How long will LP last?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lpisbaws, Feb 22, 2012.

lpisbaws

lpisbaws Well-Known Member

LP's success came from their angst fueled album which attracted many teenagers. Its safe to say their earlier fan base mostly teens. But with each passing album, they seem to be maturing, making songs that would appeal to an older audience. So with each album they are loosing their younger fans (the majority) faster than they can gain new ones (ignoring the die hard fans) so how long will they last? I give it three more albums until they become like Paparoach or Limp bizkit.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I give them one more album before they go on an indefinite hiatus.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

3 more albums 15 more years of touring. Maybe a little optimistic, Idk. I think Chester will lose his voice before they actuallly quite

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Welcome to LPA, I hope you enjoy it here and we thank you for choosing our fansite. With that aside, I hope you don't take offense to the fact that I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with about 90% of your post. The "die-hard" fans haven't been ignored, if anything...the die-hard fans are the ones who are still posting on this forum, and have matured along with Linkin Park and followed them on their musical journey.

You were correct to say that when they began as a band their fanbase was mostly teens; however, those same teenagers are now fans either in (or close to) their 30s with families, who are raising kids and no longer have the same emotional mentality that they did 10 years ago. As much as this may offend some of the nu-metal fans on this board, I honestly could care less if Linkin Park lost some fans with MTM/ATS because it weeded some of the more immature people out of the fanbase. I don't know how many people will agree with me here, but I personally am emotionally mature enough to no longer need lyrics about being angsty, feeling insecure or any other emotions teenagers stereotypically go through from age 13-17. And I'm sure for the guys in Linkin Park, it was the same deal.

In the over 10 years since they've released their first album, they've become wealthy 30-35 year old men with great lives, beautiful wives and wonderful children. Chester himself has kicked his drug habits, found religion and been on a right path for a long time now. Literally none of them are going through the same emotions they were when they began, so there's no need for them to parody themselves and try to recreate a sound that they already perfected 1000 times over on two previous albums. They're just not in that bad place they were anymore, and it's not their job to babysit the fans that never grew up, or never learned to handle their emotions like adults, and thus still need angsty music to answer their problems.

The last part seems harsh, but it's true. If anything, it's thanks to A Thousand Suns that Linkin Park probably wont be going the way of limpbizkit. By refusing to fall into the trap that artists of their same genre did, and refuse to evolve (thus pushing themselves into obscurity), they decided to take command of their future and make music that they're proud to make and music that makes as much of (if not more than) a statement than their debut Hybrid Theory.

Some may have left the band when they evolved. I proudly stayed, and consider this period in the band's career to be their best. If you asked me before MTM came out how much longer Linkin Park were going to last, I would've told you 5-6 years tops. Now with MTM/ATS out there, I can honestly say this band has the power to stay as long as they want.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Being a fan since before Hybrid Theory came out, I stand here as a 28 year old man and say I agree with this. All of this.

And your piece about Papa Roach... They've grown and matured their sound too. They still have a strong fanbase. They are no longer a "Nu-Metal" band. They've evolved into a rock band. Here is your Nu-Metal free version of Papa Roach:

[youtube]UYVBvMXbjVM[/youtube]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

.@derek: my disagreement with you here is that I find lp's old music is still relevant in my life but im not really angsty nor am I looking for angsty music to feel better. That doesn't mean I can't feel the emotion from the old music. I can still enjoy it. You don't have to be angsty and immature to still feel the old records. Idk, maybe its because im still quite a bit younger than you guys.

Hybrid

I sometimes still need them, but not nearly as much as I did. For me, it is great to hear the lyrics that I've bonded with over the years. It's like the lyrics (no pun intended) became a part of me, and it's good to look back on and remember where I came from.

Derek

@Pidgeon: I can still connect to their older music too because I remember the parts of my life where those songs were important to me, I just don't need it on future album's anymore. I'm more than content with an angst-less Linkin Park.

@Hybrid: Yes, Papa Roach is one of the few nu-metal groups aside from LP that actually progressed as a band.

