My MTM Review

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Polychromatic, Aug 6, 2010.

Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

Sorry if there is a thread for this, I honestly couldn't find one. In anticipation for A Thousand Suns I figured, I should go back and listen to Linkin Park's first album since changing their style. It's a highly underrated album, many people claiming that Linkin Park sold out for commercial rock. I disagree.

01. Wake - I'm not going to give this a number rating, because of its length, but it starts off with a scratching type of sound, and really builds up into an epic, but dark intro. Really nice dark synth, and ambient sound effects.

02. Given Up - It opens with hand clapping and keys jingling. This one is more of a punk, loud, guitar driven song. It's more emotional, and pyschotic than what we are used to. Chester proves that he still has it with a 16 second scream during the bridge of the song. It's a decent track.*
    [Score: 8/10]

03. Leave Out All The Rest - This song showcases Linkin Park's newer, softer style. It is really poppy, but still a good effort, and a really soothing song.

04. Bleed It Out - More of a traditional Linkin Park style song. Heavy rapping verses, and Chester singing the choruses and bridge. This one is fast paced, and pretty short, but it still turns out to be a good track. You can tell by the noises in the back that the song was meant to be a fun track.

05. Shadow Of The Day - A softer ballad, and one of the softest songs Linkin Park has ever showcased. A beautiful song, alot less poppy than the third track, and remains to be one of my favorites of the album.
    [Score: 8.5/10]

06. What I've Done - The first single off of the album. The song opens with a horror movie-esque piano, and turns out to be your traditional rock song. It's a song about new beginnings, and starting over.*

07. Hands Held High - Mike Shinoda displays easily, the best verses he has ever written in this song. The marching drum beat and simple melodies really compliment Mike's poetic rapping. The song ends with Chester and Mike singing a duet.

08. No More Sorrow - The intro of the song is pretty long, and this turns out to be more of a heavier song, similar to Given Up in ways. Many people believe this is another anti-political song. It's okay but I don't like it too much.
    [Score: 7/10]

09. Valentine's Day - The song is another ballad, Chester starts off pretty quiet in this one, and the song builds up to a nice climatic ending. I think this one was average at best, nothing to rave about. My least favorite.
    [Score: 6.5/10]

10. In Between - Honestly this is a very soft track. Mike showcases his singing talent in this one, and for the most part without the help of Chester. Very simple and soothing track.
    [Score: 7/10]

11. In Pieces - This track is one of my favorites off of the album. There is a nice catchy beat with ska-plucking and Chester singing. This track is another track that slowly builds up to a great climatic ending. The beat to this song is really catchy, as well as the lyrics.
    [Score: 9/10]

12. The Little Things Give You Away - This is a very powerful, emotional song. The best track to close out the album. There is a nice simple drum beat, acoustic guitar, a powerful lengthy guitar solo by Brad, and Mike and Chester singing together in harmony to close out the album. Another one of my favorites.*
    [Score: 9/10]

Overall I would give this album a 9/10. It was a breath of fresh air and a great new direction for the band. Although not alot of people would agree, this is one of my favorites from the band.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
    Polychromatic

Polychromatic Banned

I don't mean to double post, but can anyone else post their reviews?

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I will at some point tonight sure.

Jacob

Jacob Guest

01. Wake - I really love this track, I just find the progression to be epic and I think it makes a great intro to the album.
    [Score: 5/5]

02. Given Up - Pretty good song overall for me, if I'm ever mad or angry this song is the perfect thing to listen to. The bridge is awesome and my favorite part of the song, just a really crazy song but I like it!

03. Leave Out All The Rest - When I first heard this I liked it, but now it's just one of those songs that I'm really sick of. The guitar during the chorus started to bother me, just too repetitive. Overall not a bad song at all though, just not my favorite kind of sound.
    [Score: 3.5/5 (used to be 4/5 before I got sick of it :lol:)]

04. Bleed It Out - This is a cool track, really unique also and an awesome song for getting pumped up. I like the live version they played at Milton Keynes a lot more than the studio version which is why the score won't be 5/5. Also, I think the swearing was kind of unnecessary.
    [Score: 4/5]

