LPA Monthly Mix-Up March: Hip-Hop

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Get ready to boot up your music production software of choice, and put your skills on the line because it's once again time for...

[​IMG]

MARCH

But first, for those who don't know...

What Is the LPA Monthly Mix-Up?

LPA Monthly Mix-Up is a new and ambitious concept intended to showcase the massive amount of musical talent currently unheard among the Linkin Park fan community. Every month, we here at the LPA will be challenging fans to compete and show off their musical skills, using any and all tools available to them to create their entry. At the conclusion of each competition period, our staff will then go through each entry submitted, and pick our absolute favorite to be featured on the site as the "Winner Of The Month" with the next round of competition starting the moment the winner from the previous month is chosen. To promote fairness, runner ups will also be shown, but only one Linkin Park fan will walk away with the honor of being featured as the "Monthly Winner"

So, How Does It Work? (Official Rules)
    In order to make the contest more interesting and more challenging for those who enter, every month we will be posting a theme that all entrants are required to abide by to be considered for feature on the site. There will be no limitations on key, BPM or length (so go ahead and make a 10 minute entry!), but each submission MUST adhere to the genre (or genres) provided by us to be eligible for the competition.

Users must submit their entry as a reply to the this thread, and may use SoundCloud or YouTube to host their works. All SoundCloud submissions must feature THIS GRAPHIC as the album art, and likewise all YouTube videos must contain the aforementioned graphic in some format with the words "LPASSOCIATION.COM Monthly Mix-Up Entry:" appearing somewhere within the video/soundcloud upload title. This is done to help spread word about the monthly competitions so that more submissions can be made possible.

[Note: Including the above graphic in your submission (as either soundcloud album art, or somewhere in your youtube video) is a requirement. Failure to do so will make your entry unable to be considered in the competition. ALSO IF YOU USE SOUNDCLOUD, PLEASE ENABLE DOWNLOADS OF YOUR TRACK AS WELL AS EMBEDDING.]

ALSO ALL ENTRIES MUST BE COMPLETELY ORIGINAL, AND MAY NOT CONTAIN BACKGROUND MUSIC FROM ANOTHER ARTIST UNLESS STATED DIFFERENTLY IN THE THEME. THIS IS YOUR OWN WORK, APART FROM THE LINKIN PARK VOCALS.

The Linkin Park Association will NOT be providing links to legit instrumentals/multitracks at this time (due to licensing/copyright restrictions), so it is the sole responsibility of the entrants to obtain the files needed to create their entries. It is possible (and very easy) to find these tracks via a search in Google, however; to protect ourselves we will not be hosting these files until we one day hopefully receive permission from Warner Brothers to do so.

How Can I Enter?
    Easy! Just upload your submission to Soundcloud/YouTube following the rules above, and submit it via a reply to this thread. One month from today's date (April 1st, 2012) we will go through every submission and pick our favorite(s) for feature on the front page of the LPA. We encourage everyone to submit their entries (regardless of technical/musical/vocal proficiency) as we really would like this project to become something that every fan feels welcome to become involved in. The staff here all agree that the music community for Linkin Park has for the most part (apart from official competitions) gone completely unnoticed, and this is our way of giving attention to fans out there looking to get their talents heard!

Now That We Have That Out Of The Way...

Our official theme for the month of MARCH is:

HIP-HOP/RAP

From Wikipedia:
    "Hip hop music, also called hip-hop, rap music or hip-hop music is a musical genre consisting of a stylized rhythmic music that commonly accompanies rapping, a rhythmic and rhyming speech that is chanted. It developed as part of hip hop culture, a subculture defined by four key stylistic elements: MCing/rapping, DJing/scratching, breaking/dancing, and graffiti writing. Other elements include sampling (or synthesis), and beatboxing."

Read the history of hip-hop here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

After doing our first "free-for-all" month in February (which turned out to be a huge success), this month we have decided to go back to a designated genre to keep things challenging and make things interesting for the fanbase.

From March 2nd, 2012 and until April 1st, we are challenging YOU the fans to create your own hip-hop remix of Linkin Park's music. You are allowed to use any of the subgenres of hip-hop (as long as the remix is hip-hop in sound) and feel free to use whatever Linkin Park songs you'd like. If you'd like you can also record your own new rap verses, or use a pre-existing rap verse from another artist (even Fort Minor), but you cannot use a pre-made beat as it must be something fresh. All we ask is that you bring your creativity. Extra kudos will be given to anyone who breaks the mold and creates a completely unexpected submission, taking a song with no hip-hop influence and making it something special.

Good luck! Now start remixing!

WINNERS FOR FEBRUARY WILL BE ANNOUNCED BY MARCH 3RD IN ORDER TO ALLOW STAFF TO COME TO A CONSENSUS ON THE FINAL WINNERS.

FAMe

FAMe Member

http://soundcloud.com/fame-9/one-day-linkin-park-divided

There's my entry. I've always lurked these boards but never felt the need to make an account, until now! So glad you guys have strayed away from dub-step and trance and onto some good old hip hop! Looking forward to checking out the submissions. I made my entry over a year ago on some pretty dodgy equipment. I'd submit something else but it's the only one which fits. The instrumental is a slightly altered version of "Divided" off of LPUX.

(Bit of a disclaimer, there's some profanity...)

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Does this mean you need to make your own instrumental?

Rahat

Rahat Nyeh LPA VIP

Awesome xD time to get to work

Derek

Lol yes, I realize that "fresh" is slang for something awesome so I can get the confusion. But yes, you must make your own instrumental. You're allowed to sample bits of the song you're remixing for the beat, but the more original sounding the better.

Classic Sonic

Classic Sonic Active Member

i will join again
    Hip Hop Sounds really cool :D

Simba

Simba HEREEEE'SSSS JOHNNY

I might possibly do a remix of Wretches and Kings, if I can see some helpful tutorials on how to use FL Studio

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
    Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

I can't wait to see what people come up with this month. Good luck! ^_^

lpfanhun

lpfanhun Banned

Looks like I have to learn how to use FL Studio or make a new beat from multitracks. :huh:

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

Count me in! Thanks for choosing this theme this month :D

Edit: A little preview

[video=youtube;2ZjU822zEnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZjU822zEnA[/video]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    katten_julbrev

katten_julbrev Member

Awesome! Count me in:-D

Derek

Has potential! Keep it up!

Paolo

Paolo Well-Known Member

hmmm, challenge accepted

FAMe

FAMe Member

Crap. This means mine doesn't count, right?

{L}EcM3311{P}

{L}EcM3311{P} Well-Known Member

I hope someone does a My December hip hop remix with a Shinoda Shinoda the Cobra Holda verse from a Fort Minor/LP song.

Duragon

Duragon Well-Known Member

Derek

Regrettably, yes. The beat needs to be as original as possible. It can contain parts of the song you're remixing (like a guitar or sample) but it cant just be an LP instrumental with rap over it.

FAMe

FAMe Member

Okay, my bad. I might see if I can whip something up!

Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

I have a question regarding this. I'm doing a mix of me rapping a few verses with Chester's chorus in it too. But I'm also splicing up parts of the song (since I have Mixcraft, no multi-tracks, and I only have a FL demo studio lol) and just adding more drum beats and dynamics, and altering the tempo of the song. Basically, it's going to sound kind of like a song you'd hear on a mixtape. So does that not count or can I basically do that? x)

Oh, and I'm going to upload both the instrumental and the vocal version.

Derek

That's fine, you're still making your own beat. What we mean is that you can't say, take "Broken Foot" and rap over it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.