Rooted Phones

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Apr 28, 2012.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Someone explain to me what "rooted" phones mean please.

@LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

Rooting is a process allowing users of mobile phones, tablet PCs, and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's subsystem. Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user. Rooting is analogous to jailbreaking devices running the Apple iOS operating system or the Sony PlayStation 3. On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system.
    As Android was derived from the Linux kernel, rooting an Android device is similar in practice to accessing administrative permissions on Linux or any other Unix-like computer such as FreeBSD or OS X.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Personally, I don't know why carriers lock their devices. I understand they want to put their own software on their devices, but they should allow users to remove the software they don't want.

I was explaining it to my friend, and I told him it's like going to the grocery store and buying a frozen pizza, but not being able to add your own extra toppings because the company won't let you.

I paid good money for my device; I should be able to do whatever the hell I want with it. It's just that simple. There shouldn't even be a community dedicated to "rooting" or "jailbreaking" devices. You should be able to modify your device however you see fit (at your own risk, of course).

I just rooted my phone and I couldn't be happier. I can do so much more with it now that it's rooted.

Gloomy Mushroom

Rooting your phone voids warranty doesn't it?

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

Most rooting applications allow you to unroot it if you start having issues.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm still pissed Sony removed the other OS option from the PS3. I once aspired to get one, "It does everything" not anymore.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

They took it out?

That's fucked.

Jesse

They did. If you still have an old non-updated PS3 there are even restrictions on watching Blu-Ray if you do not apply the update.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

I'd be like fuck it and not bother watching Blu Ray movies on it.

Especially since you can get a good one for pretty cheap now.

Will

Yeah. But if you're resourceful, you can "unroot" your phone and the manufacturer would have a hell of a time figuring out if it was rooted or not.

In fact, after I rooted my phone, I unrooted it just to see if it worked. It does. Not that I need to worry about it, since my phone was never under warranty anyway.

Jesse

Don't worry, Sarah you can unroot your phone/tablet. I rooted my moms and then unrooted and later she sent it back because the battery was overheating. They gave her a new phone with charger and usb cable and sd card, and even let her keep the old battery. They never said anything about the old one being rooted. ;)

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

How exactly does one go about rooting ones phone?

Gloomy Mushroom

Yeah but I have had my Galaxy Tab for about six months so I am not going to dare root it just to be on the safe side.

Will

Let's put it this way: If you're good at following instructions, you'll be able to root your phone in no time, assuming that a root exists.

I followed a guide to the letter and rooted my phone in 15 minutes. Then, I decided I'd rather have a different ROM, so I unrooted my phone, rooted it again and flashed a different ROM. I'm not technically savvy by any means, but it's really easy to do, once you get the hang of it.

Jesse

Not to mention there are super easy rooting methods for some devices in which all you have to do is install an app and click "Permanent Root" "Temp Root" or "Unroot" and viola.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

You can try looking for one click rooting applications as well.

Much easier and allows unrooting with the same application.

Will

One-click root programs would be awesome if they worked. I found three for my phone, but none of them worked because my provider updated my phone's firmware to prevent rooting. I had to go about rooting my phone in a completely different way, bypassing absolutely every security measure put on my phone. It was a hassle, but worth it.

If you can find a one-click root program, give it a shot. If it doesn't work, you'll have to really research and look for ways to root your phone, like I did.