05. Shadow Of The Day - I really like this song. I usually don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics but I could actually relate to the emotion in this song. One of my favorite soft songs by them.
    [Score: 4.5/5]

06. What I've Done - Cool chord progression, cool piano intro, and I really like the vocals near the end where Mike joins in. Great song.
    [Score: 4.5/5]

07. Hands Held High - They did a really good job with the lyrics in this one. I like the song a lot but after hearing Mike do this live, I just seem to like it a lot more when it's slower because that's how he did it when he did the acapella and it was just a lot more emotional to me. During the line, "Jump when they tell us that they wanna see jumpin', fuck that I wanna see some fists pumpin" is an example of where I just like that energy that you don't really hear because in the studio version he just sounds kind of relaxed and quiet. Still a great song though.

08. No More Sorrow - I love the intro to this song, it's just an awesome beat to me. The rest of the song is okay and I think the live intro they use sounds a lot better.

09. Valentine's Day - I like this song, kind of surprised at how people dislike it. It's pretty simple but I still enjoy it a lot. Listening to it right now. :lol:

10. In Between - The lyrics just seemed kind of odd to me, and that weird horn-like sound they use just doesn't sound that good. Not terrible, but probably my least favorite on the album.
    [Score: 3.5/5]

11. In Pieces - A mediocre song for me, the guitar solo was okay. Honestly just one of those songs I like because of Chester's awesome voice. :lol:

12. The Little Things Give You Away - Really good song to end the album with, the build-up is epic and I really like the part at the end where the instruments stop and it's just the three of them singing.

Overall it get's a 4.5/5. They really did appeal to a lot of different audiences with this album which is good, but a little bit if a let down for us HT and Meteora nu-metal fans. But to be honest, I don't think a continuation of their first two albums would set them in a good direction, would just seem kind of repetitive. And a lot of the songs I really just like because I love Chester and Mike's voices, if any other band sang some of these songs I wouldn't like them nearly as much. Great album though, I really couldn't do without a lot of these songs! :)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

01. Wake
    A good opener. They could probably have done worse than turning it into a full song or at least a longer instrumental. Some of Phoenix's better bass playing and some pretty Deftones-ish guitar. 7/10

02. Given Up
    Basically a raw, more aggressive take on their previous work. As such it has its limitations but it's fun to listen to and the way it's delivered does it the world of good, as opposed to being really polished. 7/10

03. Leave Out All The Rest
    At the opposite extreme to Given Up, a more melodic, polished, lower tempo song. Again it has its limitations but it's a decent attempt. 7/10

04. Bleed It Out
    I see this as being an up-to-date version of one of the more up-tempo songs from their previous albums. Really like the guitar playing and Mike's rapping. People say it's too repetitive but I think the song ebbs and flows well, and it's one of my favourite songs from this album. 7.5/10

05. Shadow of the Day
    I can't really listen to this without thinking about how certain parts sound really similar to With Or Without You by U2. That aside, it's just... there. It's a pleasant enough song but not a great one. 6/10

06. What I've Done
    I think I feel the same about this as I do about Given Up. It's alright but I think the way it's produced and mixed is what gives it the upper hand over songs they've released previously. The guitars are nice and textured and Chester sounds really good with a relatively raw recording, which definitely makes a difference. 7/10

07. Hands Held High
    One of Mike's better raps and some of their better lyrics, and some suitably subtle music that enhances the song without detracting from the vocals. On the other hand it could possibly have done with a better chorus. Part of me says it fits in well with the rest of the song, but on the other hand it could maybe have been a tiny bit more melodic and hooky. 7/10

08. No More Sorrow
    I like Mike's backing vocals, the bridge and the rawness. That said, it's easily the least convincing of the songs with political/social lyrics on the album and it comes off as forced to me. 5/10

09. Valentine's Day
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Dull as ditchwater, and I say that fully aware that somewhere there is probably some very offended ditchwater. 4/10

10. In Between
    I don't think this is nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to think. This is a good excercise in subtlety, with simple yet evocative lyrics and even Chester reigning his vocals in well. 7.5/10

11. In Pieces
    Not bad. I think the solo is a bit out of place though. It sounds almost like something from a Queen song which doesn't contrast well with the rest of the track. That aside, not bad by any means but I don't love it either. 7/10

