A couple questions.

Discussion in 'Your Projects' started by lakoniasm, Aug 2, 2011.

lakoniasm

lakoniasm What do I type here?

I'm getting into the whole maiing music thing, and I have a few questions about it and I'm curious. I watched Mike tour his studio and didnt get some things he had, like what is a patch phaser? I know what the two SSL X-Racks are, but what are the Path Phaers and how do you connect it to my SSL X-Racks? :nyan:

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

I'm gonna be honest bro, I don't have a clue. But what I recommend is saving your self millions and doing what you can with your computer. Get a good computer, if you're making rock get Pro Tools (Fl Studio works but idk if I'd recommend it) or if its hip-hop, electronic, pop use FL Studio. You can patch fase the tits out of anything if you have the right VST or software, plus it will save you money and space.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

The only hardware you should bother buying are instruments. Everything else has an almost identical counterpart on the computer.

Bradyoactiv

Bradyoactiv The world is your Cloyster LPA VIP

Listen to what travz21 said regarding most effects. VST compressors, limiters, etc. are just as good as anything you can get hardware wise, regardless of what analog purists are going to tell you. Truth is, none of the general listening population is going to give a crap whether you used VSTs or analog equipment, they're only gonna care if your music is good. However, you should look into getting an interface (I have a Line 6 Tonport KB37) for recording guitars and connecting microphones to your computer. If you have any intention of actually recording acoustic drums, get a mixer with enough inputs for the mics you'd be using, otherwise get an electric drum kit and a good sample library (I have Steven Slate Drums) or you could just program the acoustic drums as well. If you really want to save on money, I am a HUGE advocate of using REAPER as your DAW.