Obama Endorses Gay Marriage, North Carolina Bans It.

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Jesse, May 9, 2012.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

North Carolina bans Gay Marriage and Civil Unions.

Read more Here

Obama Endorses Gay Marriage.

Read more Here.

Also

From Think Progress

Copyright Think Progress, Huffingtonpost & Rawstory.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
    Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Yeah, but that doesn't mean he'll actually do anything to help the process along.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I'm surprised Obama wasn't already for gay marriage. I guess I hadn't done enough research about him on that issue.

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

He was for Civil Unions, I think. Not actual marriage.

Jesse

He was. When he was senator he expressed his view that he thought gay people should be allowed to marry. He's very subtlety done things to prove it as president, aka repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell and stopped defending the Defense of Marriage Act. As president he's said his views on marriage equality were "Evolving" but now he's come full circle and finally said it in a very solid way.

He stopped defending DOMA and repealed DADT. How is that not doing anything?

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

And up until now it actually benefitted him to be neutral at best on the issue. Think about it: before this, if you were a conservative opposed to gay marriage or gay anything, Obama being in support meant an automatic vote against him. Now think about the gay vote: yes, gays would be less inclined to support President Obama if he denied them legal rights in the future, but who's the alternative? Certainly not the Republicans, they want to go in the reverse direction. Ron Paul? He'd probably say it was impinging on the rights of states or something to let gays marry. So Obama made an unfortunate but expedient decision, but now thankfully it benefits him more to come in unequivocal support of gay rights.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Doesn't change my vote for him and I think it remains that way for others. Sure, he may picked up a few more voters from this, but most people already knew what his beliefs were when they voted for him.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I don't really know what to say. Obama's new stance doesn't really mean anything to me nor does the north Carolina amendment. Obama just came around to stance he took years ago and dropped when he became a candidate. North Carolina can stick their head in the sand as deep as they want the world is.still going evolve and we're still going to get there. So none of this means anything to me

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

It's not about politics really. It's about equality for everyone. And being an African-American being in such a political position as he is, he would know all about equality and giving everyone a fair go. I am really happy that he has come out and pubically announced this. I really don't know a lot about his political policies but this is a huge positive move in my eyes.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

If it's not about politics, why has he been saying that he believes "marriage is between a man and a woman" for the past 10-12 years? Did he just now become a fair person?

Ron Paul has stated repeatedly that while he is personally against gay marriage, it is up to the states to decide and that "everyone has their own definition of marriage, so we shouldn't try to force our own definitions onto anybody else." He also wants to de-politicize the issue.

Gloomy Mushroom

Cos his daughters spoke to him and expressed their concern about the topic. Or so that's what the news said here.

SuperDude526

SuperDude526 Well-Known Member

Y'know I hate to say it, but it pretty much is always about politics. For all we know, he's always been in support of gay marriage. But until now, that was a politically tenuous position to take: it wasn't certain if people would vote for you, and other lawmakers in other branches of government would almost certainly do their darndest to stop you, because their constituents told them to. In politics as in business as in so many other things in the real world, expediency is king.

The Prisoner

The Prisoner ...O...

I welcome that, though this position should not be seen as a revolution but as normality. I'm glad Obama brought this up, again.
    One of the few things the socialdemocratic/green cabinet did right in Germany, back at the end of the 90s. It was not much.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

[​IMG]

Truth.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Damn straight.

Frankly, the fact that this is even an issue is embarrassing.

Jesse

+1

Gloomy Mushroom

I would hate for my kids to see me like that or to be homophobic. Homophobia is something I cant wrap my head around cos there are to many flaws in that phobia.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

I'm all for gay marriage, but let's face it. This decision was made because it's reelection time.

Obama is just a puppet.

Jesse

Not being racist: Historically, as a demographic. African Americans have been against Gay Marriage so... this might not completely help him.... but then again the Democrats sure aren't going to vote for Romney and will probably remain apathetic if they can't decide who to vote for and not vote at all.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

yes!