Green Day intend to release album trilogy

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Blackee Dammet, Apr 12, 2012.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mus...day-to-unleash-a-trilogy-uno-dos-and-tre.html

I see this ending poorly, 21st Century Breakdown was one album and was a jumbled clusterfuck. Barring each album only having a few, super focused songs, I can see these new albums being worse than the last album.

ShinodaTwin

ShinodaTwin Linkinland is the new Disneyland

I actually liked their new direction. I can't wait for their new albums!

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I'm pretty excited for this

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

I personally felt the main problem with 21st Century Breakdown was that it was VERY long (Almost twice the size of your regular Linkin Park album, and thrice the size of your regular punk album!). Green Day is an AMAZING band but they can get repetitive at times. It basically sounded like an extended "American Idiot" in some alternate universe. ;)
    They are probably addressing the length problem by separating the albums.. Also, from a business point of view - more albums = more sales.
    Judging from the large no. of new songs they have started playing live, its seems like they are definitely going back to the old pre-"American Idiot" sound once again. Which makes me SUPER excited for this trilogy.

This year is gonna be AWESOME for Rock Music! :D All my favourite bands (LP, GD, Muse, U2 and possibly a reunited Blur) are gonna release their albums!

shinformant

shinformant Banned

I have no problem with them progressing and experimenting with their music, but I wish they'd leave the concept album fuckery alone for a bit. The last time they did that it resulted in their best album, and taken as individual songs some of the tracks on 21st Century Breakdown are great.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I think this is a cool idea, but I can see it backfiring for them. They're a reasonably talented band but they're wasting their talent making these grandiose albums. They need to get back to what they're good at doing, and that's making fun music.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Yeah, I just don't want them to go back to dookie. They were really on to something with American Idiot, but lost me with 21st. They need to do American Idiot again only 100% different :lol:

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Agree with the general sentiment that 21CB was a step back from AI. The latter's one of my favourite albums of all time but 21CB really needed quality control. I can name 7 tracks off hand that could have been left out and we'd have a much better album.

Anyway, I'm conflicted about this new. On one hand, the fanboy in me waiting for any morsel of Green Day album news just got hit with not just one, but THREE (OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1), but the rationalist in me thinks it'll suffer from quality control issues like CB just cause of the sheer number of songs (unless it's like 5 songs an album). Here's to hoping they prove me wrong. In either case, I'm sure I'll find at least one full album's worth of content to like, considering it's Green Day.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Agreed.

21st Century Breakdown wasn't bad, but it was extremely bloated and lyrically weak. That was just one album. It's rare for a band even to pull off a double album that justifies its length, and they're releasing three? I'm skeptical.

RapidGunner

RapidGunner The Catalyst

Fanboy inside me - "But it's GREEN DAY, the most bada** band in mainstream rock after Foo Fighters! (No offense LP!) ;) They can pull off EVERYTHING!

But yeah, seriously speaking, I'm a tiny bit skeptical too.. Let's hope they prove us wrong.. :)

ernieball003

ernieball003 Well-Known Member

One album for all the people wanting the old pop punk.

One album for those who enjoyed the pop rock.

One concept album.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

[video=youtube;H_05XAPR8q8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_05XAPR8q8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Personally love it. Much much better than the first single off 21CB.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

It's very meh. It just reminds 21CB. It's just boring.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Green Day haven't felt like Green Day since before AI. This doesn't really help.

mastae

mastae Some Honky

Agreed.

I was never a huge fan of the band, but after I heard AI, I kind of dropped them altogether and they haven't really sparked my interest since.

Also, that Oh, Love song is hella boring.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sounding like one of those fans that cling to HT and bash new LP for not sounding like it. Green Day's repertoire is much bigger now and they're not going back to the straight pop-punk sound. Get over it.

That being said, a lot of Uno! is supposed to evoke some of the energy of early Green Day according to Billie Joe.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
    Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

It sounds pretty nice, I can dig it. It's a good song to just relax and hang out, stargaze, etc.

DO YOU KNOW THE ENEMY?
    DO YOU KNOW YOUR ENEMY?
    WELL GOTTA KNOW THE ENEMY, OHH WEH

Sorry, I just had to. :lol: darn you, WWE SmackDown.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Wow. Intensely boring and lazily written sounding song.

I love Green Day, right through to American Idiot. They disappointed me with American Idiot 2: 21st Century Breakdown, though.

But this... wow. not good.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Wow that song is boring... Disappointed.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I was meaning they haven't sounded into it as much as before. It isn't the change in sound as much as them being completely off their game.