Hybrid

I'm actually still a fan of PRoach's. I am/was part of their Team Explosive Energy Movement. Thier music is fun rock songs now and I can still appreciate them. Limp Bizkit, on the other hand, put out their "Nu" album, and I haven't heard anything since. Perhaps it was ridiculous lyrics or that Nu-Metal sound, but I didn't even make it through one song off of their new album.

lpisbaws

The day ATS was released, the very first thing I did was check out the user reviews of Itunes and I wasnt shocked that most of them had given highly negative reviews. Even today, many kids are introduced into rock music with Hybrid Theory, those kids love Meteora and a few songs from MTM but they cant digest ATS. Is it too complicated for them? Nope, they want something similar sounding. When they dont find anything like it, they move to bands like Hollywood Undead and Skillet who try to imitate the LP sound. You cant blame them, the early Linkin Park was unique, critics struggled to call them nu-metal.

As for the fans growing older, they will move on to other music. Linkin Park has been established as a band for young people, it would almost be embarrassing if they still listened to them in their thirties. Many fans who followed LP through the years are leaving them behind, and the itunes user reviews are proof of that.

I myself loved ATS, it was a well crafted album with some smart lyrics but I didnt listen to it half as much as I listen to MTM. The biggest flaw was that it the songs lacked guitar. Other than that, I dont think they should have released singles if it was meant to be a concept album.

I myself am not sure what I am trying to say to be honest. I just hope that the next album is better received by the earlier fans. Maybe a HT sounding song with some good lyrics will do the trick.

lpisbaws

The new limp bizkit was horrible, it was the same aural diarrhea from the mouth of Fred Durst, only this time, no body cares. As for Papa roach, they are next to dead. Their only fans are the die hards.

Hybrid

Almost 3 million people are fans of theirs with about 66,000 people currently talking about them on Facebook. Yeah, you must be right... They are close to dead with only support of "die hard" fans. :rolleyes:

lpisbaws

i take that back, what i meant to say was that thier fan base has shrunk significantly. having sold about in total with the past 6 albums, time of annihilation barely sold.

anyways lets stick to the main topic.

Derek

See what you're going on with the iTunes/Amazon reviews, is an opinion presented by a vocal minority and not necessary the fans or the general public. It kind of plays in hand with the old idea that people are more likely to tell people when they don't like something, rather than spread the word when they do like something. Think of it this way, if you go to a restaurant and have horrible service, and the worst experience possible...how likely are you to tell everyone how badly it sucked vs if your experience was decent? Same applies to album reviews. What you have is a small collective of fans disenfranchised by the sound change, so they decide to air their greivances on iTunes/Amazon in order to sway people from listening or purchasing the album. Dig a little deeper on those reviews and you'll see there are many fans happy with the album. Half of the bad reviews were a campaign by the ATS Haters FB page to make the album bomb anyways. I wouldn't trust what you see on those online store sites as a fact.

Also, in regards to the "LP being for a younger generation" argument, that's where I bring up a conversation that is happening right now in the Linkin Park vs Radiohead thread. When Radiohead first began as a grunge-rock band, I'm sure they were thought of as a band for the "young adult/teen crowd" and weren't as universally accepted as they are now. Later on when they made their shocking transformation during OKComputer/Kid A, they alienated a big part of their young fanbase, but in trade...gained a lot of new fans who were impressed by the change and decided to give Radiohead a try. Almost a full decade later, they're considered one of the most influential bands of the last 20 years and are listened to by all age groups. My point? Just because a band starts out appealing to a younger age group/demographic, doesn't mean they can't evolve into something greater in time...and that's exactly what LP is doing right now, evolving :).

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Sorry, but this sentence really pissed me off. Why was this the first thing you did. Your opinion is not the same as somebody else.

Also, im a young fan. My favourite album is ATS.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Agreed

Jack_Farrell

Jack_Farrell KTTK is Chester suicide-diving off a cliff naked

2 more albums then poof.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

fixed for ya! :rastamike:

Hybrid

Just wanted to throw out there that record sales are no longer a viable way to gauge a fanbase or if a band is "still relevant." Also, the only person who's opinion matters if you will like something, no matter what it is, is yours.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

Agreed. This is what I was trying to say in my post.