Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by HypnoToad, Apr 6, 2012.

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Did anyone here watch "Avatar: The Last Airbender?" (the cartoon, not the shitty movie). A spin-off called "Avatar: The Legend of Korra" has been created and here's just the plot overview:

After the conclusion of the War, Aang and Zuko brought people from the four nations together and founded the United Republic, creating Republic City, a large "metropolis powered by steampunk-type technology" such as cars and motorcycles. Aang and Katara had three children, the youngest of which was Tenzin, an airbender. Meanwhile, Toph Beifong traveled extensively to teach metalbending. After Aang's death, the next Avatar, Korra, was born in the Southern Water Tribe.

At the present time, seventy years after the end of the War, Korra is a rebellious seventeen year-old girl. As the Avatar, she has already mastered waterbending, earthbending, and firebending. At the beginning of the series, Korra travels to Republic City and starts her airbending training with Tenzin. Tenzin himself is married to Pema. He has two daughters, Jinora, a "bookworm", and Ikki, a "motor-mouth", while Meelo, his youngest child, is currently his only son. Pema is currently pregnant with the couple's fourth child.

However, Republic City is not what Korra imagined it to be. Anti-benders called "Equalists", who oppose the arts of bending, utilize techniques such as chi blocking to further their goals of revolution, led by Amon. Korra must fight rampant crime and the anti-bender revolt, assisted by two brothers, Mako, a firebender, and Bolin, an earthbender. She is also joined by her animal guide, Naga, and the metalbending police force of Republic City, who are led by Toph's daughter.

The show doesn't officially premiere on TV until April 14, but the first two episodes leaked online. I watched them and I already have high hopes for this series, has anyone else?

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

.YES.

I saw the episodes right as they released them on tumblr. Pro-bending is kool. And seeing the old cast is *_*

HypnoToad

I'm kinda bummed that Katara is the only one still alive from the original series, and I'm hoping we get some flashbacks. I wanna see Aang as an adult ^_^

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

This, and Sokka. Definitely Sokka. Kind-of a funny story though, a few friends and I watched the two leaked episodes with a friend that had never seen the original series. Two days later he called to tell me that he had watched the entire first series in two days. I had to laugh, cause I can recall being at a friends birthday party when the first episode premiered. We even stopped our pinecone war to watch it. Good times. :lol:

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

ooooooooo! I didn't think of flashbacks.

And this is where I start to realize how old this series is *_*

HypnoToad

Am I the only one that got some ~Zuko~ vibes from Mako?

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

I did. Heck, the creators themselves actually mentioned the similarity as well.

HypnoToad

Ha, ok. Glad I'm not seeing what I want to see. I would go out on a limb and see that they're somehow related, but I feel that it would've been mentioned already.

HypnoToad

Ha, ok. Glad I'm not seeing what I want to see. I would go out on a limb and see that they're somehow related, but I feel that it would've been mentioned already.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

A few things.

First, if you watch the intro closely, the 4 benders that are shown displaying the elements are all Avatars. The Earthbender is Avatar Kyoshi, the Firebender is Avatar Roku, the Airbender is Aang, and Korra is shown Waterbending. This means that (and you can see it better in video)...

[​IMG]

Aang has since grown a fuckin' boss beard.

Also, a while back I made a little picture-thing concerning the first episode of LoK that I figured you might like. It got on the front page of Reddit when I posted it.

[​IMG]

Also,

[​IMG]

Korra is awesome.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

I hope I don't forget to watch this.

Bradley

Bradley Butt makes me weep, I call it a “boo-hooty".

I was already hooked when I saw the first 10 minutes of the first episode. I can't wait to see how this series progresses, it holds a lot of promise.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

I'm enjoyed the original Avatar, so I'm totally down for this.

HypnoToad

You should definitely watch the first two episodes! A quick google search should lead you to them. :)

hawk

I was going to watch them the other week but I never got around to it. I'll definitely do so today or tomorrow.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

The first 2 episodes in HD are on iTunes for free! I highly recommend it as a fan of the original series. I have huge respect for the creators for not continuing where the last series ended and decided to fast forward to the next avatar 70 years later. I can't wait for the rest of the season.

hawk

Snackman appreciates you letting us know. Downloading now.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I am downloading that shit now. Thanks for the info! ^_^

hawk

Successfully watched! Enjoyed both episodes! I enjoyed the quirkiness, much like I did in Avatar too. I'm definitely going to tune in for some more!

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I thought this was a sequel to, as you called, it, the shitty movie. But I think the film Avatar is awesome. One of my favorite films for sure.