to Linkin Park's fifth studio album LIVING THINGS recently. It's a more than positive preview of the album, where he goes into detail about tracks we knew nothing about, including the "plain fucking sick" VICTIMIZED, the "classic-rock" infused ROADS UNTRAVELED, "tripped out" SKIN TO BONE and the "cinematic closer" POWERLESS. Check out his impressions below!

Linkin Park perfect the very concept of a musical hybrid on their highly anticipated fifth album, LIVING THINGS. ARTISTdirect.com editor in chief Rick Florino got to experience it firsthand at a listening session…

In fact, all of the best, brightest, and most brilliant elements of the group's sound have been siphoned into this offering and then expanded upon. Not only does the album live up to the promise set forth by the incendiary first single "BURN IT DOWN", it exceeds every expectation—and then some.

Let's get this out of the way right now. This is Linkin Park's best record and a landmark for rock as a whole. On June 26 the band's faithful and music fans as a whole will get one incredible ride.

LIVING THINGS comes to life with a blip of cackling feedback on "LOST IN THE ECHO". Soon, everything is subsumed by earth-shaking beats from drummer Rob Bourdon and airy synth sorcery by Joe Hahn. Brad Delson's guitars gut the swell as Mike Shinoda launches into an airtight verse beginning with the words, "You were that foundation". Chester Bennington sounds potently pristine during the stadium-size refrain, locking into an impenetrable harmony with Shinoda. They remain the most intriguing duo in music at large, and their interplay here is utterly mind-blowing. A cybernetic frenzy sizzles during a scratched out bridge before Bennington echoes, "This time I finally let you go". Phoenix's bass rumbles throughout the landscape, and suddenly you're plunged into a world ruled by these six individuals.

A torrent of scratching fuels massive danceable percussion on "IN MY REMAINS" as Bennington's divine delivery entwines with shimmering electronics. Military drums punctuate the song's mid-section as Shinoda elegantly croons a haunting harmony over piano announcing, "Like an army falling one by one".

"BURN IT DOWN" is already a timeless anthem in its own right, boasting that inescapable and irresistible refrain. Shinoda sounds like he's rapping from another universe on the skittering and staggering "LIES GREED MISERY". A majestic 21st century bitch slap, it's glitched-out, pissed-off hard rock.

Subtle handclaps bounce with the keyboards during the beginning of "I'LL BE GONE" before another instantly incisive hook. It's a firestarter with more snappy riffing from Delson. There's a folk elegance to the spacey "CASTLE OF GLASS", evincing some of Shinoda and Bennington's most poetic lyrics to date—"I'm only a crack in this castle of glass." The band manages to harness that indie vulnerability moments before their heaviest track ever "VICTIMIZED".

They've never done anything this bruising and brutal. Thrash paranoia steamrolls with tribal drums before a throat-slashing scream on the hook. It's vicious, violent, and vibrant. This unexpected drop is just plain fucking sick. You can practically envision festival crowds tearing up the ground to this one.

"ROADS UNTRAVELED" nods to classic rock, but it's unlike anything you've ever heard, especially once that big distortion hits. There's a glimmer of electro spunk to "SKIN TO BONE" before everything gets all tripped out on the refrain—another welcome surprise. On the other end of the spectrum, "UNTIL IT BREAKS" stands out as the band's most poignant ballad ever.

Everything culminates on the cinematic closer "POWERLESS". It has the heft of a John Williams score and the power of any of Linkin Park's best output.

Not only is Living Things one of the best albums of the decade, it's a new classic. Once again, Linkin Park raise the bar. This is a hybrid like you've never heard and won't again—until their next album.
    Click HERE to read the full article.

Source: ArtistDirect.com

I'm Not Obsessed!!!
    Jizzing all over my computer screen. THIS, THIS, and THIS:

Let's get this out of the way right now. This is Linkin Park's best record and a landmark for rock as a whole. On June 26 the band's faithful and music fans as a whole will get one incredible ride.

Proud Venezuelan LP fan. With adorable feet. Andreina's Avatar
    Absolutely amazing article.. I don't know if they're dead on.. But they sure bowed down to LP on this record. I'm loving it

I'm so looking forward to VICTIMIZED now, like I said before, I'm looking forward to the whole album, and not focusing on individual tracks.

This is a hybrid like you've never heard and won't again—until their next album
    That's right. Only Linkin Park is able to make such amazing music of this kind.

Still, missing information from TINFOIL and POWERLESS.

and suddenly you're plunged into a world ruled by these six individuals.
    They've ruled my world since 2001, if you ask me.
    Last edited by Andreina; 05-10-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Why no Tinfoil love?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Stop projecting your semen-crusted fantasies onto me, you assmilk loving fuck.
    REE FOR ADMIN

MISSION SUCCESSFUL.
    LOUIS FOR ADMIN

Linkin Park Soldier. LPUer. LPSTer. YoMarques's Avatar
    Okay. Please, the record. Now.
    "Dream big, work hard and don't be an asshole." - Mike Shinoda

Glory to the HypnoToad! HypnoToad's Avatar
    You know. Whenever the band themselves talk about how the record is gonna sound, I find myself wincing....but then when articles like this come out my excitement rises over 9000.

