Disturbed.

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by wakadoodle, May 2, 2012.

wakadoodle

wakadoodle Banned

David Draiman.

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I love this band, too bad they've gone on a hiatus.

Although I'd like to see something a little bit different from them, I've read a lot of people say that they use the same sound over and over again, it's not totally wrong, but I think the songs are still good, I mean, I loved Asylum, Serpentine was a highlight for me, as well as The Animal.

It would be interesting to see if they come back together, what kind of stuff they can come up with, they need some new tools in their :toolbox: :lol:

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

Agreed! That's probably why their criticised by people most of the time, but like you, I still really like them. Their talented musicians that just need to branch out a bit more :lol:

Love this band. Kinda fell out of love with Asylum, but Indestructible remains one of my favourite albums of all time.

Andreina

Yeah, Indestructible's concept was very straight forward. I remember reading that David said in an interview something like "I'm going thru some tough shit right now, hit me with the heaviest riffs you have and I'll write to them". That record is punching you in the face from start to finish.

My favorites from Indestructible are definitely The Night, The Curse, Torn and Façade.

Their music is awesome, however I think they needed some help with the artwork in their records. Covers were fucking awesome but color-choices made me raise my eyebrows more than once. I seriously did not expect to find a blue CD when opening Indestructible. TTF and Believe were a little bit of that as well.

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

You guys know the band is on Hiatus right? I was really close to getting a Disturbed pentagram tattoo in my younger days.

Andreina

Uh, yes?

What I said earlier was what I'd like to hear IF they came back together.

emptyspaces0

emptyspaces0 Hunter Eats Hunter

Great band, saw them twice last year and they put on a kickass show! Wouldn't mind seeing them again once they come back from their hiatus.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

My best friend has the Disturbed pentagram inked on her back.

Star Scream

Star Scream Does A Machine Like You Ever Experience Fear

great band... the songs i liked from them are stupify and decendance

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

I like This Moment. Bitter yet? YES I AM BITTER YET YOU SON OF A BITCH STOP YELLING AT ME

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

They're like a broken fucking record. Damn dude I don't think I've liked one band you've posted :lol:

Gloomy Mushroom

I like two songs other then that I have never known a guy that has creeped me out. Then I saw David Draiman. Stricken and Mistress (lol!) are the two songs.

Draiman creeps me more out more then Marilyn Manson.

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

I feel that Disturbed just kinda lost it after they began to self produce their albums. Their first three albums were great, Indestructible had a few great songs, and Asylum was utterly forgettable except for the U2 cover. They were the first band I ever saw live, so it saddens me a bit to see them go so far downhill. I would love it if whenever they come back they manage another album that will blow me away. I doubt it will happen however.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I'm not a big fan of Draiman. He just strikes me as a dueche. His song stirring isn't to good either

Andreina

Well yeah, I do like all of their albums but I can't disagree with you. I think that the self-producing is what actually got the band on this "endless loop". Dan was the producer for their latest efforts and I love his playing but I think that being in the band of the records he was producing kinda "boxed" him in into the sound. I think they needed a 3rd party to give them that advice, it was pretty much like "ok I like what I'm playing, I'm putting this on the album" with no extra feedback from an outside source.

The BIG difference between this self-producing and what Mike is doing with Linkin Park is Rick Rubin. Rick -apart from being a genius- is the kind of guy that pushed the LP to break the mold they were in. Linkin Park had the original idea of stepping out of their comfort zone for MTM but Rick was there to push and help them along the way to rediscover their sound.

That's for me the key on why did every Disturbed album sound similar when they started self-producing, they boxed themselves in and let their creativity flow without pushing the envelope.

If they come back, I think they should be under the wings of a new producer.

BTW I bought the Limited Edition for Asylum and the documentary "A Decade of Disturbed" was pretty awesome, it made me respect them more than I did at that moment (and Chester appeared for a full 2~3 seconds :awesome:)

Gloomy Mushroom

I am so buying that doco now. :lol:

Disturbedthoughts

I feel like my post was a bit of a downer :lol:, so I do want to stress that I am fan of this band. I do enjoy the music they put out. I just feel that Indestructible and Asylum don't hold a candle to their previous three albums. Now that said, my all time favorite song by them is off of Indestructible. Façade is a hell of a great song. :headbang: Although Dehumanized comes in a damn close second.

Andreina

I hadn't heard Dehumanized (click here for my guitar cover ^_^) before The Lost Children was out, since I only had standard copies of their albums, never really got fully into the b-sides or downloaded them, and that was what made TLC interesting for me, I didn't know many of the songs (This Moment, Leave it Alone, God of the Mind, and 3 were the only songs I knew), and Dehumanized is a pretty damn fine track (Old Friend is another good one there).

I don't know if I can choose a favorite Disturbed song, but I can guarantee Stricken, The Night and Serpentine are in a tough battle there.

And maybe it's just me, that I have something wrong in my head, but I could say I choose Indestructible or Asylum over The Sickness, don't get me wrong, Sickness has some great classics there, it's probably related to the effects on the guitar maybe? Very crunchy, with less bass and more treble, I don't know, I prefer the Indestructible/Asylum guitar sound.. When you hear The Lost Children for example, you can tell which song is from which era, by just paying attention to the guitar.

Disturbedthoughts

Well done cover. I have yet to pick up a copy of The Lost Children actually. I heard Dehumanized on their live album, Music As A Weapon II, and was ecstatic when they released the studio version as a b-side later. I've always been a big fan of their b-sides to be honest. When I say that Façade is my all time favorite...or that any song or what have you for that matter...take it with a grain of salt. My favorites change often. :lol: Have you ever heard the stuff they did as Brawl? They had a different singer and name starting out. Its kind of a trip to listen to.

The song Protest, which became Guarded some ten years later. I think there are, three other songs? Two? Something like that.
    [video=youtube;l-dlCLIypzI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-dlCLIypzI[/video]

Edit: Oh, here is another you may recognize. Circles, which became Divide.
    [video=youtube;q-MvGDTa6Eo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-MvGDTa6Eo[/video]

Last edited: May 3, 2012