Eulogy. How To.

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Snail, Jan 1, 2011.

Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Hey there fellow LPA members.

My best friend and cousin recently passed away and I have been given the honour to write and present a eulogy during his funeral. I have an idea of where to start, but I was wondering if there is anyone here on the boards that have undertaken such a responsibility before. I would like to discuss. Thank you.

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

Aww I'm really sorry to hear about your loss :(

I've never had to do anything like that, I don't think I would have the courage to do that either. Just speak from the heart and don't be afraid to express your feelings. You must have so many fond and happy memories of him so maybe you can share a few of them.

I hope you're ok.

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

Don't be afraid to cry during it.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Share a humourous story involving that person, but obviously one that is appropriate for the setting. Talk about what made that person special and how the world is worse off without that person. Eulogies don't have to be depressing. A funeral is as much a chance to celebrate someone's life as it is to mourn their passing.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

This. When I went to my friend's funeral back in May, his sisters shared humorous stories about him. Funerals, in their nature, are sad, but like Mark said, you should take the opportunity to celebrate their life.

Snail

I feel detached from reality.

On the day that my best friend/cousin passed away in the hospital, I could hardly hold my tears in. I felt like a wreck. Driving back and forth from home to hospital, hospital to home...I was crying while driving. The following two - three days I cried every morning in thought of my dear friend.

Today ..one week after the incident of his passing I attended his viewing. Many family members, close friends, and old friends alike attended as well. I shed tears briefly when I first arrived and saw him in the open casket. However, shortly afterward I couldn't cry. I felt like I was detached from what was going on. All I did for the remainder of the two hours was stand there and frown. I was trying to find myself, but I couldn't. Nothing felt real, and nothing I felt was genuine after the first few moments of staring at him. Mind you, I never did anything wrong towards him. I believe that his passing has made me realize that I am corrupt. I've done things that I shouldn't have done in life. My mind is a blank. I want to connect with my friend again spiritually, but I can't find a way.

Tomorrow I stand to speak my eulogy. I hope that my words can do him justice.

Snail

I have found closure more or less.

I appreciate all the help that has been given LPA members!

I would greatly appreciate it if this thread is deleted/locked. Thank you.