The Next "Great" Rock Band

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Apr 20, 2012.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Seems like the majority of super-successful rock bands these days have been around for ages. Nobody has come close to matching Linkin Park's international success and influence over the last decade.

So who is the next great rock band? Will we see another one, considering the current culture of music listeners?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

If the world was just, it would have been Thrice.

That said, Coldplay is as almost successful as Park was (maybe more, if you count the way their popularity has actually exploded more as opposed to dropping later in their career). Some people consider them strictly pop, but they're the only actual band band having any real success off the top of my head.

Furthermore, I was genuinely shocked to find out Mylo Xyloto sold 447,000 in it's first week in the US. Bands just don't move that anymore. That has to count for something.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I already consider Coldplay one of those older rock industry magnates, along with Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers (who I dislike). As for who is the "next great rock band", I don't see anyone claiming that mantle at the moment. Maybe Arcade Fire will do something awesome. Kings of Leon faded out despite their huge popularity a few years ago.

Muse has a huge international following but they simply haven't been able to break out in North America, which is a damn shame considering their talents.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I wish Muse were more popular. :( Those 3 guys = 100 normal musicians in terms of talent.
    But "The Resistance" wasn't a strong album, which doesn't help matters much.

Anyways, to the original question... What about The Black Keys? ;) They may be on the same level of success as LP after a few years..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
    @LP2K12

@LP2K12 Est. 2K12

I wish more people would acknowledge the epicness of Thrice.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The sad truth is, there aren't any great new bands...

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

OneRepublic could be heading in this direction. They also have a huge international following, and are quite talented on top of that.

Edit: Wait, we're all forgetting Arcade Fire. If their (well deserved) Grammy win brings them more mainstream attention, I'd be ready to crown them the best band of our generation. Shit, I'd be willing to do that right now. They are fucking artists.

shinformant

shinformant Banned

Every Time I Die are the greatest rock band of this generation.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

What? The Black Keys would like a word with you.

[youtube]Q8uGrSLqxVA[/youtube]

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I think The Shins (Which is actually just one man + band for the most part) while not being overly are one of the mos. Tht talented and greatest bands around.

Arcade Fire is up there too, as well as The Black Keys. They're all Great, just not as popular as they deserve to be.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

As you're posting suggestions, I'm checking how many likes do the bands have on Facebook. The young generation is on Facebook, so how many likes they have tells a lot about the popularity of the bands today.

To start with, Linkin Park have 41.241.198 likes.

Coldplay have 19.972.043 likes.

Muse have 12.793.640 likes.

I'll add 30 Seconds to Mars, who have 8.108.505 likes. (I'm surprised, I thought they'd have more.)

OneRepublic have 2.596.659 likes.

The Black Keys have 2.006.621 likes.

Arcade Fire have 1.422.227 likes.

The Shins have 431.720 likes.

Thrice have 350.215 likes.

I'm also adding White Lies (although I don't believe they'll become the next great rock band since their music is not for everyone), who have 332.681 likes.

Lastly, Every Time I Die have 159.056 likes.

Just a little statistics.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Dream Theater have 2.534.562 likes.

Wow, I didn't know they were so popular.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

As you're checking the suggestions, I'm also checking bands that are proven greats throughout history for their likes on Facebook. Because apparently Facebook is the end-all of greatness for bands.

Red Hot Chili Peppers have 17,505,934 likes. Coldplay has more than them.

Nine Inch Nails have 2,172,942 likes. OneRepublic and above have more than them.

The Beatles have 26,867,825 likes. Linkin Park is more popular than The Beatles.

Led Zeppelin have 5,118,910 likes. 30 Seconds To Mars beats Led Zeppelin.

Huh.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I guess he was talking about the "young" generation.. :) In that case, Coldplay IS more popular than RHCP and Linkin Park is more popular than The Beatles, atleast among the "young" ones..

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

Much of the generation today, specifically in this modern world, no one really know who are The Beatles. Remember on Tumblr, during the grammy, people asked who the hell was the old white guy, it was Sir Paul.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Exactly. Sad but true. :(

ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

I don't wish the next "Great rock band" to be "great" because of the number of likes on FaceBook, followers on Twitter/Tumblr or amount of fan craziness, because that would mean the likes of Justin Bieber or other teenage pop sensation is "great" too. I think bands, and fans alike, should all be mature.

Bands that I am a fan of have very realistic approach to music in the form of different perspectives, unlike the love/sex/money topic of pop.

If Breaking Benjamin were to come back and Ben conquers his phobia of flying and play outside the U.S., I'm sure they can make it big, too. They are the next band to Linkin Park for me. I mean, if you want to, listen and read the lyrics, it tells a story as well, much alike Linkin Park.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I don't think Facebook likes are a good indicator. A lot of people just like things on Facebook.

I have 50 friends that like Linkin Park. And I know for a fact that a lot of them just like a couple singles off HT and Meteora and that's it. So those statistics are not incredibly telling.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

This, I guess.

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

I know who The Black Keys are and I'm aware of their awesomeness. But they have been around for a while now, and aren't that popular on a grand scale. I meant that there aren't any NEW bands last 2-3 years...