Linkin Park v Radiohead

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minus, Feb 6, 2012.

?

Linkin Park v Radiohead

1. Linkin Park

79.4%
  2. Radiohead

20.6%
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Haha you're a joke, seriously. Calling Loveless (by My Bloody Valentine if you can't use google) a "lesser-known non-mainstream obscure album" doesn't put you on a high horse of non-elitism or whatever. We're talking about an album that was on the ROLLING STONE's 500 best albums of all time list. We're talking about an album that has a "legacy" section on wikipedia. We're talking about an album that is on every best of the 90s list there is. We're talking about an album that has been praised by Brian Eno, Robert Smith, Billy Corgan and Trent Reznor.

I'm reading this straight from wikipedia just so you know, I don't remember weird facts about albums.

I think you're getting the words "superior" and "notfuckingignorant" mixed up.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Oi vey. I'm very close to just closing this thread. Granted there has been some good discussion in here, but there's also been a lot of negativity and accusations of elitism being thrown around which is making this thread go into a tailspin rather quickly. Not only that, this thread was originally created to make fun of someone else (something I thought was wrong in itself and only inciting an argument) and is now pretty much responsible for unleashing one of the worst trolls we've ever had on these forums. After all, as it was through the user "somebody" calling Minus a faggot, that lead to me checking his IP, finding out he was ameenshake, banning him, which pissed him off and lead to him coming back close to 30 times.

So in all honestly I'm running out of good reasons to keep this thread open. I would suggest people stop calling each other elitist and making snide comments towards each other, because despite the good conversation going on in here, if this persists..the thread is getting closed. Knock it off. All of you.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Oi but derek you just got out your popcorn.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Yeah, but you'd have to agree that Radiohead probably had a much more direct impact on the mainstream than a band like MBV. And when I say "direct," I mean that, yeah, Radiohead probably get a lot of credit for doing things that they weren't the first to do, but they're the ones who made a lot of people aware of those things. It's not unusual, really, and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. The band members themselves are usually the first to criticize a lot of the hero worship they get, which is pretty humble coming from a band that has such an unjust reputation. (And, yes, I know you weren't really criticizing the band for any of that. I just felt like addressing it.)

So yeah, I'm not really a fan of some of the comical adulation Radiohead receives, either.

Edit: Sorry if some of this isn't very clear. I'm in a bit of a rush right now.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

As a sarcastic observation of how people are getting their knickers in a bunch over absolutely nothing. It's a band for god's sake. It's not like a debate on religion, politics, or human rights. As a moderator on these forums for 10 years, I will never understand why people get so emotional over the tiniest things.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Btw, I was wrong about Loveless and OK Computer being released in the same year (actually six years apart lol), but I guess the two are still comparable in being two of the more critically revered albums of the 90s. As far as Radiohead having more of an impact on the mainstream I don't know if I can exactly agree. Loveless influenced albums like Boards of Canada's Music Has The Right To Children (fairly well documented) and Daft Punk's Discovery (gonna have to trust me on this one as I can't really find where I read this, but a lot of the weirder guitar synths at least sound loveless-influenced) that went on to be incredibly influential on the mainstream, and Loveless definitely represented a shift in music where instruments started to sound a lot different than their natural sound.

I guess you can't exactly credit Loveless for creating overuse of reverb on vocals or turning guitars into swirling electronic instruments, but similar to what you said with Radiohead, MBV were pretty much the first band to bring that kind of experimentation to a wider audience - probably because their songs followed pop structures.

With that said, in 2012, how many singles have sounds that aren't heavily altered by effects? I also have to state that Radiohead were most certainly influenced by MBV.

Derek: Music is waaaay more serious to me than politics and religion.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Can I just say that like floyd, radiohead has been at it longer than lp. Lp could get there level. Let's bring this back up in 7 years

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

And just imagine, people have gone to war and executed heinous acts of suicide over politics and religion. Be care talking about music 'round here, folks!

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sorry, Derek.

No, but posting a second time to incite a reaction after you've made your point clear the first is sad.
    Not being elitist? Nothing as non-elitist as coming to a thread just to say both bands are terrible. And then doing it again. I'm glad to see you at least realize it's a sweeping generalization you're making there. Radiohead fans on the forums I frequent are generally more open-minded and knowledgeable about music than the average music fan.

And as for Loveless being a more influential album than OKC, I seriously doubt that. All those accolades you listed, OKC rated higher on and it definitely sold a fuckton more (likes 20 times more) than Loveless, influencing a lot more musicians. Not only do countless famous musicians cite it as their influence, but it directly changed the face of British music and had a sizeable influence on prog. And this is not even considering Kid A.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    Troll

Troll New Member

Oh chubby child o' mine, this is exactly the reason I was led to calling that guy a "faggot". I was being a good boy and all but sometime bitches ain't nuthin' but hoes and tricks.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Thanks for backing up my opinion, I do believe people should take politics and religion less seriously to avoid war and suicide. Remember that time you were wrong in a thread twice?