12. The Little Things Give You Away
    I'd say is the best song on the album, and possibly their best song to date. Builds up then back down very nicely, good instrumental performances, there's a bit of wit in the lyrics which you don't always get from them, and the guitar solo here is in stark contrast to the one in In Pieces in that it fits perfectly. It's hard to find fault here. 8/10

It doesn't always hit the mark but when it does it's very good, and when it doesn't it's still ok usually. Hopefully it'll turn out to have been a stepping stone to better things. 7/10

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Alright here we go. I'm going to score these based on 2 things. Objective opinion on the songs as a whole, and objective opinion on what the song means for LP. Example: Shadow Of The Day is a simple ballad. But I gave it a .5 higher than average because it was very new for LP, and they pulled it off well. I tried to be as unbiased as possible, I like some of these songs better than their score and vice-versa.

Wake - Not going to score this one. I think it's an appropriate opening to the album, but as far as an instrumental song goes, it's not mind-blowing. Better than Foreword though. Ha.

Given Up - 3.5/5: Basically your average song from the Linkin Park bag-o-tricks, but with a more raw and punk sound. High energy. Lyrics leave something to be desired, same angst and all that. Chester's vocals obviously cannot be denied. Overall, an average track that went above and beyond for its kind.

Leave Out All The Rest - 4/5: Underrated song. The lyrics are really very honest, even if the overall sound is poppy. Chester uses some of his softer and quieter vocals in the verses, which sound really nice and are a good switch-up for him. For having such a hopeful, pop sound, the overall theme of this song is actually very dark if you think about it. I like that.

Bleed It Out - 3/5: Stylistically, this one is technically like the old LP. Rap verses, high powered singing chorus, and a screaming bridge. And yet, the way it's pulled off is so much different. Instead of being incredibly angry, it's like a party song. Even so, it's not incredible.

Shadow Of The Day - 3.5/5: LP's try at an alternative rock ballad is not a bad one at all. You can hear Phoenix! Chester's vocals are great as always. The lyrics are pretty ambiguous, but a step above the teen angst they've been known for. Simple guitar solo to finish it out. Overall this song is better than the sum of its parts.

What I've Done - 3.5/5: Some basic rock here. At the time I criticized this choice as the lead single, but it really is a good bridge between HT/Meteora and MTM. At this point in the album, things are starting to look a bit repetitive. Nice alternative rock music, nothing too complicated, big Chester vocals, it's getting a bit formulaic. Until...

Hands Held High - 5/5: Holy shit. This song just kind of sneaks up and kicks you in the nuts with its honesty and powerful lyrics. This song just defies the LP mold in almost every way (at least at the time). Hardly any guitar, instead being led by a drum beat and organ. Heavy lyrics dealing with political corruption, war, and death. The group "amen" chorus. This song gets a 5 for its message, and its step up in maturity for Linkin Park. One of the highest points on the album (no pun intended).

No More Sorrow - 3.5/5: The other heavy rock song on the album, this song is also pulled off a bit differently than past albums. This is mature anger basically. Lyrics can be taken as being about the government, yet are left ambiguous enough to be interpreted differently if you like. However, we seem to be taken back to LP's typical formula, just with a slightly different delivery.

Valentine's Day - 4/5: This song is another pleasant surprise. Song structure is a little different, as the "chorus" only appears once at the very end of the song. The lyrics, as well as the music, build through-out the song. When the line "and the ground below grew colder as they put you down inside" hits, you realize this song is about the death of a loved one, and all of a sudden this isn't just some sappy love song. It's a song dealing with loss.

In Between - 5/5: Huge step outside of the box. A lot of people criticize this song for having no emotion. I disagree completely. Just because it isn't loud doesn't mean there's no emotion. As a shy person myself, I appreciate the timid, subtle confession that is In Between. The lyrics here are also some of the best LP has written. "I cannot explain to you, in anything I say or do or plan. Fear is not afraid of you, but guilt's a language you can understand. I cannot explain to you, in anything I say or do, but hope the actions speak the words they can." Seriously. How poetic and metaphoric is that. Especially coming from the same people that wrote "I wanna heal, I wanna feel, what I thought was never real"? And of course, this is Mike's lead singing vocal debut.

