Linkin Park v Radiohead

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Minus, Feb 6, 2012.

?

Linkin Park v Radiohead

1. Linkin Park

79.4%
  2. Radiohead

20.6%
    fierceblueshaaa

fierceblueshaaa Banned

i beg to disagree, the Yorke guy is the only talent in the group and thats just because he is such a douche. He is always try to do something "new" and he often crosses the line from creativity to insanity. Dont believe me? Listen to their latest album and watch the music videos.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I beg to agree that you're a moron and need to stop creating new accounts after you've been banned, accept you're not welcome here, stop harassing us or else we'll be reporting you to your ISP. Enough is enough, you've now had 15+ accounts we've banned, and you cant get it through your head that you aren't welcome here. Go find some other forums to annoy, we don't care about you OR your opinions.

To anyone not familiar, this jerk was banned years ago for being a troll/disrespecting other members and has recently started re-registering to annoy us and try to fight his case as to why he should stay on these boards. He fails to realize that as a privately owned forum we reserve the right to not allow him to post here.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Paranoid Android was the most horrible song I have ever listened to. And I can listen to some pretty nasty shit at times.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

If any of you ever even made a single attempt to listen to the entire discography of Radiohead, more than once, you would realize that there is no debate and that Radiohead has not only made music of an infinitely higher quality, but has also been perhaps one of the single most innovative and influential bands of our generation. I've heard the terms whiny thrown around, I've heard people say that "Paranoid Android" is a piece of shit, but you know what?

I love Linkin Park, but if you want to tell me about music that's whiny, listen to Linkin Park's first two albums. They're good albums, if you're an emotional adolescent. Radiohead's music pertains to topics that are of a much more in-depth nature than anything else. If any of you even dared to really look into The King of Limbs, Radiohead's most recent effort, you'd see that what they write about is very significant, ranging from environmental consciousness to our shocking dependence on transportation and technology.

The fact that there has been zero decent chatter about giving Radiohead any credit for what they've done shows that very few of you have any place to talk about which band is actually better. Like I said, if you really listened to anything from Radiohead, even one album like In Rainbows or OK Computer, your opinion would be quite different.

This is a difficult place to compare the two bands, simply because of the fact that this is a Linkin Park forum and that there's bias that exists here, so of course not many of you are going to side with Radiohead. But let me ask you this, why was everyone comparing A Thousand Suns to Kid A?

It's an interesting notion, because no one who compared the two said anything about A Thousand Suns being a better album. It was the innovative shift that caught everyone, just as Kid A did. There's something significant about trying to compare Linkin Park to Radiohead. Why would anyone compare them? Because you're comparing a band with potential (Linkin Park) to a band that has gone above and beyond what anyone ever expected and still has a huge, 10x more committed and 100x less fickle fan base (Radiohead). It does good to Linkin Park to be compared to Radiohead.

But the comparisons stop there, because Radiohead does more. They use more sounds. They were one of the first to truly master electronic and rock elements into stable sounds. Some of the methods they use to make songs are incredible. Take for example off of their album Amnesiac, the song "Like Spinning Plates":

Obviously, when you listen to the song straight through, you'll notice that while he sings, something is a bit off. There are weird effects on his vocals, but those aren't after-effects. Listen to it. His voice is backwards, but he's singing forwards. How? Well, he sung it forwards. Reversed it. Memorized how to sing it backwards. Sung it. And reversed it again. Think about that. Has Linkin Park done anything quite so innovative within one song? The answer is no. Linkin Park doesn't have that sort of capacity yet.

Even better, listen to "I Will" off of Hail to the Thief, and put that song in reverse. It might sound familiar, because that's the chord progression of "Like Spinning Plates." Yep, two songs on different albums, same progression, just reversed. There is a time connection there, and it's brilliant. And you'd only notice it if you really took the time to somehow pick these two songs and listen carefully. This is Radiohead being efficiently creative.

Want something even more significant? Radiohead released OK Computer in 1997, and In Rainbow in 2007. Speculation surrounded the significance of the number 10 with the release of the latter, because they were ten years apart, released artwork that used X (the roman numeral for 10), and when you look at the album cover, you can see what looks like a 10 singled out twice. If you take the tracks off each album, alternate starting with "Airbag" and leave "Karma Police" and "Fitter Happier" next to each other, and then put a 10 second crossfade between them, you'll see that the songs go together. Linkin Park hardly has the capacity to do something this brilliant. When Radiohead was asked if they did this intentionally, their response was, "It took you this long to figure it out?"

Of course, it's hard to appreciate these things just reading them, but Radiohead is fucking brilliant. You listen to their albums and it's like you're listening to 6-7 different bands. You don't get that with Linkin Park. You just don't. Radiohead is hard to get into, truthfully, but you need to give them more of a chance than one listen.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I impulsively bought "OK Computer" early last year, and that was my first time giving Radiohead a serious listen ... and it blew me away. I was seriously, like, "I can't believe music this good even exists" - not merely because I thought it was a near-flawless album chock-full of interesting musical ideas, but also because, right then, it became clear to me how big an influence that album alone had had on good British alternative rock since its release

Aside from that, I've given songs off their other albums cursory listens but I haven't been very eager to check them out ;" and I won't really say one band is "better" than the other when I can't even compare the way I respond to each band's music.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    op4blushift

op4blushift Well-Known Member

You have got to be kidding me..

