The Avengers

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Moridin, Jan 14, 2011.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I figured I'd make this thread for the Cinematic Universe that Marvel Studios is attempting to create (Iron Man, Thor, Captain America & the Hulk) instead of making individual threads for each.

Next films to be released will be Thor (May) & Captain America (July) of this year.

Thor's trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOddp-nlNvQ

First picture of Chris Evans as Captain America all suited up was released yesterday:

[thumb]http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/d/50/4d30961147148.jpg[/thumb]

CA's trailer will apparently be released by early February.

And of course The Avengers will be out summer 2012, written & directed by Joss Whedon (who also script-doctored for Captain America).

What say you?

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

They've pulled off Cap's costume pretty well based on that picture, and personally I love Chris Evans. I think that one's shaping up to potentially be a lot better than I expected.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I think we may have hit a fork for the first time, Dean. I actually think Thor and Captain America will be ok, but no where near the level of Iron Man, and I actually liked the most recent Hulk where most people didn't. Am I pissed they're replacing The Hulk AGAIN? Yes, yes I am. Something about Chris Evans as Captain America just doesn't sit right with me. Oh yeah, he was The Human Torch. The only thing right about the Thor movie is Natalie Portman. While I'm on this rant of Marvel movies - Green Lantern will be an epic fail. Especially when Ryan Reynolds is a double agent playing Deadpool, too, for DC.

Dean

I mean, I don't necessarily think Captain America will be a great film but I wasn't really looking forward to it until Chris Evans was cast. He seems to have split people right down the middle which is fair enough. I don't have a problem with how he played the Human Torch though, in any case. I think he was the best thing about those films, and apparently if there is a new Fantastic Four film it'll be another reboot with everyone recast.

Apparently Zachary Levi was going to be in Thor at one point, and it was rumoured that David Tennant would be the new Bruce Banner. That would've been interesting to see.

Moridin

I actually think Thor & Cap have potential to be as good or better than IM. There's a lot of talent in both. Of course they could end up being mediocre too, but I have good vibes about both.

I like TIH too, Norton was very good as Banner, bummed he got recast. I just wish Marvel had trusted Norton/Leterrier and gone with their cut of the film, probably would have ended up much better. It's pretty well liked though, it was just promoted incredibly poorly at the time.

Evans having once played Torch is no problem, that series wasn't produced by Marvel (Fox :disgust:) & is being rebooted. I hope Fox can't get it together though, so the rights go back to Marvel.

I've seen people being more against Evans for playing the same kind of smartarse character in his movies and not wanting Cap to be portrayed that way. But after seeing Sunshine I see he can play the serious leader type well.

Green Lantern is DC, Deadpool is Marvel. :rasberry:
    Though I don't see how Reynolds playing both characters would affect the quality of either movie?
    But yeah, I'm not too excited about GL.

I wonder how Iron Man 3 will turn out without Jon Favreau directing.....

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

This and X-Men First Class are both set in the mid-1900s. It'd be interesting to see how that works out for superhero movies.

The suit looks sick btw.

Dean

I like both Iron Man films but I didn't love them. In my estimation at least, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for any of these to be at least as good.

Jacen

Jacen Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to both Capt and Thor movies, great to see fellow aussie Chris Hemsworth actually starring in a blockbuster film. I can't believe that they're recasting Thor for the second time but it's interesting to see how Mark Ruffalo plays it out. Green Lantern looks like it may flop, that character has never interested me anyways. Btw has anyone read the leaked Deadpool script? It had me in stitches the whole night I was reading it and I hope Fox won't eff this up by giving it a PG rating, this movie deserves an R!

Agent

Finally a well made poster for a super-hero movie. It seems like the last few super-hero films all had horribly made posters.

[​IMG]

I'm so amped for this!!!

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Damn, I gotta cop a print of that for my room! :eek:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
    Agent

More photos from the film...

[thumb]http://www.dailyblam.com/sites/all/files/news/capimage6.jpg[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://www.dailyblam.com/sites/all/files/news/capimage5.png[/thumb]

[thumb]http://www.dailyblam.com/sites/all/files/news/capimage4.jpg[/thumb]
    Hugo Weaving as Red Skull.

[thumb]http://www.dailyblam.com/sites/all/files/news/capimage8.png[/thumb]
    [thumb]http://www.dailyblam.com/sites/all/files/news/capimage7.jpg[/thumb]

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Seems like it could be cheesy or good depending on what the actors bring to the table. Anyone read the script yet?

Moridin

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

The trailer for Captain America felt kind of lacking. I still have my hopes though :)

Agent

Holy fuck! The commercials looks great! It's gonna be so awesome to see a superhero film set in that era.

Dean

Cobie Smulders, who plays Robin in How I Met Your Mother, is going to be in The Avengers. Meaning three fifths of that show's main cast have now worked with Whedon.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I'm pretty sure you meant The Hulk :)

Oh, haha, yeah, that. It doesn't affect the quality lol, I have this OCD thing where I get annoyed when I get really into a character and then the actor plays a role that's far-fetched from it, or in Ryan Reynold's case, treachery! It's not anything legitimate against his acting abilities or anything :lol: Like, I actually enjoyed the first Scooby-Doo film having grown up with the show, and Sarah Michelle Gellar played Daphne really, really well! 2 years later, she's in The Grudge. What the :FUUUUUU:

Agent

She's pretty horrible on HIMYM imo. But then again maybe she is just bad at doing comedic roles. I haven't seen her on anything dramatic.

Moridin

Dean

She's not great but I don't think she's horrible by any means. When you're doing comedy alongside Jason Segel and NPH and you aren't the straight man, you'd have to be pretty good not to pale in comparison.

Not that I disliked it in the first place but that one is way better.