The Next "Great" Rock Band

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Mark, Apr 20, 2012.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, they aren't that popular on a grand scale. They only just headlined Coachella. :rolleyes:

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I've heard some Breaking Benjamin... :) Nice band.

Anyways, my answer to the original post is this - The definition of "greatness" has changed since the days LP became world-famous. The internet is HUGE now.. Infact, huge enough to accommodate hundreds of successful bands like LP.. But I don't think that in today's "15 minutes of fame" scenario can a band really get famous for a long enough time to be considered "great".
    For example, I feel that The Black Keys are at their peak. Even if they are extremely talented, at the end of the day, another "cool" indie band will come up with a new retro rock style and make millions of fans, then fall again. The "cycle" of popularity has become MUCH smaller since the start of the Internet Age... Also add to that the fact that Dance-pop is pretty much overshadowing Rock in the mainstream (except bands like LP, Coldplay, Green Day and Foo Fighters, who thankfully became popular before the fall started, and so, can survive) ..

In short, unless someone REALLY good and TIMELESS (not dependent on fads and novelty ideas) comes up, the music industry will be ruled by the "Lady Gaga"s and the "Lil Wayne"s...

Just my 2 cents..

Minus

Ew, Green Day.

I could go on about how pop has always overshadowed rock in the mainstream but yeah...

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

What's so "ew" about them? :p Just asking...

And yes, I agree that pop has always overshadowed Rock, but not as much as its doing today. Do we have bands as popular as GnR, Nirvana, Bon Jovi etc today? No sir.. The gap between Pop and Rock has widened..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

It hurts to say but five finger death punch has really exploded. I guess there kinda the new big thi. . . :puke: sorry the thought makes me sick

Minus

Yes, we do. We're just missing what GnR, Nirvana, and Bon Jovi have over bands today. Time.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Yeah, i guess that's a very good point. :)

Well, I was born in 1994, and I'm from a small city in an overpopulated country. If it wasn't for the internet, I would never have discovered even LP, forget the others.. So, I guess I can't speak much about the condition of the music industry, coming from a country where people mostly listen to Bollywood songs! :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012

The great rock bands of this era (early 2010's) is Coldplay and Linkin Park. Which is kind of sad because both bands didn't do anything extremely revolutionary. Other bands don't have the same popularity, and the ones that do are poppy junkies (ex. Hedley, now-Maroon 5, NIckelback etc). There are bands who used to release amazing material, but are fading away (NIN, Radiohead). And then there are the older bands who are only popular for their older stuff, like Guns and Roses and AC/DC (NOT LP). So based on the track materials and global popularity, it's pretty safe to say the great rock bands of this era is Coldplay and LP.

I don't think there will be another great rock band for a long, long time. Somebody needs to do something really awesome and fresh with Rock music. Something timeless.

EDIT: There is a slight chance Foster the People could be extremely famous. They're really appealing to the mainstream AND have fresh, awesome tracks.

Minus

Of course NIN are fading away, Trent technically "retired" the name. Radiohead is nowhere near fading away in my opinion.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Yeah, what's so "ew" about Green Day?

Minus

They haven't put out good music since before American Idiot.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Since BEFORE American Idiot? :huh:

American Idiot is arguably one of the best rock albums of our times imo. But I agree that 21CB wasn't as good.. They are releasing THREE albums this year, and the leaks suggest they are returning back to the "Nimrod/Warning" sound.. So, you might be happy I guess.. ;)

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

Justin Bieber and the Pussykittens. :trollface:

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Dope band...

Oh, I never knew that lol.

And since OK computer and Kid A, radiohead's material hasn't been up-to-par. I mean, their recent album was amazing! But nothing compared to 10 years ago.

lime treacle

Why I've put a list of likes is because here we're talking about the next, hence future "great" rock bands, and, as I've said, the majority of the people on Facebook is young. Aren't young people the future?

Take me for an example. Minus, you mentioned Nine Inch Nails, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. I've only heard "Wish" from NIN because Linkin Park covered it. I've never heard a Beatles song. I've never heard a Led Zeppelin song. Can you blame me? Not really. I know these bands are legends and blah blah blah, but I wasn't alive back in their time and they did nothing for me.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Rock music just isn't as much of a commercial force as it used to be (which could admittedly be a cyclical thing). Rock radio has contributed to that significantly, imo. Stale, derivative garbage clogs up the airwaves. Assuming your local market still even has a modern rock station, that is. They're dropping like flies.

Minus

I can blame you and will. :lol:

I wasn't born when Jane's Addiction started up, still listened to them. I've listened to every Led Zeppelin song, own almost all the albums by The Beatles and NIN.

I wasn't alive back when RHCP started up and they did SOMETHING for me. By your argument The Beatles shouldn't be relevant to me because I wasn't alive when they were around. Same goes for every musician who is influenced by them nowadays apparently.

deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

In all honesty it's hard to say.

Good rock music doesn't have the mainstream appeal it once did.

lime treacle

RHCP are still here. They're mainstream. I know quite some songs. That's why I didn't mention them. Led Zeppelin and The Beatles don't exist anymore. I've never saw a NIN video on TV. Just saying.

What you do is you pick up some thing I said and make a big deal out of it, creating yourself an argument.