In Pieces - 4.5/5: Another creative song for LP. Instrumentally is where this song differs from most Linkin Park music. Ska picking? A moderately difficult guitar solo? Chester's vocals are soothing but powerful at the same time.

The Little Things Give You Away - 5/5: I had wanted to make my descriptions of each song longer, but the album's been out so long I feel like everything's been said before. So I'll keep this short and sweet. Epic song. Powerful. 5/5.

Overall average MTM score: 4/5.

A 3.5/5 if we're just looking at the music, but keeping in mind what this album meant for Linkin Park, a 4.

Jacob

Jacob Guest

Troy, you're a hard rater! :lol:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It's been a while since I listened to the album end-to-end, but I think the opinions there are pretty much spot on in terms of what I think of the album. It was hard to score the individual tracks though.

Nemesis23

Nemesis23 Well-Known Member

My MTM Review
    Being a huge Linkin Park fan, it's really hard to review this album without any bias, but for the spirit of this thread, i will do so.

Wake- As soon as the track starts, you hear the needle drop on the record, to signify its start. The song slowly builds up into a typical octave over power chord riff, and behind it a very nice bassline from phoenix. Nice as far as intros go, and a nice start to the album ---7/10

Given Up- Your typical angsty punk song with heavy distorted guitars. There isn't much to take at face value and its very average. The swearing seems forced and isn't necessary. The only thing that brings it home is the bridge, and Chester's 18 second masterpiece of a scream.---7/10

Leave Out All The Rest-This song is really easy on the ears, and very soothing to listen to, but it's just that that's its fatal flaw. There really isn't any depth to the song at all, and the lyrics seem somewhat cheesy to me at least in the chorus, and when the end hits, you really wish there was more to it.---6/10

Bleed It Out-Just a really fun song to listen to. Mike's rap verses are superb, and very creative metaphorically, but like other songs on the album, it fails to reach its full potential. The guitars are nice, but its the chorus that sets this song back a couple notches. Nice attempt, but very average.---7/10

Shadow Of The Day-Unlike Leave Out All The Rest, this song has some nice depth to it, and really picks up at the end. Catchy chorus combined with soothing vocals from Chester in the verses really makes this a good listen.---8/10

What I've Done-From the very beginning, this song has you hooked. Eerie, halloween-esk piano kicks off the track, and it doesn't look back from there. It seems like something Linkin Park would have done on previous albums, but yet still feels very fresh. Chester really nails this one, and Brad lays down a guitar riff that will have you humming it for days. Lots of replayability here.---9/10

Hands Held High-What i don't understand, is why they decided to put some of the best lyrics mike has ever rolled off of his tongue, onto one of the most boring instrumentation they've ever written. Although the beat fits with the style of song that it is, it's just another track that just doesn't see what a masterpiece it could be, and unfortunately this is the result.---6/10

No More Sorrow-Apart from the Ebow intro to this song, it's a very generic political rock song. The lyrics literally have no layers to them, and if you took them at face value you would probably be at the right assumption. But you can't help but just be chilled by the Ebow throughout the song, and the bridge is a nice change of pace.---7/10

Valentine's Day-When this song starts, its just a very simple vocal over a very simple guitar riff and seems like a pop ballad. But what it evolves into is one of Linkin Park's most beautiful songs to date. Its a change of structure for them and this song really doesn't have a chorus, and with each part of the song, a layer is added. It slows down briefly with a niece piano piece before it slowly builds up to its dramatic conclusion and when the song ends, all you want is more.---9/10

In Between-Its not that I dont like Mike's singing, and it's not like i dont like the instrumentation, but when you put them together, its just blah. The lyrics are beautiful, but aren't delivered like they should be. Not much else you can say about the song. No layers, and very boring.---3/10

In Pieces-Can you say Linkin Park and Ska guitar in the same sentence? Yes you can. Everything about this song is brilliant. The drumming is some of Rob's best, the guitar is some of Brad's best, and Chester gives a very powerful vocal in which you can almost feel what he's going through. But its another song that leaves you clamoring for more, and you're never fully satisfied after hearing it.---9/10

The Little Things Give You Away-Epic, just epic. Thats the only way to describe this song. It's very beautiful. One of Chester's best performances, beautiful harmonizing with mike at the end, a spine chilling solo from Brad, and one hell of a drum piece put together by Rob. Just a beautiful song and the best on the album.---10/10

While not without its flaws, the album is a good listen. The best parts of the album are very good, while the bad parts are just average. Overall 7.5/10

cloudscream

cloudscream Static

Minutes to Midnight

Wake
    This intro track builds up well. This song feels like a lion that wakes up from his sleep with a roar.

