Official Muse Thread.

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by The Fortunate One, May 4, 2011.

1. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Gonna be a sick album. This new stuff is nice.

2. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Weird. The vocal melodies and the little guitar part in the bridge sound like something out of a Steve Miller Band song.

3. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I actually like this. It's strange, it is a big departure from their normal sound but eh, I don't think that's bad. Wasn't too fond of Unsustainable nor am I a big fan of Survival but Madness is, to me, quite an interesting song. I really like the build-up. All in all, a solid tune imo. I can see where you're coming from though.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. I do think these songs will be better within the context of the entire album.

4. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I really like it.

5. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I have to say, I actually really like all three of the songs. I'm really coming to appreciate the effort they're making to try something different. "Madness" was a very pleasant surprise, and honestly "Survival" has grown on me a lot (I love the way the song builds and closes). "Unsustainable" is interesting - and I think its structure is weird (wondering how it's going to fit in on the album). I've gotta say, Muse is grabbing me pretty good on this one - I want to listen to the album.

A band that lives on its calling cards doesn't progress. I'm sorry, but Muse needed to change. Perhaps this is an album of transition but I think it's a very necessary change for Muse to evolve. I'm actually really digging what they're trying to do because it has a lot of elements of what they're known for but creates the aura of, "Hmm, this isn't the Muse I know." I wouldn't call any of it nonsense because I actually think the inner concepts of what they're trying to convey with the album are very deep - we just might not be able to appreciate them now out of their context. And "Exogenesis" was hardly experimental. Honestly, it was different only in the sense that it was a cohesive three song symphony that was well put together - but it honestly wasn't anything more creative than, say, "Butterflies and Hurricanes." That was a song that really harkened back to "Absolution," and as such I can't see it as change.

But these three songs are change and I think I'll appreciate them even more as time passes and as their context unfolds. I'm very excited for the album.

6. Flagrare

Flagrare 'Majestic Dick. Brazilian Snake Cock. And Cunts. LPA Super Member

THIS. Everything he said.

OMG. Seriously. THIS MADNESS MADE ME MINDBLOW. :O

7. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I don't understand the need for such a drastic change. They're arguably one of the biggest, most successful rock bands in the world. Linkin Park changed because the genre they had pigeon-holed themselves into was crumbling at their feet. I don't see the need for such a huge overhaul of something that was amazing.

Perhaps the word I should have used instead of "experimental" was "different", as "Exogenesis Symphony" as a whole was a departure for the band. Yes they had used strings before, but ES was way more ambitious than what they had done before. It was different but familiar. This 2nd Law stuff doesn't strike the same chord with me.

There's going to be some growing pains for me for this album, I can tell. Each song has had small parts that I really enjoyed but as overall songs I don't feel they're up to Muse's usual standard, in my books.

"Survival" > "Madness"* > "Unsustainable"

* I should note that "Madness" has grown on me slightly. It was a bit of a shock at first, obviously.

8. iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Heard "Madness" on the radio, I was shocked when I found out it was MUSE. I really like it though, I've never been a big fan.

9. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I hate to bring out the age old comparison, but take for example NIN or Radiohead. They DIDN'T need to change to stay successful. NIN would've made plenty of money if Trent stuck to PHM2 like his label asked. Or derivatives of The Downward Spiral years later. But he changed because HE wanted to. Just because you're at your peak doesn't mean you're not allowed to change.

Same thing with Radiohead. In any case, I'll definitely be checking this out. The intrigue is killing me.

10. Louis

That is understandable. But I think a lot of bands would really hate to do the same thing over and over like Muse was (Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, and Black Holes and Revelations were all a part of a very similar style). I mean, it's like you said and I think your revision was more accurate (although you were referring to only "Exogenesis," but The Resistance was a relatively small departure for the band. There was a noticeable difference. Now, I think they're really trying to depart from that and go elsewhere, and I have to say that I really like that. It's kind of cool listening to these songs and knowing that it's Muse because it just doesn't sound like them at all (especially "Madness").

Now, my concern is how cohesive this album is going to be. Clearly, it's looking to be a conceptual record in some way or form (looking through the album and track titles). The three full songs that we've been given are all completely different from each other. "Unsustainable" is the second to last track on the record. I have to wonder what they're doing and where they're going with this. But, at the same time, the nature of this difference actually makes me very excited to see what happens. The 2nd Law will be very interesting.

11. op4blushift

op4blushift Well-Known Member

Exactly, Muse are just doing what they want to, not what the fans want or what made them successful. This feels like ATS all over again :lol:

Also, I think Madness is probably the best song I've heard so far off the 2nd Law.

12. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Survival was a bad song IMO. Unsustainable was better but fell short of what I expected. Madness however grew on me so quick. Definitely a good song. Different, but good. I love how the song builds up towards the end. Matt's voice is amazing as always. They seem to have become very electronic. I agree that I miss their God like guitar solos.

For me its Madness>Unsustainable>Survival(which I PERSONALLY think is among their worst songs)

13. Oliver

Oliver Spela Shoreline!

I only hear Queen in "Madness". It almost sounds like he is trying to sound like Freddie at some point... And the guitar solo sounds like the solo in "I want to break free"... But other than that is a pretty good song!

14. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Agree with all of this. I really like Madness!

15. Jayhov

Jayhov Well-Known Member

I really like Madness.

16. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

I like Madness a lot. :D

17. Louis

If anything, I'd say "Madness" sounds more like U2 than it does Queen.

18. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Wow, this "Madness" song is awesome.

19. Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

I've been listening to Madness for two days right now. Like I said before, wasn't too fond of the previous two songs but this one really gets me.

20. RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Madness is such a great song. It has a bit of a U2 sound going on, rather than Queen in my opinion. I can't wait for the album.