And I must say, I'm really intrigued to hear "Victimized" now, if only for the apparently brutal scream. Hell, just give me the album now.

Hey I have a Tumblr
    Queen Hypno of Toad

Opening
    This is getting to much LIVING THINGS needs to come out now!! Such an awesome review!

Banned
    So fucking hyped, i feel like a little kid again.

So, errr, that VICTIMIZED sounds kinda cool, huh?

/Mind Blown.

Don't Stop Running
    Shinoda elegantly croons a haunting harmony over piano announcing, "Like an army falling one by one"
    In My Remains is now my second most anticipated song. But really, I can't take this anymore. It seems like every bit of new info builds me up, and the next breaks me back down

I just had a shower. I think I need another one after reading this.
    Attachment 4504
    [✔] Firing Squad

[] Line Up

Nish: I've seen enough Shoutbox to know where this is going

This article has me pumped beyond belief! Admittedly he's missed out Tinfoil and Powerless but what he has reviewed sounds amazing! It should be noted though that at least to my knowledge he's always given LP favourable reviews - I remember he was one of the few initial reviewers that saw ATS for what it was.
    25.01.08, Sheffield, England
    29.06.08, Milton Keynes, England
    01.08.09, Knebworth, England
    19.02.10, London, England (Dead by Sunrise)
    04.11.10, Manchester, England (Meet & Greet)
    09.11.10, Birmingham, England
    12.06.11, Donington, England, Download Festival
    04.07.11, London, England, iTunes Festival

Seeking tenderness with a dagger Manu's Avatar
    I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing's happening!
    *Formerly known as Manu, then Dinobot, and now Manu again because that's how I roll*

Goodnight, Raggedy man. Pidgeon's Avatar
    O_O my excitment for this just like, exploded. I want to victimized so bad. That and castle of glass has piqued my interest from day one

LPA team
    The one thing that's stopping me from having an orgasm right now is the fact that this was done by Artistdirect. Artistdirect LOVES Linkin Park like no other music site. If the band released a song featuring animal farts it would probably still get a 5/5 from these guys. But the song descriptions sound really interesting and I cannot wait to hear this album.

Also, it looks like Chester's "I don't want to scream anymore" comment was complete, and utter, bull shit

This goes out to everybody still hatin' Bennington_Hahn's Avatar
    Holy shit! Anticipation over 9,000!
    LGM gets yet more love & victimized just sounds insane. If this album truly is this good, holy fuck. Although no mention of tinfoil/powerless? The closers are typically the best tracks.

Must. Not. Get. Hopes. Up!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    You know. Whenever the band themselves talk about how the record is gonna sound, I find myself wincing....but then when articles like this come out my excitement rises over 9000.

And I must say, I'm really intrigued to hear "Victimized" now, if only for the apparently brutal scream. Hell, just give me the album now.
    Brutal screaming and heavy rapping, i cant take anymore.

FUCK THE PUZZLES, I WANT THAT ALBUM!!!
    ALLCAPSEVERYTHING

Each word gets lost in the echo... Bruno's Avatar
    Oh. My. Fucking. God.

I almost started crying I must say, this made me so pumped that I thought I would have an heart attack.

what an AMAZING review, if I already was excited about this album I don't even know what to say now.

No, seriously, Victimized? And every other track's description it's all brutal I can't wait to hear this!
    06/Junho/2008 - RiR (Linkin Park, Offspring, Muse, Kaiser Chiefs, Orishas)
    17/Junho/2009 - Marilyn Manson, Coliseu do Porto
    5/Março/2010 - More Than a Thousand, São Mamede
    27/Maio/2010 - RiR (Muse, Snow Patrol, Xutos, Fonzie)
    16/Julho/2010 - Marés Vivas (Placebo, David Fonseca, A Silent Film)
    23/Junho/2011 - Avenged Sevenfold, Campo Pequeno
    18/Novembro/2011 - Machine Head e convidados (Machine Head, Bring Me the Horizon, DevilDriver, Darkest Hour), Coliseu do Porto
    27/Maio/2012 - RiR (Linkin Park, Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Limp Bizkit)
    10/Junho/2013 - Muse, Estádio do Dragão
    27/Novembro/2013 - Avenged Sevenfold, Campo Pequeno
    1/Março/2014 - More Than a Thousand + Bury Tomorrow, Hard Club
    30/Maio/2014 - RiR Linkin Park, QOTSA

Thread Information