How long will LP last?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lpisbaws, Feb 22, 2012.

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

True besides I don't think Hahn would fit in a bottle. *snickers* Welcome to the land of dazed and confussed Elaine!

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

As long as they're healthy I would say.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

The problem is, I don't think Linkin Park really care whether or not they sell 10 million records anymore. The record industry has changed significantly, and it's impossible for an album to go diamond anymore (even if it's straight pop) because nobody wants to pay 10-20 dollars for an overpriced CD anymore. Katy Perry who's music literally is made for mass consumption and who has had 6 #1's, only has sold 2-3 million in the states. So a band like Linkin Park that aren't even pop nowadays, really don't have much of a chance of selling big records anymore. They've already sold more than 50 million albums worldwide, and I think they're more focused now on just making the music *they* wish to make.

Vdalem

I always believed that as long as a band have even a handful of fans, they will stick around forever! Notice how many bands that is still around even after 30 years!

19nacho19

19nacho19 Banned

Music is not for any age, music is not for any mindset, music is not "for" anything, music is an unique way of art that must be received by the listener at the most open state of mind as possible and let it flow like if it would be the air you breath.
    I hope when you read this you stop thinking too many shits that stop you from enjoying the music covering it with prejudices.
    ;)

Ps: And for the stupid question "how long you think lp will last?", I think the right answer is:

:WTF: Asshole!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    Geki

Geki >.

LP will last until 2087.

soun'wave

soun'wave can't shake the shock

I think really broadened their sonic soundscape from what I was expecting, which has really opened up endless new paths to take future albums down (similiar to the Radiohead approach with Kid A) the unpredictability of what the next album/song might sound like, and the wide range of genre infusements further cements this. In the internet age its easier for bands to thrive without the backing of a record label, and I think what LP does best is really give back to their fans which is exchanged for loyalty. So I suppose the answer is really that the band are in the driving seat, and could keep releasing albums for a very long time, but I don't think they'll die and disappear, like alot of bands before them

cradle

cradle Foreword LPA VIP

No one can tell. The future is never written !

Vdalem

True but we love to wonder alot about them! :awesome:

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

LP will last until I die. Then they can fall apart. I will not care then.

Derek

BREAKING NEWS: Linkin Park breaks up after fan dies due to freak accident involving ice cream truck.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

[video=youtube;SXeTxrZT3Qc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXeTxrZT3Qc[/video]

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

How many albums are left for LP in their contract with Warner? AFAIK, usually, when big label contracts of mainstream bands expire, they go into hiatus or just break up.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

lol I hope that's not how I'll die :D

Knt.Slbs

Knt.Slbs Well-Known Member

maybe it depends on what Label they are connected, there are some label offers 6 album deal or 8 album deal... after the contract, it depends to the band whether they go in hiatus or find another label.. i think if you're signed to another label, you're musical approach might change..

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I have only seen this happen once and then band got back together after a couple years so I really don't see this happening, especially with a group of guys who are basically all best friends. I think they would be better off independent. Mike and brad ran machine shop so they know the business side and they really don't need the promotional help anymore. Musically it wouldn't really make a difference cause I think warner has basically let them off the leash at this point

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I agree with Pidgeon here, if LP doesn't get another offer from Warner after their deal is done or they don't sign that deal, they'll be just as well off independent. I don't think they ever will go independent, even after Chester's speech at the end of Meeting of A Thousand Suns, but the band will stay successful with whatever they choose as the best career opportunity. If you leave the big label, however, they forgo many prime opportunities like playing those shows at Red Square or the Observatory.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'd like to know this too if anyone has the information

Derek

From our Wiki: http://wiki.lpassociation.com/index.php/Warner_Bros._Records

All the information needed. WB have Linkin Park signed on for a LONG time. Prior to Minutes they had 4 albums left. So even by that standard, they would've owed at least two more after ATS. However; they've since signed a new contract and thus probably are on the hook for at least 4-5 more. It's going to be a while.

*EDIT*: "But the separation was a short one. Less than eight months later, Linkin Park and Warner Bros. reached an agreement that furnished an estimated $15 million advance for "Minutes to Midnight" and gave the label an option for up to five more Linkin Park records. Sources say the band's royalty rate was also raised to an estimated 20%, a high number as such things go."

http://atrl.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-44354.html

That would be 5 more after MTM, and the good news is that live albums and remix discs usually count as releases. So with RTR and ATS, theoretically Linkin Park only have to release 3 more records (studio/remix/live) and they can be out of contract if need be.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

I honestly don't know why they signed a new deal. I mean from what I've heard warner like a lot of other big record companies) haven't been all the great to band. I mean there was the whole YouTube fiasco and I feel like there have been other things

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012