"It's a Good Mix of Old and New" Linkin Park Talk New Album in Kerrang!

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    lpeinstein

lpeinstein Active Member

I think we're jumping the gun here a bit on how they are going to meld the new and old. Obviously we have no idea what that exactly means but take for example what their new sound and internal dialog/personalized lyrics may mean. I HIGHLY doubt we're ever going to get another "one step closer to the edge" brand of lyrics again as a whole album. Personal lyrics don't always have to be angst-ridden to be powerful. Trials through drugs, marriage and children etc. have no doubt had an effect on all of them during the 13 years since HT. If there's one thing I've seen (and most of us have) is that these guys are introspective to what they are trying to do, musically and otherwise, even if it's vague before the album drops. There are very few 'artists' out there that I'll buy into over and over again, the Chris Nolans, Stephen Kings and among them I place LP personally. They've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Shadester

Shadester (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

And here I thought LP had shook off their numetalhead fans with the last two albums. That, or the fans had grown up. Guess not.

Nicotine

Nicotine Banned

They're all as bad as each other.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    hybrid.theory7

hybrid.theory7 Well-Known Member

LPA is the only place in the world where its a crime if you like Hybrid theory.Hybrid theory means a lot to many people like me,its helped us when we were down.ATS is nothing but mike crying and chester soundling like hes praying,brad donated his distortion pedals.

Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

No, HT did not help me at all. It was my will that help me stand on my feet and dare to against any teen problems at that time. I like LP because of MTM, it surprised me because I can't believe LP can sound like that, after the disappointment created by Meteora.

HT might help you at that time, but right now you still need it? You can't stand on your own feet? By yourself? Then you are pathetic.

Nicotine

Nicotine Banned

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLIIIIIIIIIN IN MEH SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKN
    DEEZ WOOOOZ THAY WILL NAW EEYORE

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Listen, I don't give a fuck what anyone else likes in terms of music, because it's their opinion and their preference. It's not a crime to like HT or MT (though imo it should be a crime to like such a shit album #MeteroasucksIMO) but it's also not a crime to think that Linkin Park would be regressing if they went back in any way to their old sound.

I. do. not. want. it. to. happen.

Can I control it? No?
    Will I like it if it does? Probably not.
    Is there a chance I MIGHT Like it? There's a chance that I will get hit by an meteorite tomorrow, so I'd say yes, albeit it's a very small one.

Bottom line, people have opinions and it's immature to resort to attacks and pettiness because of it.

CCtjehh

CCtjehh Because we love them

This article really makes me happy.
    A mix of old and new... I like that. :)

Henry

Henry Mochiagete, Tokihanashite.

It sucks that maturity does not grow with our body. :(

Bahh, new single fast.

colinreid

colinreid Well-Known Member

I'm still sticking to 2012 as there release date

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

IMO, mixing new and old can literally mean anything. This might not manifest in how it appears in your head. And i'd additionally bet that what appears in people's head is different in each person. For example, I sat back and thought about the original meaning behind the term "Hybrid Theory" and remembered that it was about finding cool sounds from different genres and bridging the gap musically and culturally between them. In a way, A Thousand Suns was perfectly in line with Hybrid Theory's original philosophy. A lot of people just take the most simplistic interpretation of this as possible and think it's all about the RAAAAAAAAWR!!!!!!!!.

However, this interview does appear to bring one piece of information that I will interpret as good news: less focus on "old"ness verses "new"ness , and more on music that they like. At the end of the day, I rather not have LP censor themselves for some arbitrary reason and just write what the hell they want to write. Throwing away decent music because they've done it before did provide them with a challenge in their eyes, but I bet this does deny the world some fantastic music.

EDIT: hehe 888th post

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

The album is social without political.
    This album is called Facebook.

:trollface:

Gitsnik

Gitsnik WAAAGH!!! Über Member

Pretty excited about this. :)

Dara

Dara Well-Known Member

Exactly. One of the best quotes iv'e ever read in LPA. To me it was a good news that they want to make a bit of their old stuff (that I love without fearing some M2M fans) again. I had lost my hope about LP because I saw that not only they weren't walking in their original path, but the music they were making was quite pathetic. My friends laugh at me as a Linkin Park fan because of the new songs they make. In the past 5 years this was the only good news from LP after "New Divide".

steve12

steve12 Well-Known Member

Why is it that I trust Phoenix more on this than Mike? Saying it's like "nothing they've done before". If Mike is honest here, he probably means a mix of heavy and soft, that's how I interpret it anyway. I really can't see them going back to Nu Metal, but what do I know?

Nicotine

Nicotine Banned

m8

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I'm undecided as to whether or not I feel a "mix of new and old" would be "regressing". I'd personally love to see the band create something "heavy" that doesn't resemble something from "Meteora" and I believe they're at a point where they can do that. I have zero concerns about lyrical content after "A Thousand Suns". :)

TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

To me, the difference between "old" and "new" LP are heavy guitars and song structures.
    It would be cool if they made some heavier songs without some radio-structure (verse/chorus)...

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

I'm taking everything he said with a grain of salt.

But I do like the idea of writing more personal songs.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

...why? I don't get why there's about three people pissed at Casey in this thread. He was only stating his opinion, which to be honest, was simply saying he doesn't want old style Linkin Park lyrics. No need to try and bait him into something when he wasn't even talking to you, A Wretched King. He walked away after hybrid.theory7 chimed in his nonsensical ramblings of A Thousand suns.

It's crazy how uncivil people can be over such a little snippet in an article. I mean, people are seriously calling people names and shit because Mike said something about the new album containing elements of old and new... at the time of this interview? Haha, should have known that any mention of the old sound would bring back this "old" vs "new" mentality, which is actually the worst labels ever because there's no such thing, just Linkin Park developing with each album, which I'm sure will continue with this one.

Mixing two things that already exist creates something entirely different and at the end of the day, whatever it is, it's going to be new Linkin Park music. Judging if you're going to like it on one random quote from Mike (which could have come at any time before print) really isn't the best basis for an opinion. Just take it with a grain of salt. No need for everyone to start arguing about what they want the album to sound like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.