And I agree with absolutely everything Louis has said, Radiohead is just a much better band then LP.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

+1, although I still will always Love LP more, you can't deny RH is a more creative band. just like Pink Floyd is. You can't compare them to LP its just not fair :lol:

The only band that I can think of that rivals RH in technical brilliance & creativity is perhaps TOOL. Obviously they haven't stepped out of their industrial/prog metal roots much, but their innovation and skill is just as impressive.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Oh boy, if I linked this thread in a Radiohead forum (or pretty much most other music forums), they would have a collective aneurysm. :lol:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I almost did. :lol:

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Radiohead forums don't deserve to be elitist.

Derek

Radiohead as a band are better at experimentation/going unexpected directions, whereas Linkin Park are better songwriters (in the sense of making singles/catchy songs). That's my view.

I *would* like to see Linkin Park eventually become as comfortable as Radiohead are in their own skin. I still sense sometimes that this band is afraid to go off the deep end and go super experimental. ATS was very close to that, but the band hasn't completely "let go" yet. I'd love to see that from them on a future CD.

op4blushift

op4blushift Well-Known Member

Haha I almost considered linking this on Atease just to see what sort of responses I would get.

And to Derek, making catchy simple songs doesn't really mean good songs in my book. I mean, look at HT and songs like In The End and Crawling etc. They were absolutely great when I first heard them but I practically hate the songs now. And Radiohead are more then capable of those types of songs as evidenced by Creep. But yeah, I hope that LP really "lets go" as you said.

Derek

I do think it's tough to make a catchy pop song that's actually "good" and experimental though. I think it's part of why I consider Waiting For The End to be one of their most genius songs in recent memory. It's the band taking a very basic song structure (some may even consider it "classic Linkin Park") but reinventing the wheel and adding Beatles influences to it to the fact it sounds alien when compared to thier first album.

I remember hearing that song and thinking of how much of a departure it was from their older stuff, only to realize later that it was an old Linkin Park song structure. They hid it brilliantly and I feel WFTE is a good example of the "old meets new" philosophy the band was talking about.

But yes you're right, catchy doesn't always mean "good" as some radio hits suggest nowadays. I just think Linkin Park need to throw their pop sensibilities out the window for a record and just fuck with everyone's heads. ATS was a very good mindfuck, I wouldn't mind a similar mindfuck on the new CD. LP have been compared to Radiohead because much like Radiohead they started out as a rock band, but over time have become a creative force in rock music. Are they Radiohead level creativity yet? No, but lets hope in time they will be.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

As opposed to your favourite band, right? We got the point with your first post, thanks. And really, being music elitist on a Linkin Park forum? That is kinda sad.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
    Derek

This is gonna get good.

[​IMG]

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Someone screen cap Derek taunting an argument for the next time he gets mad at something getting out of hand.

It's a fact that typing a six word post isn't sad, so you'll need to try harder to offend me.

I was never being an elitist either, at least not in this thread. I don't rate Radiohead as a band, and I don't think they should be able to laugh at Linkin Park fans enjoying their band more, seeing as most Radiohead fans are just as new to music, and think they're "revolutionary" without being able to pick out what their influences were.

A generalisation probably, but I probably won't believe you if you tell me that's NOT what you circlejerk about over there.

Derek

Except I'm not taunting an argument, sir. I'm laughing at how offended people some are getting in this thread, when the thread itself was created to troll a troll. You talk to me about getting mad something is out of hand? The thread is already going that way without my help. People need to learn to stop getting so up in arms when their favorite band gets insulted. I'm a Linkin Park fan, you think I haven't heard over the years how much Linkin Park apparently suck, and how much of a loser I am for being into them? The fact is: I don't care. I like the music I like and I could really give a fuck or two whether or not people support the band I'm into. The same should apply here.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Sorry, I interpreted your post wrong apparently.

Also lol@Louis' post. Thom Yorke sang backwards, the only history book that's going down in is the history of masturbation. Almost as bad as Tool fans thinking using the Fibonacci sequence in a song was anything more than overly nerdy.

Weirds me out so much how people think OK Computer was game changing, even though it came out the same year as Loveless, an album where all of the instruments sounded nothing like how they'd sounded before, and still managed to be a pop record.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    Derek

I don't know if it's fair to call Radiohead game changers (when they were far from being the first to try some of the ideas they've done on record), but I do believe Radiohead approach music in an unconventional way which is why people respect them and hold them in such high regard. It's the atmosphere and extra thought that Radiohead puts into their songs, and their interesting/unconventional approach to music and song structure that make them so respectable (even though I have trouble getting into them personally).

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Not everyone has the vast knowledge of lesser-known non-mainstream obscure albums that you have, apparently. You must teach us your ways as you are obviously superior in that aspect.