Phoenix held a video chat with LPU members today. Check out some of the highlights below.
• When’s the next single coming out? They’re working hard and have made good progress, new single will be out sooner than possible.
• Regarding the European tour, they are meeting next week to look at schedule. They will probably play at the usual places they’ve already played before but maybe some new places too.
• They will definitely be touring the US
• Mike is one of his favorite people to do pranks with on tour.
• LP do not have a Greatest Hits album.
• He likes Avenged Sevenfold a lot, surprised he hasn’t toured with them yet. He bumps into them in Southern California now and then.
• He was doing the video chat from his home studio in Southern California
• What’s the new sound/new album like? LP are still working on it and it’s coming together. The album can still take off in all different directions so to speak as though they are done wouldn’t mean anything.
• They are pushing themselves with creative song writing and it’s different from things they’ve done in the past.
• His favorite European soccer team is Manchester United. He watched lot of soccer matches when he was growing up. He had the chance to watch Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea play in London.
• He loves LA Galaxy too.
• What’s his favorite rock/metal band and bass player? Aside from metallica he likes Anthrax.
• Favorite Bass player - His style does not lend itself to the metal genre. He’s kind of a converted guitarist. He was classical trained on violin and he isn’t necessarily a technical player. He likes stuff like Paul McCartney and Adam from U2’s playing style. Maybe it’s because he isn’t technical enough to do ripping solos.
• Will they play Robot Boy live? He hopes so as that would be a fun challenge, there’s a lot going on vocally as Phoenix and Joe would have to sing harmonies with Mike and Chester. Would be fun to play live.
• Can we expect heavier sound? He doesn’t know, he feels questions like that are determined by people’s taste. If heavy means distorted guitar then the answer is probably no. If heavy means aggressive vocals then yes, maybe. He doesn’t know how to answer that.
• “Tell us about Rob?” Rob’s a drummer and a nice guy. He has dry sense of humor and is quiet. He is a deep thinker. “Rob’s awesome”
• Songs written so far. He doesn’t know total tally but maybe 40-50, they are focused on maybe 15-20. They are still writing new ideas. They are finessing those 15-20, some are almost finished. They’re excited about those.
• No plans to release the Live in Red Square show. It turned out to be a special and cool performance. He said you can just watch online.
• Any chance of Tasty Snax reunion? Mark Fiore is so bogged down that it squashes the chance of a reunion. He tells fans to get in touch with Mark. (He’s kidding)
• He spends time on tour playing shows, travelling, eating here and there, works out and plays golf.
• He talked about the TV show “The Bachelor” and says “the drama that unfolds is captivating.”
• He had a crazy illness during the Bangkok, Thailand show. Maybe he drank bad water or got a bug, he was sick for two days. They got his tech, Ted, to fill in for him instead of cancelling the show. He said Ted is a great guy and did an awesome job. Hopefully he will be back to Bangkok soon and he hopes people at the show were excited to see something rare like that happen.
• Why the name Phoenix? It’s just a bad nickname from the Ben Stiller movie “Mystery Men”, from the scene when Ben Stiller is trying to impress a girl and looks like an idiot. The nickname Phoenix just stuck.
• He doesn’t really care about fakes on Twitter. Most people on Twitter know what’s going on anyway.
• They do have fan involved projects such as Music For Relief.
• Injuries he has sustained from live shows include sprained ankle in the Live In Texas show, he found it weird that it was included in the DVD. Chester has hurt himself badly and broken his wrist in Australia. To Chester’s credit, he finished the set.
• Difference between European and American fans? He said, “Aside from geographical location? That was a terrible joke”. In general there are differences and similarities. Reaction to live music, US fans tend to squash up at the front like a pit or moshing area. European fans jump up n down rather than side to side. Fans all over world are awesome and supportive.
• His relationship with Siri is not good. He’ll spare us a demo. Siri doesn’t understand him and doesn’t like to answer in any type of helpful manner.
• What does he think of Hybrid Theory times? HT is fun, it’s like a snapshot of where he was at. He still loves that record, he still enjoys playing those songs live.
• He doesn’t mediate regularly. He stretches and exercises. Music is a form of meditation. Reading can also be meditative.
• He enjoyed A Thousand Suns.
• He wonders if he can outlast the LPU chat fans by just sitting there for hours on end.
• Is the new album more experimental than ATS? He honestly wishes he could answer the questions but they are still working on the album. He will try and give info. There are elements that are more experimental than ATS like the writing process and structure. He doesn’t see this record as tied in with ATS or directly related to ATS. It’s a different direction to ATS.
• Not easily comparable to ATS so far. He’s excited as there are aspects that he’s eagerly expectant to see how they turn out. Excited about people hearing it and fans giving feedback
• Will they play Somewhere I belong or From The Inside? They try blending in old stuff. They played FTI last tour so will definitely sprinkle old songs in. Especially those two songs.
• When they want to play songs live there’s like a tug between radio songs VS rare songs VS new songs. They’re trying to find a way to keep it fresh and create a good blend. It’s a balancing act and they put thought into making it best they can.
• He is currently reading the Game of Thrones series and said it’s well written and compelling to read. Also, “Golf is a great book.”
• Why did LP only play two shows in Canada? He said he is half Canadian and he would love to play in Canada more. LP needs to tour more in Canada. Hopefully on the next touring cycle it works out.
• Do you change creative or brainstorming process in each album? Yes, each record process is always different, the process in this record is that they never actually left the studio after ATS, they never left that creative mode, they have been writing nonstop so there’s an organic movement in the ideas that were coming into the studio and being written. They have more time for discussions about writing.
• He loves the screen name “Shinoda Dork” and says that it might actually be Mike in the chat.
• Favorite UFC fighter? Anderson Silva fan..
• Has any member walked out of the studio? Yeah, there are six guys so they have their moments. One thing that’s nice is that they have been together a long time and grow together as a family. Luckily the six of them are really close and that makes what they do easier. They respect one another and each other’s opinions.
• He expected the chat to be chaotic but is pleasantly surprised.
• There might be violins on the new album. They are talking about orchestration so maybe they will include violin or cello.
• He loves cats. Where he lives he can’t have pet cats because they’ll get eaten outside. He doesn’t like seeing cats on the internet though, like on Instagram or Youtube, his wish for 2012 is for that to go away.
• He is excited about
2. Working on record, he can’t tell us when it will be released as it’s not done yet. They are putting time into getting it out asap.
3. Touring soon, look out for tour dates on linkinpark.com
4. LPU is awesome
5. Adam from the LPU is awesome.