Exclusive New Album Details: Chester Talks to Kerrang! Magazine | Full Interview

Discussion in 'News' started by Ree, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Hybrid Theory was the 2nd best selling album of the decade. It went fucking DIAMOND. How is that not mainstream? How do they need to become more popular after doing THAT? Linkin Park have always been mainstream and "pop" as in "popular". Not to be an asshole, but if you feel that people make fun of the folks that call LP sell-outs for MtM, that's because you guys don't know what a "sell-out" is. Meteora was a sell-out album. They made it to duplicate the success of HT. They made it for the potential amount of money they'd get from it, which is what a "sell-out" is, not making what you consider "pop" music. That's just called "change", and the most successful song off of the album was the sell-out "numb"-sounding "What I've Done".

2. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I can live with this.

3. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

A scar that will not heal?

And Rocky's last post was on point.

4. Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Some of them even evolved into BIRDS, because being a dinosaur wasn't profitable anymore.

Fucking sellouts.

5. m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Exactly!! They are evolutionary sell-outs

6. Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

Props for properly acknowledging LP being mainstream since HT.
    Slops for STILL not getting what sell-out means: the sacrifice of artistic direction for the sake of money. It is not the mere repeating of oneself. You can do similar things more than once and still be exploring concepts you didn't get around to doing the first time around. Having a style and using that style more than once isn't selling out. To make that accusation, you'd have to know the state of mind in the band's head (which you actually appear to be claiming, are you psychic?) or actually find a point where LP went to the press and was all "Yeah this song is really about selling Coca Cola Toothpaste."

Which brings me to another point, being that most internet denizens are not, in fact, psychic, it is difficult to justify sell-out accusations at all. "Sell Out" is a phrase that should be banned from the internet along with "True Fan" and "Sheeple." I never want to see it. Ever.

7. Manu

But Meteora wasn't about exploring new concepts, it was about rewriting the same album again, some songs being carbon copies from HT's, like Easier To Run or Don't Stay. If Meteora was the sound of HT with a twist, or a logical/more mature evolution of that sound there would be a lot less criticism. But it's not, it's just an attempt at making the same record twice.

8. Vriska

That's your point of view. I like Meteora and found it has an evolutionary step up from HT. There's more sonic complexity and blah blah blah. It sounds fresh to me because I liked it. It sounds the same to you because you don't. I could claim all of Country music sounds the same. Someone who liked country would be right in telling me to shut up.

What you are doing is trying to make an objective accusation (sell-out) based on subjective criteria (that you didn't like Meteora). That's a no-no. I see LP fans trying to do this all the time, the MTM haters make the exact same mistake.

9. Manu

First, I DO like Meteora. It was the first record I bought with my own money, so it's very special to me.

But that doesn't mean I can't see the similarities with Hybrid Theory. The only way not to see them would be by intentionally denying them, because they're painfully obvious.

And it's got nothing to do with it being the same band, Metallica released four records in a row with their original thrash metal sound, and And Justice For All sounds nothing like Ride The Lightning.

10. Vriska

And Justice For All sounds a hella lot like Ride the Lightning. I have both albums.

Nonetheless, my first post in this thread is saying that repetition of style isn't bad. That's what I'm sticking with. Similarity is not bad, and the fact that similarity exists does not indicate what motive the creator has in making them similar.

11. Manu

Not to the point where one song sounds like an attempt at rewriting an older one, like in Meteora. Now Death Magnetic...

But I agree, I don't think repetition of style is bad either. I just think it should be the artist's choice, and not the result of external pressure.

12. Serenity

Serenity Suffocating in the mess

Wait a second...
    Dinosaur = Ancient
    Ancient + Elephant = Mammoth

Dinosaur Elephant.png Next album??? :lol:
    (I'm poking fun at all the puzzle speculation and overthinking from pre-ATS in case no one got it... ;) )

13. {L}EcM3311{P}

{L}EcM3311{P} Well-Known Member

I think we need a single, or at least a snippet!!

14. A.06

A.06 Well-Known Member

Good read. Now I want me some Linkin Pie. :9

15. STINGER_LP

STINGER_LP LPCrimea Owner

16. Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

Does late March/early April seems plausible for a single release?

17. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

More like Mid-April at the earliest I'd believe.

18. Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

No. They said summer, as in July. No way they're dropping the single now.

19. Vriska

Yeah this, singlewise.

That gives it a month and a half til June, which in Southern Californian terms is summertime. Month and a half seems about par for a single.

20. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Kathy, I agree with everything here. Well put. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.