Shadey: I don't rate "average music fans" very highly on the knowledgeable scale. Loveless wasn't a commercial success when it came out, like OK Computer was, so the sales difference isn't really respective of how many people have actually heard it. I'd argue that most/all semi-popular musicians have heard both Loveless and OK Computer. I could pretty easily say that Loveless was pretty influential on British music, and maybe not prog (in all honesty, i consider that genre fairly stagnant not too far after OK Computer), but Loveless had a massive influence on shoegaze, ambient, drone, dream pop, chillwave and witch house more recently, post-rock (OK Computer probably influenced that one a bit too I suppose), edm/idm, post-black metal and lots more really specific genres. Lots of musicians praise OK Computer yes, but I don't really think OK Computer changed HOW musicians made music as much as Loveless did.

I'm not interested in continuing to talk to you about what is "sad", but if you think my comment about Radiohead fans was to incite a reaction anymore then "imagine if i posted this on a radiohead forum!" was, then I'd disagree.

op4blushift

op4blushift Well-Known Member

^ I'm pretty sure OK Computer did change how musicians made music, probably more so then Loveless. I mean it killed brit-pop and quite a few bands started trying to imitate it (E.g Coldplay, Muse, Travis blah blah). I will admit I don't know much if anything about the impact of Loveless, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

@Jordan: My point stands. While Radiohead fans consider the band to be innovative and greatly influential (which can both be backed up), that doesn't stop them from listening to a wide variety of music, old and new. In fact, fans on forums are usually big enough fans to realize the history and influences of the band (as with this forum); I doubt you could find a fan on the forums who hadn't checked out or at least know anything about any of their influences e.g. Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, Aphex Twin, Pixies, Talking Heads, etc. It's true Loveless had a resurgence in popularity after release, but the huge difference in sales from the start makes it hard to buy Loveless could be anywhere near as well known; if you're a serious musician, you will likely have heard of Loveless, but I'm sure you'll have heard OK Computer way before that. It's not like interest in Radiohead has been declining either because, if anything, their fanbase has only grown since OK Computer (i.e. the success of In Rainbows). And it's not just praise, countless musicians/artists from a variety of genre have cited Radiohead as an influence to their music.

And the difference is that my comment was tongue-in-cheek reflecting LP's negative reputation in the music world (even though I'm obviously a fan) while yours was inciteful as it served only to bash a band you know users in the thread liked.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I'm passed caring about Radiohead fans by now, I guess I was probably wrong to assume that hardcore fans wouldn't be aware of their influences.

However, you're still incredibly understating Loveless' influence, and I really don't know what else to say to convince you. Someone wrote a thesis on their influence, but apparently it's pretty badly written (I haven't read it) - http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-04102006-103749/. Other than that, in 2012, if you're getting into music, you're probably checking things like last.fm, rym, pitchfork, /mu/, what.cd if you're connected - and Loveless is kind of hard to miss. I first heard Loveless when I was 14, and while I was fairly internet-savvy then already, I didn't exactly know what music I was looking for.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

its basically "my favourite band can beat your favourite band" here now :awesome:

19nacho19

19nacho19 Banned

:WTF:Too much discussion here... the music can't be compared, even if there are more than 1 band in the place we live..., the music is one..., you can't divide it by names..., just enjoy it or stop it when you play it..., so play what you want and shut up!;)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I haven't seen that many periods since the night I synchronized all your mothers' periods due to the length of that orgy.

Afterwards, we watched There Will Be Blood.

op4blushift

op4blushift Well-Known Member

OK Computer was still more influential then Loveless, the fact that it sold more and appeared higher on practically all the lists that you mentioned before more then proves that (as Shadey has already pointed out). Just take a look at the legacy section on wikipedia about it if you want more proof. I'm not trying to say that Loveless was not influential or anything, but I think its pretty clear which album influenced people more (or more people).

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Selling more proves that more people listen to it, being higher on lists proves that critics liked it more - that "more than proves" nothing relevant. I'm not going out of my way to read a band I don't like's legacy section: can't you guys just tell me what it influenced other than a couple prog rock albums, Coldplay and Muse (who both then had zero influence on anything important)?

20. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

That's such a subjective claim though. People had been using effects on instruments long before this album Loveless (that I admittedly know nothing about) came out. "Instruments started to sound a lot different" doesn't exactly hold up as a good argument as to why the album was a game changer.