Do You Think Linkin Park Will Last?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Feb 22, 2011.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Let's think about this thread is not an attack at Linkin Park and their previous success, but more so what's going to happen in the future of Linkin Park.

But do you think Linkin Park will last as a band and as a band that has a huge fanbase?

I saw the different reactions amongst fans when ATS came out, compared to the likes of MTM, and I have to say it was varied. Some people liked ATS, some people didn't. I know this will happen to every album they have produced and most likely will happen to any future albums, like many other bands. I would hate to see them split, for personal reasons and would hate for them to go for their separate ways (again sentimental reasons) but given the huge success of ATS and the increasing demand of Linkin Park being played on the radio, attending events etc. I'm in limbo between yes and no.

I base my yes reasoning to the recent news of them booking the studio, leaving room for either another single or another album, or maybe even both. Especially given the timing of the quickness of this announcement and the usual times given by them in the past to produce music (this came out Derek's reply to the thread).

I base my no reasoning to the fact that all good things must come to an end. Even if they don't officially split, but certain members decide to go their own way, being replaced by others, I personally think it would be different and I would see it as an end to the original line up of members to Linkin Park.

Opinions?

Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

I think you have absolutely no valid reasons for any of what you said. I'm not going to try and be rude, I just think it's insane what you're saying.

First off, you contradicted yourself by stating that reception to ATS was "varied" and then continuing to say that it's hugely successful and is demanded on the radio. Furthermore, how would the latter contribute to the decline in their fan base?

Secondly, while their fan base isn't necessarily as large as it may have been during the HT/Meteora time period, they're still one of the largest acts in the world. I believe on Facebook they have more fans than just about every other band out there. It's Facebook, yes, but it's still an indicator of their lasting appeal. Their new sounds appeal to a different fanbase, and they're still going to keep the die-hard fans (like myself) that appreciate what they put out simply because it's a true reflection of who they are as musicians. Which brings me to my final point...

Linkin Park are finally making music that THEY want to make. Music that appeals to THEM. They've come out saying they don't need to justify the album, they don't care about producing radio friendly songs, and sales are very low on their priority list. Chester laughed at the fact that on iTunes, reviews are either a love/hate sort of reaction. Their fans are important to them, but when it comes down to it, it's their own personal taste that influences how their albums will sound from here on out. I believe the reason they're booking another studio session so fast is because they're legitimately enjoying where they're at as a band right now, and are eager to create more music. Keep in mind during their younger years, they toured nonstop for years at a time. I'm sure they're finished with that, and would much rather be in the studio creating new music than touring around the world for two years straight.

So honestly, I don't understand what your concerns are. Obviously no bands last forever, it's impossible. However, I can't foresee LP breaking up anytime soon. The chemistry between the six always seems very strong, and I would imagine they're having more fun as a band now then they ever have. Perhaps I'm alone on this, perhaps I'm not. But I really can't see them going anywhere anytime soon.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Because not everyone agrees with their new music. Even though they have "lost" old fans, they've made it up with a bunch of new fans. I'm not implying this is uncommon with old bands producing new different sounds. The reason why I said it was "successful" was because of the popularity it got on the charts.

AGAIN Not everyone agrees to their new sound and not everyone likes to think that they like their new image and that WB have "watered down" stuff. But that's all in the other thread. (sobloodyfuckingwhatfacebookitselfisfullofshitbutiwontstartmyselfonfacebookbecausethisdiscussionisnotaboutfacebook).

Obviously you have never come across fans who are "OH NOZ LINKIN PARK WILL BE SO AWESUM N NEVA BREAKK UP THE NU METALLICA!!" And as stated before, all good things must come to an end.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Most bands split because of creative differences, and I don't see that happening with LP for awhile. And even if they do, everyone is easily replaceable besides Mike and Chester. Their albums would probably sound the same or better if they just kept those 2 at least.

arbiter

arbiter Well-Known Member

Linkin Park will never break up. Mike Shinoda will never let LP breakup. Why? Because Mike Shinoda is a smooth talker and he is adorable. No one can resist that adorable man so there.:awesome:

On a serious note...ehh...i got nothing.^_^

Vriska

Vriska Wiki Staff LPA VIP

I am not worried about LP worrying about what people think of their music. I think they realize by now that they've split their listener base so many times over in different ways that there will never be consensus from the listeners. There will never again be an opportunity for LP to please everyone... maybe they'll be lucky to please half of everyone. And they know it's impossible, so they write for themselves rather than what they think people will like.

I'm not worried so much about creative differences over this one simple fact: Chester Bennington belongs in a protective bubble and surrounded by soft things.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Actually watching the Meeting of A Thousand Suns did freaked me out a bit, especially at the point where they couldn't come up with the decision in picking the 1st single.
    But seeing them now putting out summits, touring, and all those LPTVs, I think they're more closer to each other, not only as band members, but as friends, as a family.
    The member who I see having the most potential upon creative differences is Brad, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Brad isn't even creative. What's there to get hung up about? The rest of the band being too creative?

pooldude

pooldude Give it all away just to hav someone to go home to

They are going to last....as long LP has people who enjoy their music insteas of the music of Nu- metal.... LP will be there :) ;)

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

yes.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Lots of bands who've lasted have broken their base plenty of times. I don't think that really says anything either way. In fact, most of the bands from that scene who've faded into obscurity that I can think of are the ones that did more or less the same thing over and over... they'd have lost fans if they tried pandering to one section of them and they'd have lost fans otherwise.

It's hard for a band to blow up like they did and sustain it for more than maybe a few years. And it's hard to measure how big their fanbase is, because checking posts on a message board isn't going to be completely accurate, and trying to go by sales and airplay figures has its flaws as well. My guess is, they already haven't really lasted as a band as huge as they were about 8 years back, but I don't see why they won't last as a band with a decent sized fanbase.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

I do hope they last as a band, but in the unfortunate event they do not...we can say 'THIS WAS NEVER MEANT TO LAST.' :awesome:

...I kid. I hope they stay together :).

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I agree. Bands also tend to split up when they want to pursue other projects. I don't think that will be a problem with Linkin Park at all because we have already had side projects from both Mike and Chester.

So yeah, I think they will last.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

I think they will last FOREVER. :awesome:

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

They will stay together for the kids.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

You mean they won't Sing For The Moment?

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

No because it will feel so empty Without them.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

And that ain't Beautiful.

Benjam'in

Benjam'in New Member

It would kill me if they broke but I cannot deny what Blackout said. Although i do GREATLY resent their new style of songs, if they're happy, I'm happy

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

I don't think they'll ever be mega-popular, 7/8/9 time platinum sellers again, but I think they'll keep making albums. Didn't stop Korn, didn't stop The Offspring, etc.

They're going to slow down, and it'll probably be relatively soon, but they'll still be active.