Dream Theater

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, May 9, 2003.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Let me introduce you to the progressive rock masters that are Dream Theater. They have tbe best guitarist today in their band (John Petrucci) that will blow your socks off with his guitar playing. Mark Portnoy is an amazing drummer, Mybung is a solid bassist and James LaBrie has an amazing voice! They also have keyboardist Jordan Rudess and he's great at adding background noises or contributing to the melody! They lack the wierdness of Tool and sound a bit like Metallica and Led Zeppelin (their influences) at times!

Check out 'Misunderstood' (more of a LZ-like acoustic soft start with a harder finish!), 'The Test That Stumped Them All' is a Metallica-esque song with stunning guitar playing from Petrucci (listen to him at the end and you'll be convinced that hes a GOD!), 'Pull Me Under' is another great track with an acoustic melody and different sounds coming in leading to a heavy metal riff, a great song. Another cool one is 'Lie' which feature lower singing from LaBrie and heavy guitars. LaBrie sounds a bit like David Draiman's voice in some of this song!

So d/l some of their stuff I bet you'll like it!

Magick

Magick Ambient

You know, I've been meaning to get into DT for the longest time. The last time I was at the record store, they had Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence for $15. I hadn't realized it was a double-disk CD because otherwise I would've gotten it.

What CD of theirs do you recommend I get first?

Methybrea

Its hard to say, since I'm just getting into them myself! But Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is one of their best from what I've heard (yep a double CD totalling 13 songs and over 90 minutes of music!), Images & Words is their most popular and has a lot of prog rock stylings, Awake is their heaviest work, Change of Seasons comprises of 5 epic songs, and Scenes of A Memory is one of their best albums and is really prog-like.

I have had trouble in the past while getting out to music stores that have DT stuff!
    But any DT album that you find will be worth your money!

Magick

Magick Ambient

Thank you. :) Now all the albums sound good so I don't know which ones to get. :p I guess I'll just go ahead and start out with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Nobody else wants to post about DT? :wth:

sup103

sup103 Ambient

I like Overture 1928, but everything else is just kinda not my thing. They have lots of talent through.

Ive never heard them

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Nope.......i will check them out tho :D

are they worth checking out???

Methybrea

Definately, they are touted as five of the best musicians to ever play together, yet they just haven't got much recognition outside of their fanbase. They've only released about 3 singles even though they have 6 studio albums! So yeah not much mainstream exposure but they are amazing and well worth your time/money d/l or buying one of their albums.

Methybrea

Sludge Factory

Sludge Factory Well-Known Member

My brother likes them a lot. He even saw them in concert. I dont really like them though...

Methybrea

A GREAT instrumental by Dream Theater is 'The Dance of Eternity'. If you like that, and you want an amazing instrumental band, try Liquid Tension Experiment. It comprises of the guitarist, drummer, and keyboardist off Dream Theater and former King Crimson bassist, Tony Levin. They are amazing together and all their music is through jams that they've had! Check out 'Acid Rain' by them, its the best instrumental I have ever heard!