The Avengers

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Moridin, Jan 14, 2011.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

Two new Thor spots:
    [YOUTUBE]Zz7hNEIm5vM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]-GLbiqu55NY[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly, this keeps looking better & better.

Well it's Marvels version of Thor, not historical/mythical Thor. They've kept close to the comic material (& the tone already set up by Iron Man & Incredible Hulk).

I really disagree about the costumes looking plastic. In early pictures sure, but everything that's gone through post-production looks great.
    I mean, if you look up set photos of Iron Man, or even early promo shot like on Empire Magazine, the armour looks plastic. Looks great in the actual movie though after they worked their movie magic in post.

It looks pretty epic to me. :rasberry::D

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

It's looking cheesier and cheesier.

Gman2887

Gman2887 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but it may just be the way the trailers are cut. The narrator really hurts it as well. Otherwise, the performances are fine. Some of the special effects... well... It's not like The Incredible Hulk was a plethora of convincing visuals either.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Kenneth Branagh is directing it, so yeah haha. Even when he's only directing he manages to be really hammy.

That's pretty much the reason I want to see it though because apparently he is making the film a very Shakespearean take on it. When I was really into Marvel Thor was not a character I particularly liked personally. But it'll be interesting to see how different this actually is to other Marvel films. We probably won't see til the whole thing is released because if it is I doubt it's going to be marketed that way.

Moridin

Thor is being released around the world over the next few weeks starting this week in Australia. Reviews are starting to roll in and they are pretty much all very positive so far.

Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

If that's true then it's good to hear. I wasn't too impressed with the trailers/promotion.

Moridin

I saw this last week, thought it was very good.

A pretty straight-forward but good story, arrogant warrior/son/older brother acts against his King/fathers orders, restarts an old war & is subsequently stripped of his powers and cast down to earth to learn humility.

A bit choppy and rushed here & there (like Thor's turn from arrogance & the romance with Jane) a longer cut with more character moments would definitely push it over the line into "great" territory (Similar problem with The Incredible Hulk).
    Brannagh mentioned they have about 20 minutes of cut footage though, so fingers crossed for an Extended Edition DVD/BD.

The score isn't anything special.

Volstagg & Fandral (Thor's buddies) really tread the line close to camp, and go over it a couple times unfortunately but they have minimal screen time.

The entire film could have been ridiculously camp with the material it had to adapt, but isn't thanks to Brannagh, great job by him.

The acting from the main cast is very solid all around (bar those mentioned above).

[thumb]http://netkushi.com/gallery2/var/albums/Hollywood-Movie-Stills/T/Thor-movie-stills/Thor-Movie-Stills/Thor_movie_stills_43.jpg?m=1295116763[/thumb]
    Chris Hemsworth is great as Thor, he really sold the arc of arrogant warrior/fish out of water/humbled man (god?) & has great chemistry with Portman. Dude has acting chops & very good comic timing ("I need a horse!"), I look forward to seeing him and Robert Downey Jr butt heads in The Avengers.

[thumb]http://netkushi.com/gallery2/var/albums/Hollywood-Movie-Stills/T/Thor-movie-stills/Thor-Movie-Stills/Thor_movie_stills_35.jpg?m=1295116750[/thumb]
    Tom Hiddleston, again great as Loki, has a good arc of his own.

[thumb]http://netkushi.com/gallery2/var/resizes/Hollywood-Movie-Stills/T/Thor-movie-stills/Thor-Movie-Stills/Thor_movie_stills_30.jpg?m=1295116742[/thumb]
    Hopkins is totally solid as Odin. Mentioned in an interview that Brannagh reminded him of his old mentor, inspiring him to not phone it in & it shows, he has some great scenes.

Honourable mention to Idris Elba, he's a badass as Heimdall.

All in all very good, on par with Iron Man & one of the best in the genre.

Also, stick around for the post-credtid scene.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Just got out of the theater a few minutes ago.

I'm surprised, yet glad that the interactions between the cast actually trumped the action; I expected more out of the proposed battle sequences. Hemsworth's portrayal of Thor was great, but Tom Hiddleson's performance as Loki really shined. I believe what really kept this film from being one of the 'greats' in the category of superhero films involves the aspect in which the film was made with the intentions of being a precursor to a larger film. In that sense, I didn't exactly feel as though I was completely invested. Consequently, the film should have been named with a subtitle. Don't wanna sound like a party-pooper though, as I did enjoy the film thoroughly, and would probably have had an even greater time if I was a Thor-nerd (props, and other little doo-dads that I caught without knowing if they were representable of something from the comics..).

I rate it a 7/10.

In the aspect of fantasy grounded in a real-world setting and it's situations, Hellboy 2 did it better.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

As a huge comic book nerd, they pulled off Thor very well. What Snail said is correct: as a Thor-nerd (well, Marvel nerd in general. And DC. So I guess comic-nerd in general.), I probably had a greater time than everybody else during that film. Hawkeye's cameo had me cheering for a good 5 seconds.

9/10

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Yeah I enjoyed this movie as well. I didn't go into it with high hopes and wasn't pleasantly surprised with what I saw. Pretty good movie. Hemsworth was great and so was Hiddleston (who looks alot like Jared Leto to me). Well done
    4/5

Moridin

Moridin

First look at Avengers designs, poster from a Licensing Expo in Vegas.

[​IMG]

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

In all honesty, the only character I can't wait to see back in action again is the Hulk.

travz21

I'd only want to see the Hulk again if Norton came back as him. I'm actually looking forward to Captain America.

Moridin

Cap trailer 2

[YOUTUBE]W4DlMggBPvc&feature=youtu.be[/YOUTUBE]

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Is it me or does Hulk looks like he's naked?

This looks like it keeps getting better as time goes on.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    travz21

Yeah, this has potential. Also have to give them props for using Tool.

Moridin

Buzz from early screenings of Captain America is positive so far, it's out this Friday in most places, next week here though.

Also the first teaser trailer for The Avengers leaked (low quality), Marvel will be releasing it online in HQ on Firday.

Heh, you weren't the first to say that :lol:. It's just his knee though.

Moridin

Avengers concept art.

[thumb]http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9058/bannerme.jpg[/thumb]

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

God I would love that as a giant print in my bedroom.