Given Up
    Punchy guitar riff, keys (car keys), clapping, and a mean bass line. It's the first song after the intro track and the title is Given Up. Probably it's Linkin Park giving up their previous "nu metal" sound because it's so "suffocating," or it's just a song for those who want to vent all their anger and frustration. The heavy guitars and the 17-second scream at the bridge is a bliss.

Leave Out All The Rest
    A soft electronic song with hip hop beats. The guitar works in the background, playing only a single chord to add another layer for the chorus. Overall the song falls flat and sounds bland, but the melody and lyrics are quite good. Lyrics are contemplations about death, about imperfections and the regrets of the past.

Bleed It Out
    This song is a party song, with Mo-Town-ish drums, catchy guitar riff, and a chorus that makes your throat (and ears) bleed. However, this song contradicts itself. The lyrics talk about death and suicide, which means you are partying about death. Sounds like the chorus is a precursor to Blackout.

Shadow of the Day
    A slow, soft and emotional ballad. Has a very deep bass down to the lowest frequencies. This song hits its peak with guitars (and an octave higher) at the chorus towards the end. Powerful buildup, both emotionally and musically. A song that talks about the time when "goodbye's the only way," being positive about the inevitable end of one's life. ATS sonic counterpart is Iridescent.

That's the first section of the album that deals with personal issues that leads to death.
    Next is the part of the album that has political undertones.

What I've Done
    A straightforward song. Here's a compelling piano intro that explodes into guitar distortion. There are DJ scratches here and there. The drum beat suits the verses very nicely. The lyrics talk about regret and renewal, which can be taken as a personal thing, or can refer to the past acts of mankind. Typical song structure for a radio-friendly song, but it can't be overlooked for it's powerful message.

Hands Held High
    A rap track with a heavily-processed and layered vocal chorus of "Amen." A church organ is playing in the background. The rap verses is where Mike Shinoda spits out all his political grievances about war, violence and apathetic political leadership. The song ends with beautiful and optimistic melodies.

No More Sorrow
    An epic, politically-charged song. Powerful, heavy guitars that bang with equally heavy drumming, plus a blaring E-bow guitar effect that screams "revolution." Chester Bennington angrily shouts to those in power to step down, for they are just liars, thieves and hypocrites. Epic.

The 3rd part talks about relationships broken by death, lies and pride.

Valentine's Day
    Soft, melodic guitar at the start that continually builds to a crescendo of drum and bass. Simple but beautiful keyboards play in the bridge that lead to a loud "on a Valentine's Day" chorus. People may dismiss this song for it's subject matter, but despair and longing for someone you love is carefully expressed within the song's dark and metaphorical lyrics.

In Between
    With a depressing bass line with sparse instrumentation, this song aims to capture a man's honest apology. Mike's voice has a unique aesthetic that fit's the message of the song very well.

In Pieces
    Aggressive beats, with cool synth sounds. Chester sings about a relationship filled with dishonesty and lies. This is accompanied by a reggae-ish guitar that transforms to a fast guitar solo. Not too much in it but a very good track.

The album ends with those themes of death, politics and a tarnished relationship combined in a single track.

The Little Things Give You Away
    Every aspect of this track is outstanding: from the vulnerable and raw strumming of the acoustic guitar laced with electronic beats, to the exceptional drumming, the powerful vocals and the climactic and emotional guitar solo. Not to mention the magnificent vocal harmonies and layers at the end. The song talks about facing death and discovering that those in power doesn't give a shit about you.

Almost perfect rock album. Underrated because of the stark departure from the band's previous style, and irked some people because of the inclusion of soft ballads. This album is the foundation of better things to come for the band, a window to get out of their comfort zones.

