LPA Monthly Mix-Up October Winner

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

October's Monthly Mix-Up proved to be one of our most diverse and creative months in terms of overall entries. By giving Linkin Park fans the challenge of converting Linkin Park's hard rock stadium anthems into heart-pounding dance pop tracks, musicians were forced to take Linkin Park's music in an unconventional direction, with many experimenting with this style of music for the first time ever. While some found the genre too difficult to participate, we managed to get quite a few amazing entries and we're very encouraged by the amount of diversity shown by participants in our October challenge, which proved to be one hard month to judge. However; without further ado we would like to name October's Official Winners (and Runners Up!):

Winner:

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN
    m_macdonald - "Given Up"

Many positive things can be said about m_macdonald's absolutely incredible re-imagining of Linkin Park's "Given Up". By creating a fresh new sound for Given Up, and through completely re-inventing some melodies in the song, Mac created a track that's not just "winning entry" good, but good enough to be considered one of our favorite entries in the LPA Monthly Mix-Up series thus far. Featuring intricate layers, new vocal harmonies, synth lines and strings, and superb mixing, Mac's remix is a creature of beauty. Not only did he adhere perfectly to the genre, but he also scores kudos for remixing a very unexpected song, instantly proving that Given Up can exist as more than just a hard rock track.

Runners Up:

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN
    Blackdonut - "Blackout"

With a wondefully chaotic buildup that eventually segues into a nice club beat, Blackdonut's re-interpretation of "Blackout" (which also features demo lyrics in parts of the song) gives the A Thousand Suns favorite a great dance-pop feel, making it easy to imagine this song blaring on the dance floor. This track won high praise by our forum members, and even a stamp of approval from our August winner "Best Asian Ever".

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN
    Jason39 - "Burning In The Skies"

All of us on staff really appreciated the creative liberties that Jason39 took with his remix of "Burning In The Skies". Originally created just as an instrumental, Jason39 reworked his instrumental into a full remix, creating an entry that is as atmospheric as it is catchy. Great job Jason!

Special Mention:

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN
    Glen Orpheus - "Waiting For The End (Downright Nasty Remix)"

We simply could not finish this post without taking the time to feature and comment on Glen Orpheus' highly unique and creative re-imagining of Linkin Park's "Waiting For The End". Featuring highly synthesized vocals, over breakbeat drums with a dirty bassline, Glen Orpheus' remix not only showed immense skill, but a creative spark and imagination that we felt worthy of showcasing on our front page. Ultimately, because of it's Drum N' Bass feel, we felt it did not match the theme enough to be considered (although it was still dance worthy!) so a special mention was in order. Hopefully this isn't the last we've heard of Glen Orpheus, as we'd love to hear what he brings to the table in future months!

Stay tuned within the next hour or so, as we officially launch next month's contest, as we will be putting all of your skills on a collision course to greatness!

danielpsoad-09

danielpsoad-09 Well-Known Member

That Given Up mix is fantastic!! Congrats to the winner ;)

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Mash-up!

Jake

Jake Give me reason

How the f.... did I miss that Given Up entry?
    m_macdonald, :awesome: remix!

Congrats to all the winners! :)
    Thoroughly enjoying the Monthly Mix-Ups! :D

This was very ovious to me. Great job. :)

U544

U544 Active Member

I really loved this month. Some really amazing entries. As I stated before I absolutely admire the Given Up remix m_macdonald aswell as Blackdonut's Blackout remix.
    Thanks to everyone who took part in that month and especially the winners for creating such enjoyable music.

Glen Orpheus

Glen Orpheus Frackin Frackers (",)

congrats to the winners, and me for a special mention.....lol, thank you Derek, i didn't think that it met the October criteria fully, so OMG thank you again for my special mention.
    right lets move on and start another remix :)

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

The winning entry got my ass shakin' :eek:

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

The winning entry was my fav to.

Well done to everyone who took part. :)

Paolo

Paolo Well-Known Member

Conrats m_macdonald! You deserved it. :)

Derek

Yeah dude, we really liked your remix, it just didn't fit the genre. But we appreciate that you found us through this contest, and we really want you to enter again the future!

Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

Thanks for the mention guys, I really appreciate it. Congrats to everyone else as well. I enjoyed participating very much, thanks for the opportunity. Good luck to everyone next month!

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

Derek....for the December contest you should do something crazy: A Jazz/synth Remix contest. See how you combine those two.
    As long as you don't do a holiday Christmas remix contest :lol:

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

They've already noted that there won't be a December contest. :lol:

Zane

Zane WARRIOR PRINCESS LPA Team

And now I look like a complete fool

m_macdonald

m_macdonald Well-Known Member

Wow. All I can say is thank you so much for selecting me as this month's winner, and for all the really positive things that have been said about my remix!

It's a tremendous feeling to get such a reaction from LPA, a forum of fellow Linkin Park fans who know LP's music inside out, and have probably heard countless Linkin Park covers, remixes and reinterpretations in their time. I can also safely say it is the first time anyone has been so kind as to describe something I've made as a “creature of beauty” :p Thank you all, it means a lot.

Congratulations to Blackdonut and Jason39, who's entries are both easily deserving of the top spot. I also look forward to future entries from Glen because, one of these months, he will easily steal the show and eat us with his remix. Maybe we will also see the thundering return of Dubstep winner, Best Asian Ever, who had some really encouraging things to say about my remix.

Oh, and thanks to Agent O. I will now forever associate the term “ass shakin” with that picture in your signature of Louis Theroux :p

On a side note, I haven't properly introduced myself to LPA, so I'll be over in the Newbie Camp shortly. Come and say hi!

Derek

You're highly welcome. You ignited our imagination with your creativity. Good work!

Glen Orpheus

Glen Orpheus Frackin Frackers (",)

haha, dont think im going anywhere Derek, you may be stuck with me for some time :)

could i make a small suggestion, that perhaps the winner of future events wins a LPA T-Shirt as well as their music featured on the site, perhaps even a page dedicated to all the LP Remixes with free Downloads, i would be more than happy for you to do this with my remix, and im sure that everyone else would be just as happy.

im also very intreaged to hear your own remix of waiting for the end.....hint hint ;)

Jason

Jason "My pep talk turned into a pep rally." LPA VIP

I second this, mainly the page dedicated to hosting winning entries. I'd be happy to allow mine to be downloaded. I also understand this may not be possible due to copyright infringement. After all, these are Linkin Park songs. And from what I understand, these Warner cats can sometimes be tools.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Wow, that drum & bass rmx of "Waiting For The End" ... love it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.