LPA team

Brad Delson Interview with The Philippine Star

Linkin Park guitarist Brad Delson recently did a phone interview with Philippines newspaper "The Philippine Star." In the interview Brad looked back at the success and meaning of "A Thousand Suns" while also talking about things like his charity opportunities, his thought's on Linkin Park's staying power, and how the band continues to evolve. Here are highlights from the article:

Looking back on "A Thousand Suns":
    “I’m very proud of the album A Thousand Sounds. It was really a labor of love. And I’m appreciative of all the amazing support we received because it definitely was a departure from our earlier records”
    “It’s a concept album in the sense that it’s a cohesive narrative — a creative journey that we set the listener on. It’s not conceptual in the literal sense, but it’s conceptual because it’s a cohesive album as opposed to a collection of songs”
    “It’s definitely, you can say, political and global-themed, but on a personal level, like the unconscious level, I wouldn’t say that there’s really an overt message… it’s more of an emotional or subconscious exploration of fears that we confront on a daily basis,” Brad said. “The emotional substance in the album is something that resonates with most of us in the band.”
    “We have very eclectic arrangements that it’s almost impossible how to figure playing them live. It requires a lot of flexibility and ingenuity. A favorite track would have to be When They Come From Me because here I get to do drums, guitars and sing a little bit. It definitely is a challenge performing the songs every time.”
    On the charity opportunities that he has:
    “What’s really cool about being in this group is that there are so many diverse opportunities not just for creative expression or for business. But it has also put us in a position to help people. I am personally interested in it, and it’s something I enjoy doing”
    Regarding the 15 year anniversary of the band's creation:
    “That makes me feel very old,” Brad laughed. “But it’s been fantastic because when we started playing music together, we just did it for fun. We certainly never thought that we’d get paid to do it, that we’d get to travel the world, including the Philippines, and perform before many great people. So, it’s really a blessing and I try not to take it for granted.”
    Talking more about the band itself:
    “Everyone’s real cool, goofy and fun. When we’re not on stage, the energy is very light, there’s a lot of amateur comedy going on. The operative word is ‘amateur’,” he said. “Before the band started, we were friends. Through the years, we’ve worked really hard to be respectful of each other. As we grow older and hopefully wiser, the level of friendship has also grown.”
    Asked for the secret of Linkin Park’s staying power, he pondered, “I think the fundamental tenets for the building blocks of longevity have been creative honesty, openness to risk and integrity. By the latter, we mean we’re not thinking of how we can make this or that song make people feel (a certain way) about it. We create music that inspiring to us.”
    “In terms of work, the stage the band is at… it’s always a moving target. I can speak for myself that I’m very appreciative of the opportunities that we have artistically. I’m very proud of the music we’re continuing to make. I love how things keep on changing and evolving.”
    You can read the full article HERE

As many Linkin Park fans know, interviews from Brad are hard to come by as of late. Especially one this long. What are your thoughts on this? Let us know in the forums!

Source: The Philippine Star via Jake

What's up with "less noise" that they're talking about? What does it mean?

LPA team
    Quote Originally Posted by TheZlajaZlo View Post
    What's up with "less noise" that they're talking about? What does it mean?
    My instincts tell me that the writer of the article saw that in the one interview that first mentioned it and slapped it on this article. Especially since he/she didn't quote Brad saying it.

"Iím very proud of the album A Thousand Sounds."

LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    "Iím very proud of the album A Thousand Sounds."
    Translation fail.
    The LPA is self funded. We support our hosting costs out of pocket and through ads, and although we do not expect our users to donate...any monetary contribution helps.
    To donate towards hosting costs and help support the site, please click on the Donate button below.

Check Out AltWire - My Latest Project

bittersweet and' cross that horizon cradle's Avatar
    That would be an awesome name for a Album.

LPA team
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    "I’m very proud of the album A Thousand Sounds."

Haha, I didn't notice that. Author of article's mistake, not mine

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Sure.

Ahh, my fellow Filipinos. being Filipino myself

But great interview, happy that Brad was able to give his time and talk more about ATS and LP5 coming up. And now I await a "COME 2 THE PHILIPPINES" smilie.
    Phoenix Suns and Linkin Park.

I've seen your heart, and it is mine. Robert's Avatar
    Very interesting. Brad really knows how to actually talk, communicate, express his feelings exactly the way they are.
    About the "less noise" thing, it's something Chester mentioned in another interview. Maybe that means the songs are going to be soft, though, I can't be sure, maybe there will be smaller amounts electronica.
    I want some punk in the next album, Chester's performance of "Wish" by NIN was really good and I want him to do some of that in LP music. His performances with DBS are also very rythmic, it's something I'm really glad to hear in Chaz's voice. Though maybe he doesn't want to do that with Linkin.
    Way to go, Benjamin, I really don't know where do you find all these interviews, keep up the good work.
    this is a trick

LPA team
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOfNeptune View Post
    Way to go, Benjamin, I really don't know where do you find all these interviews, keep up the good work.
    Haha thanks. But fyi Google News is your best friend.

LPAssociation.com Administrator Derek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NightOfNeptune View Post
    Very interesting. Brad really knows how to actually talk, communicate, express his feelings exactly the way they are. About the "less noise" thing, it's something Chester mentioned in another interview. Maybe that means the songs are going to be soft, though, I can't be sure, maybe there will be smaller amounts electronica. I want some punk in the next album, Chester's performance of "Wish" by NIN was really good and I want him to do some of that in LP music. His performances with DBS are also very rythmic, it's something I'm really glad to hear in Chaz's voice. Though maybe he doesn't want to do that with Linkin. Way to go, Benjamin, I really don't know where do you find all these interviews, keep up the good work.
    Honestly, if there's one dynamic to Chester's voice that I feel hasn't been explored much it's his lower range. If you listen to his cover of Hunger Strike that was on Songs From The Underground, there's a whole 'nother side to Chester on that performance that we never ever hear on a Linkin Park record. It would be great to hear some new material in that style.

Steve Perry, you gotta get the fuck out of here Pidgeon's Avatar
    Ooooooohhh, how about new, more controversial subjects, what do ya think they're talkin about

LPA team
    Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeon84 View Post
    Ooooooohhh, how about new, more controversial subjects, what do ya think they're talkin about
    Again, I'm pretty sure the article stole that from what Chester said in Kerrang way back in June.
    "We've learned how to write serious songs and serious lyrics. We've learned how to deal with politics, faith and other things. Those are things that can get preachy really quickly, which we don't want to do. So you need to learn to talk to people and not at people."
    Since that statement was said in the very early stages of this album making process, it's hard to say if that's what we'll actually get in the next record. One time Chester said M2M would be LP's heaviest album to date. You just don't know, lol.

Lmao I'm sure this is just me getting way over excited but I would definitely like to see them be really controversial. Its not really their style so much, but maybe just delve a wee bit into something more punk rock. They don't have to burn a whole flag, maybe just a corner XD

LPA team
    I could go along with whatever they decide to make as it's not a dubstep album or something, haha.

I could go along with whatever they decide to make as it's not a dubstep album or something, haha.
    Haha I would like to think they're better than that

This is totally nice and cool...

Children, remember under all that hair, Bradford is a smart cookie. Mmmmm cookie..

Vdalem's Cookies!

Thread Information