Top Track: The Little Things Give You Away
    Worst Track: Leave Out All the Rest.
    OVerall rating: 8/10

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
    SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

It's been awhile since I looked at these songs. Let’s see how they feel for me after a bit of a break from them

Wake: A really good intro. It feels epic and sets a great mindset. It still puts me in a good thought even after I've heard the album like 6 million times. 8/10

Given Up. A fun track for sure. The guitar while simplistic makes you want to move and HOLY SHIT! We can hear the bass. Can you believe it? Audible BASS in a Linkin Park song. Chester shows off some vocal power and his screams sound really good. 17 second scream (and for those nonscreamers out there, that’s not easy) I like pretty much everything about this song but nothing mind blowing
    8/10

Leave Out All The Rest. A captivating intro. It makes you feel like you are looking up at the sky. Chester's voice is sweet and melodic and beat is calming. Nothing like a nice slow song after a fast song like Given Up. I really love the bridge when the rhythm guitar comes in. Overall a nice song but gets kind of old.
    7/10

Bleed It Out. A party song. Hey look at that Mike's rapping on this one. He has GREAT flow but lyrics are ridiculous. What is this song even about? Does anyone know? More of a "traditional" Linkin Park song with Mike and Chester going back and forth. SOOO much better live. Still a fun song
    8/10

Shadow Of The Day. It starts off interesting. Chester sings as if he is singing a lullaby which is ironic because the song starts to put me to sleep about a minute in. Like there is like nothing for the first 2 minutes that interest me at all. Then the solo and bridge comes in and then the song gets ok. Ends on a high note but remained so boring for so long I skip it every time it comes up on shuffle
    5/10

What I've Done. Nice piano intro that sets a nice mood. The song is simple enough musically and lyrically but still does an ok job of keeping things balanced. With that said there really isn’t any moments that make me want to listen to this song again and again aside from the solo. Ends strong. Ok song overall
    7/10

Hands Held High. Starts off like something that will be played at a funeral. You make think that’s a criticism but it isn’t. That organ(or whatever) really pushes the song forward and Rob’s snare completes the mood. Mike unleashes his best rapping performance to date. The amen’s really make me get this song. I LOVE this song
    10/10

No More Sorrow. When I first heard this intro I thought it could become as famous as the opening riff to One Step Closer but apparently not ha. This song has an epic feel to it and I dig it. Chester’s vocal performance is good and again makes me want to MOSH. I really like Mike’s backup vocals here. I dig the bridge too. I like A LOT about this song but at the end of it all I always say to myself “meh, that’s an ok song”
    7/10

Valentine’s Day- Mostly everything about this song is unappealing to me. Chester sounds like he is bored when he is singing this one and this song really doesn’t pick up till like the last minute of the song and that wasn’t even noteworthy. The 2nd worst song on the album followed by…
    3/10

In Between- A BORING intro followed by A BORING vocal performance by Mike. The song is so monotonous it isn’t even funny. I like the harmonics during the chorus. That’s the only positive thing I can say about this song. This song can burn for all I care
    0/10

In Pieces- Starts off with simple beat but as the song goes on you can feel it grow. Chester sings so well here. IMO this is one of his best vocal performances on the whole entire album. The ska like guitar comes in and I’m captivated. I’m invested in this song and then the solo totally blows my mind. Sure it isn’t the “flashiest” solo ever but it fits perfectly for the song. So glad because this song really made up for the snooze fest that In Between was.
    10/10

The Little Things Give You Away
    I love the intro to this one, the strange noises really set things up well for the acoustic guitar. This is another song that you can feel grow as the song goes on. Chester sings like an angel here. It build and builds until the bridge. Rob really does a good job of setting up that solo. The solo is beautiful and lyrics mean a lot. A great song and a perfect way to end an album
    9/10

All and all MTM wasn’t a bad album. It was ok. I liked 2 or 3 songs a lot and the others are meh, that’s ok. There isn’t a lot that I would want to re-play. I skip a large majority of this album now and it’s a damn shame
    Composite score 82/120 = 68%
    If we were in school that would be an F
    Haha. Well my overall rating is a very unenthusiastic 7/10