WikiLeaks

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Derek, Dec 7, 2010.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Or maybe America (and us, it's not just the USA that's fucked up) should not start dropping bombs into where '100s of millions of people' live, just for some fucking oil. That seems like a much more reliable way to not endanger lives ;)

Anyway, wikileaks posts information about things that have already happened, it doesn't endanger military operations (or the killing of innocent civilians, as seems to be the case more often than not) before they happen.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Look, I'm not saying Wikileaks isn't good stuff.

I just don't see how he is a hero. I made an similar analogy as to why, and even pointed out that the wikileaks is probably a gold mine of information. I didn't say it does, I'm saying "If it did/does..."

What I am saying is that Assange isn't a hero in my opinion. Nor is the person who obtained these cables and gave them to Assanage. Infact, I'd rather call him out for arrest/treason/espionage for giving secret U.S Documents to a non-US citizen in a different country than arrest Assange for trial.

edit: If assanage gets the Press freedom prize... :lol: I'll laugh at the irony.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

If the group includes "accredited journalists", surely they can be at least a little selective about what they publish - rather than just blindly throwing everything out there and possibly endangering lives - and somehow provide a bit of context for whatever they put out ...

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

The media has NEVER given a crap to what they put out.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

They are actually being more selective than they should be, they removed all the names, weapon specifications and almost anything info that could harm the US army..

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

Assange is just zis guy, you know?

minuteforce

Well, that's, um, kind of fair, I guess :x

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Explain to me what makes Wikileaks necessary. Alright, so we know that some soldiers fucked up and killed civillians mistaken as terrorists, China's situation with Google, etc. Why is stuff like that something that is essential to know? How does it make our respective nations better? All it does is just rise tensions that never had to be started. Things are kept secret for a reason. It's not worth exploiting secrets that could endanger us just so the people can "know the truth."

Luckily, there hasn't been anything that leaked that's too harmful YET. I agree with Derek and Jay completely. This man is no hero and should be imprisoned for threatening national security.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
    Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

You guys act as if he's giving out the nuclear codes to the U.S.' enemies.

These cables are just correspondence between diplomats from different countries and those in the U.S, or between various levels of government in the U.S. I don't see how he's threatening national security other than the argument that it's harming relationships with other countries. Fair enough, but America had a lot of enemies before WikiLeaks. I doubt Libya is vowing to destroy America because one cable described their leader as a "dangerous eccentric". No shit, really?

Everybody keeps toting either the media or American-government line about how this is an endangerment to people, but could somebody provide me with a few examples of cables that explicitly demonstrate this? Maybe there's some out there, I don't know. Educate me.

Benjamin

Fair enough, but until Wikileaks comes out and shows me they're pacifists, I can't help but express some concern.

I do know that the US government has a few locations that contain antidotes for certain diseases such as Typhoid Fever if there was an outbreak. That's an example of something that they could leak and if they did, it could end badly. Granted, that's just an example and it probably wouldn't start WWIII, but who knows what they could get their hands on? Again, until I get proof that these guys know where to cross the line, I'll show some concern.

Mark

You're letting your imagination run wild. The nature of these cables is pretty much simple commentary on world events, not discussions of things like you suggested. It's non-policy chit-chat. Even if something like your scenario came up, the U.S. has ridiculously extensive protocols to mitigate such risks. The U.S. knows what cables are going to be leaked, and if anything of that sensitive nature was ever in danger of being released publicly, I assure you they'd have enacted measures to prevent bad things from happening.

I don't think you should show concern UNTIL and IF something potentially dangerous gets leaked, because right now that's a big IF. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around. As of right now, you're buying into the fear-mongering the government and media are doing. And I'm not an anti-establishment person, it's simply a true observation of how things are getting spun.

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

Coincidentally a man who works for WikiLeaks also works for the American Military. I don't know what the documents say, but I have a brief overview to what they reveal, but it must've been some major fucking up on America's behalf for it's own military to resort to leaking the information.

And as for national security threats, I really don't see any arguments against Bush 'accidentally' risking national security by revealing a CIA's undercover agent's identity.

Seriously I like to know the truth and not be treated like a chess piece.

minuteforce

Wait, what? :*

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I'd comment after some more about PRC comes out.

El Muerto

I heard you guys could push the Earth out of its orbit if all of you jump off a chair at the same time, so they probably don't wanna fuck with China :D

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I thought the "Bush leaked CIA agent's identity!" claims were put to rest a while ago.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

There are rumors saying that WikiLeaks is going to leak some of the high-rank CPC officials' bank account in Switzerland. That should be interesting.

El Muerto

Yeah, it was announced a couple of days ago.

Benjamin

That's like saying you shouldn't get concerned about someone shooting you until they actually shoot you. Wikileaks has some of the best hackers out there. And in my opinion, they've come across as pretty reckless and having a "we can do whatever the fuck we want" attitude. Example: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/12/09/palin-confirms-cyberattack-wikileaks-supporters/ (For the record I hate Sarah Palin but you get the point :lol:)

But I'm not losing sleep over this. Although, I don't think you can ignore the fact that wikileaks could release something in the future that could threaten national security. I hope that they know where to cross the line though. If they ONLY release stuff similar to what they have been releasing, then I can live with that.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
    Mark

Terrible analogy. You have reason to believe someone will shoot you if they have a gun pointed at you. WikiLeaks, to this point, has not released any information that comes remotely close to what you've described. Nor have they released anything that has lead to a single person getting hurt. AGAIN, it's just non-policy chit chat. Your assertion that they could have information that will threaten national security is completely unsubstantiated.

WikiLeaks doesn't have some of the best hackers out there. The people who have been taking down major websites with DDoS attacks are from a group called Anonymous. They are not affiliated with WikiLeaks in any way. They are supporters of the freedom of information and see WikiLeaks as a major contributor to this. Please read up a little more on this (and avoid the Fox News stories).